GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Already Have a Few GP Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Already Have a Few GP Questions

Merry Christmas!

I have a few, hopefully easy, GP questions.

First, does anyone know where I can get black line images of the GP logo? If I had Photoshop I might be able to create some from pictures, but alas, I don't have access to Photoshop. I need it for a project I am doing.

Second, if I respray the hood, front bumper cover and the apron behind the windshield, how much, if any would that hurt the value of the car? And when I say "I" I mean a professional body shop I did buy the car to drive an enjoy, but I don't want to do something that is going to kill the resale value someday. On a related question, how closely would a top body shop be able to match the color to the rest of the car?

Third, does Mini match engine numbers to the VIN - in other words, if I replace the engine with as new one (same engine, just new) would it be a "non-numbers matching" kind of thing?

Finally, anyone know where I would source the Recaros that I see in some of the GPs? Not sure I want to go down the road, but professionally reupholstering the seats will run me $600 each. Might want to just put that towards Recaros. Just because I like the way they look.

I am loving this car. Each Mini I buy puts a bigger smile on my face when I drive it. This one is just a little uncivilized compared to its newer brethren, and I kind of dig that.

The following users liked this post:
mhoffmandc (05-08-2019)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:11 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi scubus,
Can't help on the logo.
The matching pain really needs to go to a very good pain shop, but it is not the end of the world and many cn match the color. It would not diminish the value, if done correctly.
If you do change the engine, it will no longer be a matching numbers car. ( I am not as much a purist as others though, so would not mater to me, as long as you document what the new engine is) Cars at any point can fail, if you USE them! I am guessing you are not keeping this as a garage queen!
The Racaros were in use in Europe, so you may be able to source them easier and cheaper there (including shipping price) They look great and I wish I had a set!
You have the best of the best Mini GP and RAW as it is, Is what to love about it! Good luck with it and I hope others will post some more helpful info for you here!
ps: If you save the old engine, when you sell, you can pass that on also. It will maintain the originality!

scubus (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
I can't be of much help, but I want to thank you for posting as your enthusiasm is infectious.

I agree with Wayne that the GP is the ideal expression of an R53 and you're a lucky duck!

As mentioned, the Recaro option for mk1 wasn't available Stateside and they're incredibly difficult to source over here.

In Europe, from what I gather, it was an option you could tick the box on,
like these on an R52 from the UK:

Already Have a Few GP Questions-vy5yhpx.jpg

You can search and sometimes find a set, but big $$$ required for acquisition.
For example,
a set available in Spain:
https://www.milanuncios.com/otros-re...-250727303.htm

You could opt for R56 seats which might make things easier,
have you seen this thread?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rtster-cs.html

I think these might be from the wayback MINI Challenge days:

Already Have a Few GP Questions-u1r9bfl.jpg
Already Have a Few GP Questions-jmsaohy.jpg

Some people just go with a more universal approach,
and it looks good too:

Already Have a Few GP Questions-nf3ra24.jpg

scubus (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:36 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi scubus,
Can't help on the logo.
The matching pain really needs to go to a very good pain shop, but it is not the end of the world and many cn match the color. It would not diminish the value, if done correctly.
If you do change the engine, it will no longer be a matching numbers car. ( I am not as much a purist as others though, so would not mater to me, as long as you document what the new engine is) Cars at any point can fail, if you USE them! I am guessing you are not keeping this as a garage queen!
The Racaros were in use in Europe, so you may be able to source them easier and cheaper there (including shipping price) They look great and I wish I had a set!
You have the best of the best Mini GP and RAW as it is, Is what to love about it! Good luck with it and I hope others will post some more helpful info for you here!
ps: If you save the old engine, when you sell, you can pass that on also. It will maintain the originality!
It is definitely a driver. I may just opt to wait untilt he engine goes kaput and then rebuild it. I am thinking forward a little, the engine and supercharger are still running strong. I didn't do a PPI but I have taken it to the local Mini Guru and had it looked over and it got a clean bill of health.

Not even sure if it is worth the time respraying any of it. It is really clean, but it has taken some Florida sun induced fade on the hood. Fortunately it was under a clear bra for most of its life and the front bumper cover is almost perfect. Like the engine, I may just leave it alone until it actually needs sprucing up. I am just more than a little OCD about my cars.

Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
I can't be of much help, but I want to thank you for posting as your enthusiasm is infectious.

I agree with Wayne that the GP is the ideal expression of an R53 and you're a lucky duck!

As mentioned, the Recaro option for mk1 wasn't available Stateside and they're incredibly difficult to source over here.

In Europe, from what I gather, it was an option you could tick the box on,
like these on an R52 from the UK:

You can search and sometimes find a set, but big $$$ required for acquisition.
For example,
a set available in Spain:
https://www.milanuncios.com/otros-re...-250727303.htm

You could opt for R56 seats which might make things easier,
have you seen this thread?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rtster-cs.html

I think these might be from the wayback MINI Challenge days:

Some people just go with a more universal approach,
and it looks good too:

Thanks. I may just forgo the Recaros. The seats that are in it are in good shape but are showing signs of normal wear and tear. I was simply going to source a good set of "generic" Recaros but it looks like more trouble than it is worth to get them installed with the airbags etc. Lucky Europeans

Old 12-24-2018, 02:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Less paintwork you do is always better for value.

No the engines don't have vin numbers on them so swapping the engine with a new one would only increase the value in my opinion as long as you keep the records.

For the seats the GPs in Europe came with Recaros, but in the US they had standard seats. So they are really hard to find in the US if at all.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
scubus (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 03:41 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Less paintwork you do is always better for value.

No the engines don't have vin numbers on them so swapping the engine with a new one would only increase the value in my opinion as long as you keep the records.

For the seats the GPs in Europe came with Recaros, but in the US they had standard seats. So they are really hard to find in the US if at all.
So, new motor and rebuilt supercharger - or should I look at something different than stock for the supercharger? No to the paintwork. How do I keep it from getting worse? Just good maintenance?

No to the Recaros. Too much work when the seats that are in it are just fine.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:11 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Congrats on the HP purchase! I seriously considered a HP, but I need a back seat So my 06 JCW will have to do for now.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts on your seat question. There is an salvage operation in the Netherlands called GEAR53 that has had some of the rare JCW and other MINI parts come up for sale including the Recaro seats. I follow their Facebook page and have successfully purchased some smaller items and had them delivered to the US. If the desire is strong, that would be the the place I’d look.

My my next suggestion would be to keep an eye on ALLMAG auto in Tampa. They have a salvage business that also has a treasure trove of rare parts. A couple months ago they had a GP dash signed by Mike Cooper (John’s son who signs “John Cooper” on things) and a full hatch. I believe they currently have some GP1 seats (one set in good shape the other in fair) and they used to have a set of GP2 seats. The GP2 seats should be fairly easy to retrofit and may be an easier upgrade vs the Original Recaros.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
Congrats on the HP purchase! I seriously considered a HP, but I need a back seat So my 06 JCW will have to do for now.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts on your seat question. There is an salvage operation in the Netherlands called GEAR53 that has had some of the rare JCW and other MINI parts come up for sale including the Recaro seats. I follow their Facebook page and have successfully purchased some smaller items and had them delivered to the US. If the desire is strong, that would be the the place I’d look.

My my next suggestion would be to keep an eye on ALLMAG auto in Tampa. They have a salvage business that also has a treasure trove of rare parts. A couple months ago they had a GP dash signed by Mike Cooper (John’s son who signs “John Cooper” on things) and a full hatch. I believe they currently have some GP1 seats (one set in good shape the other in fair) and they used to have a set of GP2 seats. The GP2 seats should be fairly easy to retrofit and may be an easier upgrade vs the Original Recaros.
Thanks.

I have already dealt with ALLMAG. Picked up a used/like new bumper cover to replace my rear bumper. Fair price and very fast shipping and communication.

On an other note, my dent guy stopped by today and taught me how to use a high speed buffer. No paint work needed, the paint on the hood - and the rest of the car - now looks brand new! So that is a non-issue now. Amazing what the right tools, the right know-how, and some elbow grease can accomplish.

I'll check out Gear53 and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again!

Last edited by scubus; 12-26-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:40 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Next question: I am replacing the rear bumper cover tomorrow or Thursday and I am wondering if there are any tricks or shortcuts I should keep in mind?