Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Ignition mods and stumble..still there?? Techron and stumble

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:49 PM
minifletch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know many of you have beefed up your ignition with M7 plasma boosters, nology wires, etc. Did this help, or effect stumble at all?

Secondly, anyone tried techron...did it help? :smile:

Old 09-14-2003, 12:42 AM
Felix88
1st Gear
500 miles ago I upgraded my ignition system with the one from Pilo Racing and the stumbles are gone and have not returned.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:09 AM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
Felix this in no way doubting your results, but with so many different aspects to the stumble and some caes have and some don't and some have different saftware versions, etc, etc, etc, I am hoping some other folks can also give us a take on ignition effect on the stumble. You seem to be the only one who has achieved those results. At the same time you seem to be the only one who has tried it. Sure am glad you got yours fixed and I hope I can do the same.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Felix88
1st Gear
Many of us MCS owners including BMW MINI are looking for the "answer" to the stumble problem. So far, all we have are guesses as to the cause. BMW may know better but they ain't saying. As for the rest of us: Some say it's hardware and others say it's software... and there are others say that its a combination of both ( I am with the latter group). The most stricking point with the stumbling problem is that it does not affect each MCS the same way. Some have the problem, others don't, some severly, some not.... etc, etc. So how do we solve a problem such as this..... Until BMW comes out with the answer... many of us simply add "stuff" to our MINI and hope something works.... other sit and wait for BMW.... at yet others poke at those who "seem" to have their problem solved. Note that I used the word "seem" - because I am not a techie and I don't know what just happened... I don't know if my fix is permanent.....all I know is that I was desperate - I was looking for a fix and willing to take a chance with 100+ dollars. Note that Pilo made no claim that their system will resolve the stumble issue. I simply assumed that probably bigger "bangs" in the chambers could have a positive effect.

And, I believe, the question posted by Minifletch was: has those of us who meddled with the ignition system had any success ... and my respond to that was simply: Hey! I tried the Pilo system (which included the coil, wires and plugs) and it worked for me..... and if you are looking for a solution, probably you should look into this system.... I am just sharing my experience and joy of not experiencing the stumble anymore. But there just seem to be resistance of the idea that this can work. Am I saying that it will work for you. No. All I am saying is that it worked for me, period. Was it a freck accident... maybe, who knows. In fact I post the question to Pilo earlier: why is that I am the only one who had anything to say on the system. Am I the only one who has this system? According to them, I am not the only one but I am really surprise with the "zero" reaction from the others who has the system... either positive or negative.

The bottom line, however, is that I have a grin and just can't wait to get into my MCS, even when I have do the the LA traffic dance....which is: stop...go...stop...go. Before it was: stop...go...stumble/stumble...go...stop....go....stumble/stumble...go. Is just so much much more fun now.

Have fun guys and gals.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
Thanks Felix,
Again, I am not questioning your results at all, in fact maybe I am just envious and want the same results but don't like to part with $ unless I am pretty sure I will achieve those results. Enjoy your stumble free MINI.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:54 PM
tomorthway
1st Gear
hi what is pilo how much will it void your warrenty? thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 04:40 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Check out the Sponsor Directory lots of good companies that support this web sight. Here is the direct link to Dan's sight.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Mcooper
2nd Gear
Hey y'all
reading the post about the Pilo ignition, it seems that we are hitting Felix pretty hard.
Me?, after reading what Felix had to say. I called Pilo, to see if it may work for me.
The way I look at it, it's the cheapest Mod that's out there. There's guys that swap exhaust systems like using rubber gloves! Talk about money!!

So I am waiting to get the system from Pilo, should be here this week. The way I look at it, if it fixes the stumble GREAT! if not, I just wasted more money on the LOTTO.

I think that if this fixed Felix's stumble. Hoo-Rah! for Felix :smile:
I like to point out that the stumble I have is not my "S" it's my cooper.

I want another Mini cooper!

Old 09-17-2003, 12:06 PM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
Check my post on the Pilo ignition thread. I had the stumble BAD after an ECU upgrade to solve the Cold Start problem, then:

Mini-Madness Intake - Stumble about 50% less noticeable

Magnecor Wires - No Change

Techron additive - Noticeable Change (but not much)

Alta Supercharger Air diverter - No Change (didn't really expect one anyway)

Pilo Ignition Coil, Accel Plug opened up to .065 - Stumble almost GONE!!!

Combine all that with the inevitable slight change in clutch/rev technique that the stumble forces one to adopt, and I would say I'm now 99% stumble free.

AND, the engine seems smoother, pulls a bit harder and the yoyo is DEFINITELY GONE.

BTW, July 02 Build MCS

Old 09-18-2003, 06:34 PM
minifletch
3rd Gear
Yes, the pilo coil pack, nology wires and appropriate plugs seem to be the setup I am leaning towards..maybe the iridium plugs. The M7 thingy sounds great but I would opt for 2-nology pc-10 booster instead. I think the pilo plus the pc-10 would give a fierce spark!! I can tell you all that as an old porsche guy the pc-10 works (2-differant porsches great results)

Old 09-23-2003, 11:40 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
I just installed an MSD coil and Magnecor 8.5mm wires last weekend. I did that because when I added the Denso IK22 sparkplugs the engine was hard to start cold. The coil and wires made a noticeable improvement. The engine seemed to spin up in RPM's much quicker, seemed snapper in general. This was most noticeable from idle to 5000 rpm. It still has the stumble but only one time when cold and only if the DSC is on. This mod was still worth the money IMO.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Radman
1st Gear
All, There are some many posts on the stuble issue in so many different areas, it's hard for a newbie like me to make heads or tails of what is goin on here. Can anyone explain how the "Stumble" problem manifests itself? Is it the same for everyone, or are we potentially looking at different issues?

My car won't start on the first time in the morning. I almost always have to re-start the engine. Is this related to stumbel?

Thanks and and sorry for all the newbie questions.

--Radman

Old 09-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
>>All, There are some many posts on the stuble issue in so many different areas, it's hard for a newbie like me to make heads or tails of what is goin on here. Can anyone explain how the "Stumble" problem manifests itself? Is it the same for everyone, or are we potentially looking at different issues?
>>
>>My car won't start on the first time in the morning. I almost always have to re-start the engine. Is this related to stumbel?
>>
>>Thanks and and sorry for all the newbie questions.
>>
>>--Radman

The stumble is not a cold starting problem, although some have both, most have one or the other. The stumble is a quick, stall-like feeling that occurs as the clutch is released in first gear, most pronounced between 1500 and 2500 RPMs. It is worst on the first take off of the day or after a long shut off period and is present to a lesser degree at other times. Your cold start problem is fixable with a software change, but if you do that and don't currently have the stumble chances are you will end up with the stumble. I'll let it go at that and you can read the rest of the miriad posts on the issue.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Hate to say it, but the main thread named "Stumble" (the 20+ page one) is still the best place to go for answers. After a read through of just the first couple of pages you'll get it.

You have a "Cold Start" issue which is not necessarily related to the Stumble. As a matter of fact, people usually have one and not the other. Stumble occurs when accelerating from a stop in first gear. At the point at which the transmission fully engages, when releasing the clutch pedal, the engine seems to hiccup for about a half second causing a lurching feeling. That's the Cliff's Notes for you. Read on!

Old 09-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Radman
1st Gear
Chitown_COOP and Lakesands,

Thanks for the help. I'm in process of going through all the threads related to stumble and cold start and hopefully I'll figure out what to do. I have an appointment for the first oil change at the dealer next week, and I want to be knowledgeable when I go in.

--Radman