Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Need critisizm on my planned system please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 08:01 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is the setup I have for my system. I am in the process of purchasing the JL 300/4 amp so that is part isn't changing. I like the nakamichi head unit because it looks incredibly similar to the MINI's current one and doesn't have little pandas dancing around on a screen. The front speakers are basically MBquart's last years top of the line speakers which most people believe to be better than the current ones. A sub is going to be phase two because I can barely afford this system.

Head Unit
nakamichi CD400

Amplifier
JL 300/4

Front Speakers
MB QUART QM 218.61Q
6.5" 2-Way Q Series Separate

Rear Speakers
MB quart Discus DTE 169

Old 11-02-2003, 08:25 PM
CoopingInDC
3rd Gear
sounds like something in the back of a civic

kididng.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:55 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Not sure what to say on the head unit. After Nakamichi pulled all their home audio gear out the US market or at least from all the dealers has left a terribly bad taste in my mouth. Home audio is my business, I have a good relationship with a car audio shop.

My .02 is to buy equip from a car audio specialty company like Eclipse or Alpine.

JL audio amps are amazing, excellent choice.

Have you thought about Focal speakers (personal favority)? I find speakers to be a very personal decision, try before you buy.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:57 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
are there any other companies that make stock looking head units. I really don't like the LCD screens. I want really simple so it looks stock. I will check out the focals which ones do you recomend?

Old 11-05-2003, 09:41 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use a MB75 on my modded 01' G20. sounds great with the factory Bose speakers.

I use other Nak home stereo stuff and they all work great.

imo, the cooper's speakers are all right. it just needs a little more umph in the
bass (loudness mode) and work the faders a tad (front speaker biased).

Old 11-05-2003, 11:31 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>here is the setup I have for my system. I am in the process of purchasing the JL 300/4 amp so that is part isn't changing. I like the nakamichi head unit because it looks incredibly similar to the MINI's current one and doesn't have little pandas dancing around on a screen. The front speakers are basically MBquart's last years top of the line speakers which most people believe to be better than the current ones. A sub is going to be phase two because I can barely afford this system.
>>
>>Head Unit
>>nakamichi CD400

This is the HU that I have had now for about 5 months- works like a charm. No problems. Does it's job. No nonsense. No gimmicks and fancy lights. Looks like stock. Has amber and green displays on demand. Removable faceplate.
Has RCA inputs for aux input-I connected a five foot aux in stereo jack cable to it that sits on my euro parcel shelf.
Comes with separate bass,mid, high and sub controls built in.

>>Amplifier
>>JL 300/4
>>
>>Front Speakers
>>MB QUART QM 218.61Q
>>6.5" 2-Way Q Series Separate

These are expensive. Are they really worth the cost? Depends on you. Will they fit? Maybe. You'll need a good installer. The tweeter is a bit larger than stock and the 6.5" will need a custom spacer adapter to fit in the door.
>>
>>Rear Speakers
>>MB quart Discus DTE 169
I have these and that are fine for the rear area- I have the HU supply the power because I have a four channel amp that is driving the front speakers while two channels are bridged to drive a sub.

The addition of a subwoofer is a reasonable next step at some point. The reason is that for good strong bass you are going to need something heftier than the 6.5" woofer in the front doors. It all depends on your tastes and your results.
Try it all out without the sub and see what you think. To drive the front speakers with enough bass would risk distortion is what I found so I added the sub but my MB Quarts in the front were only the standard Discus line so they could not keep up. With the sub they are now doing just fine and are not overworked like they used to be.

I think you should be ok-and be sure to add sound deadening material to the front doors and listen for feedback from insuffient grounding of your power cables. (It sounds like a high pitched whine).

Old 11-06-2003, 07:54 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
what do you guys think about infinity KAPPA PERFECT 6.1 6 1/2" Component System (Pair). They are quite a bit less expensive so I would probably be able to afford a sub in addition to the my current layout.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:49 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
I found a review or two
http://www.carreview.com/PRD_97641_1805crx.aspx
http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Infinity_Kappa_Perfect_6_1
and a source -I'm sure you have some too. $495+ retail? Discounted to $219+
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFPERFECT61
http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Infinity_Kappa_Perfect_6_1

Sensitivity is 90 dB vs the stock front speaker is 89 dB
The sounddomain review was pretty good. You need to hear them in person.

With most of these internet specials the warranty is 1 year or less.
With my pro audio shop installs they do three year warranty.