R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 That Sad Day Has Come (and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 04:02 PM
MIMiniDriver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as much as I dreaded it and drived defensivly, an owners fear was realized last night at 6:15 p.m. An SUV with an inattentive drive rear-ended my Mini. The results weren't too bad. A crease in the hatch of about 15 inches and scraped up bumper. However, I'll be needing some repairs. She was going between 5-10 mph (I think), and the car held up well.

I was truly upset at this event. I've invested so much of myself into this little car, that I was extremely depressed. Then today, I forced myself to realize that life goes on. My son and I were safe after the accident (just a big bump, really). I'll get the car fixed, hopefully as good as new. The police report put the other driver at fault. And finally, but very important to me, what kind of life lesson do I want to teach my kids about forgiveness (the other driver and I met at the police station and filed a report, and she and her husband were very nice about the incident) and keeping priorities straight. A funny story, when I met other driver at the police station, her husband said, "oh no, you hit a Mini". I sensed he felt my pain.

I've called my insurance company and expect them to get back to me Monday, so the repair process will hopefully be started next week.

Anyway, I do have some questions that maybe the rest of you can help with, especially Michigan residents. First, who has done body work in SE Michigan on your Mini that you would recommend? I bought the car from Motor City Mini, and I suspect their BMW dealership has a body shop or a recommended repair shop. Anyone had any work done there, and were you pleased?

Also, even though the crease could probably be repaired on the hatch, I'm thinking that it may be cheaper (or close to the same price) to replace the hatch altoghether (even if I have to pick up the difference). I don't think the scrapes on the bumper can be replaced. Any thoughts on that point?

Also, about how long does it take to order parts for a repair like this? I'm figuring a couple weeks after the shop takes a look at it.

Also, anyone had any similar incidents they'd care to share?

That's it. I couldn't have written about this last night. I was too devestated. Now, in keeping with all things Mini, I look at this as just some "experience" in Mini ownership.

Thanks for reading.

Old 03-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Autometrics is about two doors down from Motor City MINI, and they've been known for their excellent work.

Best of luck!
Ryan

Old 03-08-2003, 04:16 PM
stovepipejones
4th Gear
Congrats on having PERSPECTIVE!!! So few these days seem to have it, and you clearly do. I am a MI MINI owner myself, and have luckily been unscathed so far. Getting hit from the rear in MI is a good thing, oddly enough. You should not even be liable for your deduction. The insurer of the SUV should cover your deductible. Talk to your insurer about this or file a tort claim.
Talk to Ken @ MCM about where to take your baby in for repairs. Good luck, and I'm so glad you and everyone involved are safe!

Old 03-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
Sorry about your MINI! I am glad you and your son were not hurt. and as a positive, you met a nice couple who treated you well and stepped up to the plate. It says allot about how good people can be even in a terrible situation.

Your MINI will be as good as new!!

Old 03-08-2003, 04:43 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
I don't think you're liable for any of the damage. Hence you have no deductable. Their insurance will be fronting the bill to get your car fixed. I don't even think your insurance needed to know about it. Unfortunatly now that they know, they will raise your rates. Seems very unfair.

Old 03-08-2003, 04:49 PM
MIMiniDriver
1st Gear
In Michigan, I think each insured pays for their own repairs, subject to the deductible. I may have the deductible waived due to the other drivers fault. I'll have to check on that.

It says allot about how good people can be even in a terrible situation.
It's true that things so far have gone well between the parties. I do have to say I was a bit disappointed in my reaction after it happened. I had to have some "alone time" in order to come back to reality.

Old 03-08-2003, 04:51 PM
MIMiniDriver
1st Gear
>>Autometrics is about two doors down from Motor City MINI, and they've been known for their excellent work.
>>
>>Best of luck!
>>Ryan

Do you happen to know if that's who Motor City Mini will use, or do they do their own work?

Thanks for the quick input, by the way.

Old 03-08-2003, 05:03 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
For future reference the British are developing a feature for their tanks that will explode oncoming shells before they hit the tank. It might be unseemly, increase the drag, and add a second to the 60 time, but the first time an SUV rams you, it would be worth it.

Minis fight back.

That or somekind of missile defense system.

Old 03-08-2003, 05:22 PM
beshaw
2nd Gear
Last week, while on a business trip to Boston I spent a night at a Red Roof Inn with my Mini parked directly out front completely illuminated by the hotel's lights.
Several times during the evening while milling about my room on the second floor I peeked outside to see my Mini resting after driving it hard from Albany that day. Just before I was to get out of my jeans and lie down for some tv and sleep I took another look to see 4 kids "horsing-around" out front. They all had hockey sticks and small duffle bags over their shoulders. They seemed to be checking out my car, occasionally one would shove another around, then it happend. One of the kids raised his stick and brought it down smack onto the side of the hood/fender. Sh_t ... I could not believe it. After punching a small hole in the wall of the hotel room, I ran outside and chased the four kids down, grabbing one of them. After the expected "I didn't do anything, he did it" group explainations, I had to make a decision. I wanted to knock these kids into next week, I was more than pissed off and standing outside without a shirt, socks or shoes. I told them that they messed up my car, stole $500 from my pocket, and far worse, tested my faith that kids like them were worth being at all cool with. I asked them if they thought that they knew just how hard it was for me not to break two noses and take teeth from the rest. After the group knod, I told them to get home and try not to be completely useless when they get there.

Thanks for letting me "vent" ... I think that I am still pissed.

Old 03-08-2003, 05:28 PM
MIMiniDriver
1st Gear
Thanks for letting me "vent" ... I think that I am still pissed.
Maybe just a little. Malicious destruction has to be harder to take than accidental. I hope the damage wasn't too severe.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
Knutson's Body shop is an excellent shop..in Westland,,but probably ask Motor City Min their recommendation 1st and then go look at the cars they repair especially 1's that are the same color as yours..