R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The Mods Begin! - R53 Performance/Maintenance Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:30 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mods Begin! - R53 Performance/Maintenance Work

Well the Modifications have begun! I'll be posting all my modification before/after photos and videos as I complete each one.

First up to the Plate would be exhaust. I chose to install the exhaust before some other components because I wanted a comparison video of the exhaust with the car completely Stock. Then after some engine work (CAI, Pulley...) I'll make more of a comparison.

I went with the Milltek exhaust cat back exhaust system (non-res) after researching quit a few cat back systems. I really liked the Borla sound and name but the $$ was quite high. Magnaflow had a really great sound and probably was on the louder end (which would be fine by me, but some don't care for it being too loud). However the deciding factor for me was the deeper note in the exhaust, it is a tad bit louder than stock, and with future plans of a Milltek Header (adding 50% more noise) the performance gains (number wise) seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

Now for the video. The first rev with milltek was kinda lame, sorry. But the sound was better so reving to 3-4k sounded just as good as stock @ 4-5k. I just didn't realize it until playback. All video was recorded with a hero 3 black in the skeleton housing.

2005 Mini Cooper S - R53 - Milltek Exhaust - YouTube
"> 2005 Mini Cooper S - R53 - Milltek Exhaust - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Here are some pictures. Idk Why it's duplicating the video. Sorry about that.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Nice sounding exhaust mate!
Looking forward to your build!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Looks great.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-29-2015, 01:35 PM
YO MUDA
2nd Gear
Great comparison video.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:16 PM
VanisleRyan
1st Gear
Well I'm sold....best comparison video on exhaust I've seen. Thanks for doing this.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great comparison video. Wow.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 AM
zenbuilder
1st Gear
Good show. Its nice to hear a comparison .

Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Tear Down

So I successfully tore my mini apart. Changed a bunch of stuff. Put it back together, with no errors codes or missing bolts! Im really not a mechanic by any means so I feel super accomplished. I did all the work myself besides video tutorials from Mod Mini on Youtube, cant express enough gratitude for his videos.

In the end it sounds GREAT! However Im wondering if I did too much. I don't notice a great deal of power increase and sometimes I feel a loss. Maybe I over hyped my self that it would really increase that much power. It runs fine (no over heating, no weird idle, or anything of that nature) However I just feel somethings not right. At faster acceleration there is a burnt plastic/rubber type smell. Not BAD, but just enough to say whats that? I don't believe it to be a clutch smell as I have smelled that before. I replaced the tensioner assembly, so i don't think it's the belt, unless the idler pulley is seizing. I need to check the belt size to make sure it's correct with the new pulley, but I thought even the stock belt would fit a 15% pulley? When I looked i almost thought the belt was too small (what effects does that have?) The belt went on pretty snug and felt pretty tight after releasing tension.

Any ideas would be great to look into. Some ideas I have got (for power loss) is timing (is there a way to check timing problems without tearing it down?) and Compression loss (again how to check that, and if it is what fixes this?). Last thought would be did i install enough that it just needs tuned to match upgrades, however I feel after research I could get by without a tune with the upgrades I went with at the moment. (tune after injectors, headers, etc...)

Again input would be greatly appreciated on things to try to see if I can see more power from the upgrades i put in. Here are some pictures of my tear down to entice some help =D.

Thanks again

Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Tear Down Photos

Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I mean, power loss can come from anything, but by judging your location, Kansas had a hell of a hot week? once the intake temp sees more than 100 deg F it starts to pulling timing by ECU, it is noticeable, AC also lowers power. some burning smell with new exhaust is normal, your burning the packing material. if its more of a rubber smell, that could be your belt or crank pulley

Originally Posted by tr3y003
So I successfully tore my mini apart. Changed a bunch of stuff. Put it back together, with no errors codes or missing bolts! Im really not a mechanic by any means so I feel super accomplished. I did all the work myself besides video tutorials from Mod Mini on Youtube, cant express enough gratitude for his videos.

In the end it sounds GREAT! However Im wondering if I did too much. I don't notice a great deal of power increase and sometimes I feel a loss. Maybe I over hyped my self that it would really increase that much power. It runs fine (no over heating, no weird idle, or anything of that nature) However I just feel somethings not right. At faster acceleration there is a burnt plastic/rubber type smell. Not BAD, but just enough to say whats that? I don't believe it to be a clutch smell as I have smelled that before. I replaced the tensioner assembly, so i don't think it's the belt, unless the idler pulley is seizing. I need to check the belt size to make sure it's correct with the new pulley, but I thought even the stock belt would fit a 15% pulley? When I looked i almost thought the belt was too small (what effects does that have?) The belt went on pretty snug and felt pretty tight after releasing tension.

Any ideas would be great to look into. Some ideas I have got (for power loss) is timing (is there a way to check timing problems without tearing it down?) and Compression loss (again how to check that, and if it is what fixes this?). Last thought would be did i install enough that it just needs tuned to match upgrades, however I feel after research I could get by without a tune with the upgrades I went with at the moment. (tune after injectors, headers, etc...)

Again input would be greatly appreciated on things to try to see if I can see more power from the upgrades i put in. Here are some pictures of my tear down to entice some help =D.

Thanks again

Old 09-12-2015, 03:54 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Those mods are looking good.
I would definitely recommend going through everything again just to be sure you haven't missed anything since you stated your not (by trade or hobby) a mechanic.

As a tuner ill just come out and say the tune should always be #1 after mods. Getting more power without a tune its generally pointless as the ECU dictates everything the car does.
I would suggest doing this before performing any other mods unless intake related....just so you can get proper AF/VE for your current setup.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:01 PM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Previous error

Ok so before mods and tearing apart i was getting an error code "p0300 random-multiple misfire"

I though new plugs and wires would do it but i just got the same code last night. I did not replace the coil pack. Could this indicate a timing issue?

Old 09-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Most likely not.
This is a common code with certain exhaust systems/conditions.
If you search the code there are a few forums with tips/advice on a remedy. Sorry I just don't have the exact link to paste here but it will show up if you search.

I would again recommend a tune.
This will clear up your current issue and get you better overall drive ability...
To many people overlook this when adding modifications.

Check your coil as well for any problems...and you can always replace it with a new factory unit just to be safe.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Ok so before mods and tearing apart i was getting an error code "p0300 random-multiple misfire"

I though new plugs and wires would do it but i just got the same code last night. I did not replace the coil pack. Could this indicate a timing issue?
Everything is looking great! Where in Kansas are you? I am in MHK and have also modded my mini as well with similar mods.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Everything is looking great! Where in Kansas are you? I am in MHK and have also modded my mini as well with similar mods.
Sorry Late responses =P Im on the other side of the state =D GCK.

Also update on some of the issues. The misfire seems to be cleared upon replacing the belt. I got sent the wrong belt size (didn't check before putting on) so the burn smell was belt slippage. But I also haven't had a multi misfire light since changing either. However I did go ahead and order a new coil pack and fuel filter as well (will be installing this weekend)

Looking at the stock coil pack it looks pretty bad on the connections (i'll take photos) so I thought that was for sure the reason for the misfires. I checked the belt solely on the burn smell at higher RPMs. Then the fuel filter just because I have a higher mileage mini and am trying to service just about everything I can. I'll take photos and update this weekend. Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. I have a bonus in February so Im thinking i'll get the tune done with RMW at that time. May do the shorty header at the same time.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Sorry Late responses =P Im on the other side of the state =D GCK.

Also update on some of the issues. The misfire seems to be cleared upon replacing the belt. I got sent the wrong belt size (didn't check before putting on) so the burn smell was belt slippage. But I also haven't had a multi misfire light since changing either. However I did go ahead and order a new coil pack and fuel filter as well (will be installing this weekend)

Looking at the stock coil pack it looks pretty bad on the connections (i'll take photos) so I thought that was for sure the reason for the misfires. I checked the belt solely on the burn smell at higher RPMs. Then the fuel filter just because I have a higher mileage mini and am trying to service just about everything I can. I'll take photos and update this weekend. Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. I have a bonus in February so Im thinking i'll get the tune done with RMW at that time. May do the shorty header at the same time.
Looking forward to seeing more!
I hope you get that RMW tune.....youll have a very nice treat when your all done

Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
Looking forward to seeing more!
I hope you get that RMW tune.....youll have a very nice treat when your all done
Oh I will for sure. I wanna do it NOW! =P but christmas is coming up and I should probably save for that, haha.

You mentioned not to do anything other mods without a tune. You think it would be ok to replace that coil pack? I got the screamin deamon. The connections look pretty back on the stock (135,000 miles) coil pack. However code has went away (for now).

Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Oh I will for sure. I wanna do it NOW! =P but christmas is coming up and I should probably save for that, haha.

You mentioned not to do anything other mods without a tune. You think it would be ok to replace that coil pack? I got the screamin deamon. The connections look pretty back on the stock (135,000 miles) coil pack. However code has went away (for now).
I take it we are hours apart so I wont ask if you know anyone in the MHK area or shops to help work on my car lol. But yours is looking sweet!

BTW people are all going to have their own opinions on the coil pack vs. stock but I have the MSD and have had no issues. When I first got it people told me it was going to fry my ECU etc. No such luck haha! Keep us updated.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks good, love those Miltek exhaust systems. Really great quality and sound. Those eye stickers are pretty awesome.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Looks good, love those Miltek exhaust systems. Really great quality and sound. Those eye stickers are pretty awesome.
I put the eye stickers on mine recently due to your influence, cool stuff!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Eye Stickers

Thanks! I saw them from a youtuber (Mod MINI). I found them on etsy

Under the Bonnet - Eyes Stickers for First Gen MINI Coopers

Old 10-19-2015, 09:06 AM
tr3y003
1st Gear
Coil Pack and Fuel Filter

Ok so here is the photo of the coil pack. I probably could have tried and wire brushed them but eh...

And the dirty fuel filter (i didn't take any take apart photos, it was kinda tight and didn't want gas on my phone =P)

Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Ok so here is the photo of the coil pack. I probably could have tried and wire brushed them but eh...

And the dirty fuel filter (i didn't take any take apart photos, it was kinda tight and didn't want gas on my phone =P)
Its amazing how dark those fuel filters really get huh, and MINI said its lifetime

Old 10-22-2015, 09:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Here are some pictures. Idk Why it's duplicating the video. Sorry about that.

Really like the Milltek , great sound ! We carry them and are the largest stocking vendor for MINI.

Congrats on an awesome build thread. Candy for the eyes.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 10-22-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: R50/53 The Mods Begin! - R53 Performance/Maintenance Work