Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Subwoofer recommendation......

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 09:41 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
designing a box for my Mini. In your opinion, am I better off with 2 10" subs or 1 12" sub? Thinking about going with Hifonics subs? What is your take on that? I dont want to spend a truck load of money on my system. (What to put the money towards performance. ) I just want to hear/feel a little bass with the music. If it matters, I will be using a Hifonics ZX8000 5 channel amp to run my system.
Thanks for your help and opinions,
Clint

Old 10-25-2003, 09:50 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
There are many considerations with a sub. You need space for the sub or subs and space for the amp or amps.
All that has to fit in the rear boot and in less space or you will loose your ability to carry anything.
I would think that with the budget in mind that it would make more sense to get a good quality 12" sub and good quality amp to power it and put it in the smallest possible enclosure that still works with the sub.
Otherwise you are looking at two 10" subs which means either two 2-channel amps or a four channel amp plus a box big enough for two subs. The amps can be mounted on the boot floor or on the rear seat back.
Send PM to Scooterboy and ask him for his opinion/advice.

My JL stealthbox has a single 10" sub in a tuned enclosure especially designed for the MINI powered by 2 channels bridged (200 watts) from an Xtant 4.4 amp with many filters, crossovers and separate sub volume controls built in to the nakamichi head unit and amp. Overall the sound is quite good. Strong but deep bass, not over boomy. Also I have 29 sq ft of Cascade Audio VB-max sound deadening material in the front doors alone.

Old 10-26-2003, 02:27 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I'm no expert on big subs - the clarion I put under the passenger seat isn't that powerful - just enough to add some low-end oomph.

I'll let those who've installed the size sub he's looking for give the advice.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:41 PM
minihune
This audio thread has some subs with pictures
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=16916

Old 10-27-2003, 12:19 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
after listening to the jl stealthbox in minihune's mcs, i'm pretty impressed with the bass from that relatively small unit. i think that would be more than adequate for most mini owners, unless they really want more bass, deeper bass, or want the custom look.

space is pretty much the main consideration with subs and mini's. two 10's will rock the mini, or one 12 for that matter considering how small the interior is. if space is a concern, i'd go with a single 10 or maybe 12. more bass, two subs. deeper bass, 12.

i'd highly recommend listening to single 10, dual 10, single 12 setups to get a feel of how much bass you want, particularly with your type of music playing. again, the jl stealthbox is really hard to beat for its price, sound, looks, and quality, in addition to its minimal space requirements.

i currently got three jl 10w6's in my xtra cab p/u mounted bench style with precision power amp bridged to give about 400-450 watts. more than enuff for me since i don't really care to let all around me hear my sounds. but i guarantee that anybody who sits in there will feel the music and get a free back massage at the same time.

i'm currently leaning toward the jl stealthbox or a single 10 or 12 sub in a custom enclosure. that is, once i've got the $$$ saved up.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:51 AM
SSMini
4th Gear
Thanks for the replys....... I wish I could listen to a mini with a sub. I dont know anybody else with a mini with a system. I think I may go with the single 12" sub. Damn the boot is sooooo small!!! My truck had 8 12's in it and now Im going to 1 12" sub, Man is that going to be a change....*LOL* Maybe I'll get my hearing back... I already tried to get the wife to agree with not using the back seat, but that did not work out at all. Oh well, I guess I will have to be happy with one sub :???:
Thanks again for the help guys, Keep it coming.

Old 10-30-2003, 03:44 AM
minihune
>>Thanks for the replys....... I wish I could listen to a mini with a sub. I dont know anybody else with a mini with a system. I think I may go with the single 12" sub. Damn the boot is sooooo small!!! My truck had 8 12's in it and now Im going to 1 12" sub, Man is that going to be a change....*LOL* Maybe I'll get my hearing back... I already tried to get the wife to agree with not using the back seat, but that did not work out at all. Oh well, I guess I will have to be happy with one sub

Old 11-08-2003, 12:19 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Her is a different option for you . Two 10" tdx diamonds with the amp sunk below. RandyPage Title Maxmini Home site