R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I thought the headlamps automatically turned off when you shut the car off? (unless you activate the "pathway lighting" option, of course)

I guess the parking lamps would still remain on, though.

Yes the parking lights do stay on ...

My dad keeps leaving his lights on ... and I would like to help stop a potential problem

Old 04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
poyzin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choice can be good but the consequences of those choices are often thrust upon the innocent. To continue the child resistant cap example . . . many adults with kids out of the house choose to "flip the cap over" and let their gaurd down. Well, as I'm sure you could guess, we get a significant number of ingestions from these compromised vials when the grandkids come to visit grandma and grandpa. Indeed there ARE measures that are/should be forced on you such as seat belts, motorcycle helmuts and speed limits

poyzin

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
But it would be nice if the manufacturers gave us the choice (especially those of us without children). To continue your example, many prescription pill bottle lids can be flipped over to act as non-childproof lids if so desired. Likewise, many cars allow you disable the interior rear door pulls *if you wish* so that kids can't open the doors from the inside, but they don't force the feature on you.

Personally, I love the single-touch auto-up on my MINI's windows, but I'm sad that I had to resort to an aftermarket circuit to get it.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
Yes the parking lights do stay on ...

My dad keeps leaving his lights on ... and I would like to help stop a potential problem
I don't know of any circuits/modifications specifically for the lights, but there are cutoff devices you can install on the battery that will disconnect the battery when the voltage drops to a certain level, while still leaving you with enough power to start the car once you've reset the cutoff.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by poyzin
Choice can be good but the consequences of those choices are often thrust upon the innocent. To continue the child resistant cap example . . . many adults with kids out of the house choose to "flip the cap over" and let their gaurd down. Well, as I'm sure you could guess, we get a significant number of ingestions from these compromised vials when the grandkids come to visit grandma and grandpa. Indeed there ARE measures that are/should be forced on you such as seat belts, motorcycle helmuts and speed limits

poyzin
This can turn political quickly, so let's not go there... while some regulations seem clear and defensible... the "if it saves one childs life" yardstick would have us banning all cars, bicycles, horseback riding, swingsets, swimming pools, beaches, marshmallows, peanuts, skateboards.... it's not an effective measure of risk vs. benefit IMHO.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
. . . and would also have us ban the subject of the "quickly-becoming-the-most-OVERUSED-emoticon" --

Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alarm Light above Tac

OK, so I tried searching this thread so I didn't double tap, but I didn't find anything. You can beat me later if I'm just echoing someone smarter...

I just learned from another NAM attendee and from my own happenstance that: if you don't properly close one of the doors, the alarm LED (on top of the tac on the '07) flashes quickly and brightly. USUALLY, with the alarm on, it's a slow pulse glow.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
eatonjb
1st Gear
I don't know if this was mentioned..

I know the turning off the motion sensor was talked about , locking the car twice.. but when you do that the red light goes solid for about 2-3 seconds

Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM
KittyMini
3rd Gear
I don't know if this was mentioned.....
but you can reset your mpg counter. According to it, I averaged 69mpg on my last highway trip

Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
I'll bite. . . I haven't tried it. . . but it might work . . . but why would I want my car to ding when I hold the key next to the ignition? Is it like a message for the really motor unskilled, "keep trying, you're getting close."
I think it was created for blind people so they can find the ignition easier

Old 05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
preludestuntin
2nd Gear
I think it's so that you know you have the right key for the right car...perhaps for technicians at the Mini dealer...but then again, the lights blink when you hit the lock button. IDK why they did it. I guess just one of those nifty little things BMW does with their cars.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
It was done to give owners something to talk about on forums.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimic
when you turn the car off, take the key out of the ignition and open either of the doors, the windows will come down slightly (like in a convertible). when you close the door, the window will go up to the original position.
I don't want to sound line a d1ck but how can you not notice this the frist time you open/close door on your new car? It's one of the most obvious things on our cars and can't imagine anyone who didn't notice this until they read this post

Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rallymaniac
I don't want to sound line a d1ck but how can you not notice this the frist time you open/close door on your new car? It's one of the most obvious things on our cars and can't imagine anyone who didn't notice this until they read this post
When you squeeze the chrome thingie's on either door on the outside, the doors open.....

Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
The gas pedal has its BMW part # written on it
the calipers also say BMW on them

Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by call it spade
the calipers also say BMW on them
There are a TON of parts that say BMW. Nothing new. Since MINI has its own part numbering scheme, it's rather more interesting that the BMW PN is on the accelerator.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The spot under the switches, above the front cupholders has a compartment door that comes down that holds my garage door opener (it has vent-like openings that you can push to access the opener button)! Im not sure if thats what its for, but it works!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ also a great place to install the AUX input.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I am a new Mini Owner, just picked up an 04 MCS with a nav System. I have read through all 51 pages of this and learned alot of great things.
I also read through the owners manual and could not find something, maybe someone here can help.
In front of the cigerette lighter there are 2 small buttons marked on and off, I have no idea what these do. I have left both in the on position.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JRoca
I am a new Mini Owner, just picked up an 04 MCS with a nav System. I have read through all 51 pages of this and learned alot of great things.
I also read through the owners manual and could not find something, maybe someone here can help.
In front of the cigerette lighter there are 2 small buttons marked on and off, I have no idea what these do. I have left both in the on position.
Try taking a pic of the buttons & location - might help those smarter than me give you an answer...But I don't remember anything like that in my '04...

Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 AM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 07BPB
PS. Just out of curiousity, in the American Mini's when you use the toggle switches to put up the windows. Does the drivers side window go up with one click and the passengers window has to be held to get it to go up? Or is it switched?
Both driver and passenger windows are 1-touch up and down on my Clubman. I can't imagine I'm the only one??

Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
in the American Mini's when you use the toggle switches to put up the windows. Does the drivers side window go up with one click and the passengers window has to be held to get it to go up? Or is it switched?

Both driver and passenger windows are 1-touch up and down on my Clubman. I can't imagine I'm the only one??
Previous US MINIs did not have auto-up (one touch) on either window.
Newer ones -- the 08s -- are supposd to have the European driver's side auto-up

Dogtor, are you sure you have auto-up on the passenger window? I didn't think any MINIs had that -- but I have often been wrong.

Last edited by eager2own; 05-19-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
First Gen MINIs?

Originally Posted by DOGTOR

I thought this was the First Generation MINI (02-06) R53 forum...or is it just me whos lost?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lawmann
I thought this was the First Generation MINI (02-06) R53 forum...or is it just me whos lost?
Correct. I don't even know what an R56 is.... is that an energy drink or something?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM
chadohaight
Neutral
Things you didn't know about your mini

With the onboard computer, is there a way to make it show the digit speed just like mini's show if they don't have the computer?

Chad

Quick Reply: R50/53 Things You Didn't Know About Your MINI