R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Steptronic shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:26 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steptronic shifting

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone noticed this. Whenever I use the manual mode of the steptronic and i brake, the transmission shifts down by itself. I mean I know this is "automated" manual, but isn't this baby-ing a little bit too much? I keep making the mistake that I need to downshift, and whenever I do that I downshift more than I have to. I didn't see in the manual of a way to turn this off, is that even feasible? or do I have to live with this? If this is the case, then the only thing that transmission is good for is to shift up.. lol.. lame

- Cow

Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is to learn how the transmission works. I don't know why anyone would brake and down shift at the same time unless you are on the track. I believe if you down shift first and then brake I don't think your car down shift again at least mine doesn't.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
I've noticed this as well, I too have the automatic and don't know how to drive a stick, however I have messed around with the manual mode in the car. And +1 for no braking and downshifting at the same time. In the few times I've used the manual mode, I've anticipated having to stop, therefore have been able to downshift and roll to it, instead of braking.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CowSClubman
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone noticed this. Whenever I use the manual mode of the steptronic and i brake, the transmission shifts down by itself. I mean I know this is "automated" manual, but isn't this baby-ing a little bit too much? I keep making the mistake that I need to downshift, and whenever I do that I downshift more than I have to. I didn't see in the manual of a way to turn this off, is that even feasible? or do I have to live with this? If this is the case, then the only thing that transmission is good for is to shift up.. lol.. lame

- Cow
If the transmission shifted down for you that means you missed the shift, and if it did not downshift for you the engine would have stalled and possibly damaged the transmission. If stalled, you then would have to find neutral or stop and put in in park in order to start the engine again. Much safer to downshift for you when you forget.

The auto downshift also keeps the engine running on a panic stop so you don't loose your power steering traction control, ABS etc when you need them the most. (Some of those might still work with engine off? I don't know).
In a manual you can mash the clutch and brake at the same time to keep from stalling. Can't do that with the manual mode auto.

Notice that the auto downshifting stops at M2. So leave it there until you stop and then you can shift down to M1 manually.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The automatic transmission in the mini is not an "automated manual". An "automated manual" is a different type of transmission where a true manual transmission is actuated by various motors, servos, and relays. These transmissions are very sophisticated and very very expensive. You can find these in F1 race cars, some Ferraris, and other similar vehicles.

Then there is the DCT, which is a type of hybrid box that utilizes some of the technology of a manual box and combines it with some automatic technology.

What we have in the Mini is a fairly advanced technology automatic transmission. Our box is electronically actuated by the shifter or paddles when in "manual mode"

The automatic downshift to 2nd is an assistance to the operator. The car companies found that the average user forgets to downshift to 1st or 2nd when stopping. As a result, people were often trying to start off from a stop in too high a gear which causes drivability problems. It is a good system and works a little differently in sport mode as apposed to regular mode. Once you get used to it, it's a nice feature.

The automatic downshifting has nothing to do with keeping the engine running in a panic stop. Stalling the engine with an automatic transmission is rarely if ever a problem. Once the torque converter "unlocks" there is no direct connection between the engine and the wheels.

Last edited by djdraddy; 07-04-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 PM
cprcrazy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CowSClubman

- Cow
I agree with you, the up shifting is way more fun. Quickly passing a vehicle or going uphill. I used to drive standard but had an automatic transmission before I got my MINI. One thing I wanted was driving a stick shift again, but all of a sudden I was in the position to choose a MINI and the one I wanted, a black one was an automatic with steptronic so I thought, well then I have both! I find it a lot of fun, but yes sometimes when you too slow, or forget to downshift it goes by itself. First I was a bit annoyed by it yes, but like I said I use it more to upshift now and I love it!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm so used to it now, I don't even notice it. Good thing is, it just happens. No clutch, no shifting.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Thanks guys! I guess I just don't know how the trans work as I have never driven a manual before. So when I anticipate a stop, I should down shift, then hit the brakes. That helps a lot. I will try that and maybe let it coast to a stop with down shifting instead of hitting the brakes and down shift.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
What I don't get is why the car companies have these pseudo-sequential shifters at all. I had one in my Dodge Intrepid and I could tell those "engineers" know nothing about what a sequential shifter does. The so-called "manual" mode does absolutely nothing in that car. It even downshifts when you stop! Just marketing crap. I wish that a car company would make an affordable car with a real sequential shifter. And to let those "engineers" know what I'm talking about: the point of the system is to bridge the gap between a full automatic and manual. The system engages the clutch according to your performance and you up/downshift manually. It's not as fast as a complete manual but slightly faster than an automatic. And you HAVE to downshift back to first when you stop when you have the shifter in the manual mode. That's how it's supposed to work. Oh, and yes, it's supposed to improve the car's performance a bit, not make it slower!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:33 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Sorry beasleboy, that's just not gonna happen.

The BMW/Mini engineers have given the marketplace an electronically actuated automatic transmission designed for a street car that is a bit more fun to drive than a typical automatic. It has a few "automatic" features that enhance the drivability for the average user to make it an overall fun trans to own.

The closes you can get on the street in a reasonable priced car is the DCT but that's not a true sequential box.

The type of gearbox you are talking about would cost half as much as the car itself. If you want that transmission on the street you need to look at some of the ferraris that have them. I think the McLaren F1 has that tranny too.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only time I downshift and brake at the same time is if I have to stop real real fast. usually I just brake. and shift down to first once I've stopped.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by klricks
if the transmission shifted down for you that means you missed the shift,
+1