R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Please educate me about Turbo Hoses and Exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please educate me about Turbo Hoses and Exhaust mods

I've been modding cars for the past 15 years and fully understand brakes, suspension and some minor engine performance mods and their functionality. This is my first Turbo'd vehicle and would appreciate if anyone is willing to further educate me on a few items (performance mods). I've read the descriptions on different vendor sites but am more interested in the truth (as opposed to the sales pitch),whether they actually work and if the cost/performance ratio makes them worth purchasing. Ps, I have an 07 MCS 6-speed with an intake, BOV and Borla cat-back. My goal is obviously to increase performance without increasing my exhaust tone to sound obnoxious as it sounds perfect at the moment. Added turbo sound is always welcome.

The items I'm referring to include:

1) intake manifold spacer
2) forged intake hose
3) silicone turbo hoses
4) air charge pipe
5) discharge pipe
6) noise maker delete
7) downpipe, catless vs high flow cat

Again, I am a complete noob in this performance area and am not sure whether or not some of the items I listed contradict one another. I'm also strongly considering either the JB or NM Power Modules, not really looking for an ECS tune. Will adding the mentioned performance items further complement these power modules any further?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by GAT; 10-02-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 AM
fsrbullet
1st Gear
+1

I am right there with you! Would love to see what folks have to say on this thread!

Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a lot on your list. for the R56, Less is more. For performance, the best mods are Tune, Intercooler, and DP*. The other piping looks good in the engine bay, but really doesn't make measurable power.

*Catless or 'high flow' catted pipes do make power, but with some compromises: first, they're illegal in most states, if not all, and second, they make the car's emissions stink to high heaven. You have to decide whether you can live with that.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:14 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Helix,

Appreciate your honest response. Thx

Old 10-02-2015, 03:58 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Before you add more stuff, find a tuner and work with him. Hoses and pipes add little to performance, but increasing the engine "breathing" by minimizing exhaust back-pressure is a positive step, if it's legal in your driving neighborhood. Budget usually determines which mods are the most useful. Most people stick with bolt-ons, i.e. FMIC and CAI, and are quite happy with them. Huge selection is available. I can't comment on the power modules you reference --- no experience with them. Popular Mini tuners include Manic, Battle / DNA, and Jan at RMW.

Big budget items include a high-volume turbo, Water/Meth Injection (WMI), ported / relieved head, beefed-up engine internals, 3" exhaust system. However, with any of these, a dyno tune is mandatory if you want maximum performance results. Try looking up some of the build threads on this and other forums. Lotsa good info if you have the time to read them.

And remember, when you're done modding, it's still a 4 cylinder, 1.6L power train. There's always someone else out there with more power.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 PM
potterstein
2nd Gear
Sounds like all you really need is an intercooler and tune. Wagner and Helix FMIC's run about $600, as does a stage 2 Manic tune. The tune will give you a lovely jump in power and the FMIC will keep things running happy.

The boost tubes look nice, but you don't get much power. The muffler delete gives a SLIGHT change in tone, but nothing significant. WMW sells a noise maker delete that keeps the stock tube (http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-noi...5-r56-r57.html) ...i didn't notice any change with this though, and i doubt the more expensive NM tube would do much either.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
For what you've said the Intercooler will be your best bang for the buck. Then we would do the Noise Maker Delete and Res delete pipes as we find the throttle response to be slightly better with them.

After that an ECU tune will really be your bang for the buck

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more