GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Gp #0717

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Gp #0717

Just picked her up tonight. She is a filthy beast. No, I mean filthy. She has been in storage for almost a year and it is killing me I can't go out and detail her right this second.

A couple of minor fixes and she will be ready to drive - my dent guy is coming to remove the 4 small dents on Saturday and then I have to find someone to fix the sagging headliner. Then the subtle mods will begin - as soon as I figure out what to modify!

Last edited by scubus; 12-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-20-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 PM
scubus
4th Gear
First question: where do I get Thunder Blue touch up paint? Every place I have checked does not have it available. And what is the official color of the roof?

Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Congrats. I've had 4 GP1s and love them, so know you'll love this one.

Most any paint/body shop can mix you up some touch up paint with the paint code off the tag on the strut mount.
The roof is pure silver so that is also a standard MINI color.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
scubus (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Paint code for GP1 body is A64. It’s NLA from MINI. There is a BMW Thunder Blue for a 2007 5er, it’s not the same.

I tried a few custom mixes, best one I found was from a body shop in PA that sells on eBay. YMMV.

There is German seller on eBay that claims to have oem A64, but after a couple months, I had to request a refund.

scubus (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul
Paint code for GP1 body is A64. It’s NLA from MINI. There is a BMW Thunder Blue for a 2007 5er, it’s not the same.

I tried a few custom mixes, best one I found was from a body shop in PA that sells on eBay. YMMV.

There is German seller on eBay that claims to have oem A64, but after a couple months, I had to request a refund.
Thanks. Not sure if that is good news - I was hoping to have the hood resprayed at some point. It is fine right now but there is a dime size spot where the clear coat is missing. But it will work for tiny spots. I don't have any now, the front end had a clear bra on it and it looks perfect. The spot is further back on the hood. You really can't see it but I'm a touch OCD about my cars.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Paul

If you guys need I'll get some touch up size bottles of the GP paint made up as we've replaced the hood on my car, and done repairs on another customer's GP so we know we got the color right.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-16-2018, 04:08 PM
scubus
4th Gear
So here are some of my pictures. The earlier ones were from the advertisement. She is slowly getting there. Had the 4 small dents removed yesterday - my guy is an artist! Having the headliner done next week. Then a few small replacements like the hoods and hatch wings, and she should be ready to enjoy

Next big project is having the seats redone. But that is probably going to be a summer thing. I already cleaned out my savings and I have rotator cuff surgery coming up. I really didn't plan on buying a car right now - but how do you pass this up?

Last edited by scubus; 12-16-2018 at 04:20 PM.
ECSTuning (12-20-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 04:54 PM
ThumpR52
Banned
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
Cleaned up very nicely!

scubus (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:25 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Because I am not one to leave well enough alone, what are some subtle mods that can be done to these cars? Also, is the engine a "regular" JCW motor? If I wanted to track down a used engine and rebuild it which engine would I look for?

Old 12-16-2018, 06:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
There are many mods that can be done to the GP, just depends on how far you want to go. I'd do the maint items like powerflex control arm bushings, an ATI crank pulley as they are known to fail.
If you want another engine we actually have a brand new JCW one on the shelf for $4000.

scubus (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
I got the Thunder Blue for our GP's from Dr. Color Chip. It was a better match and easier to apply than the stuff in the OEM Touch-up tube. Suggestion: If you don't want to get the seats re-done or replaced right now, CoverKing sells very nice seat covers in the same color and pattern. We put them on ours just to protect our seats from undue wear. Another suggestion: Get your local dealer to check for the seat sensor recall.

scubus (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:51 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Simple mod is the JCW air intake "Flapectomy". Do a search...Plenty of descriptions on this DIY. Even the GP will get improved handling with a stiffer rear sway bar and, of course, more negative camber up front and in the rear. The rear camber on the GP is theoretically adjustable but getting to the adjustments requires a contortionist because of the aero underpinnings. Better and quicker to install adjustable rear lower control arms. Of course, the front camber will require camber plates and the world is full of choices. Then, there's adding a front strut brace or anti-mushroom strut tower plates. Did we not warn you of "The Slippery Slope"?

scubus (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats! GP's are the best

I used to have a tube of OEM Thunder Blue touch up, but it was very old and was a horrible match, looked worse than the rock chips I tried to touch up. Like others have said, have a paint shop mix up some for you probably best bet.

Mods are a "slippery slope" as NC Trackrat said...but they take very well to mods, the GP is very good in stock form, but it just gets better and better after a few mods! I was going to leave it stock when I got it years ago...however one thing lead to the next and now it has 260whp. It's how it should have come from the factory!

Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM
ThumpR52
Banned
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
There are special MINIs because of factory placed stickers and then there are special MINIs because of what the owner has done relative to modifications. A Gen1, that I consider the best looking of the BMW version, with 190 or more foot pounds of torque is a special MINI.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
There are many mods that can be done to the GP, just depends on how far you want to go. I'd do the maint items like powerflex control arm bushings, an ATI crank pulley as they are known to fail.
If you want another engine we actually have a brand new JCW one on the shelf for $4000.
Not sure if I want a new engine now... the car is running great. I was thinking about getting a used one and rebuilding it to my specs for use when this one finally throws in the towel (or it is finished and I can't stand waiting anymore )

Old 12-19-2018, 01:37 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you guys need I'll get some touch up size bottles of the GP paint made up as we've replaced the hood on my car, and done repairs on another customer's GP so we know we got the color right.
If you make up some Thunder Blue touch up paint, I'll take some!

Old 12-20-2018, 07:39 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumpR52
There are special MINIs because of factory placed stickers and then there are special MINIs because of what the owner has done relative to modifications. A Gen1, that I consider the best looking of the BMW version, with 190 or more foot pounds of torque is a special MINI.
Absolutely. Maybe I should have said "rare" which is kind of cool. At least if you are into that kind of stuff. Never have been before but for some reason the GP tickled my fancy.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:34 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Not sure if it is appropriate to keep questions in the same thread or not, but since I have 3 threads here already I'll just keep the questions here.

Still looking for touch up paint, but the good news is a high speed buffer, some expert training, an d a lot of elbow grease has restored the hood to outstanding condition - no need for resprays.

I am trying to find the K&N air filter number for the GP and all their site lists is a CAI. Is there a K&N or is there another recommended filter for the GP? I did a search but didn't turn up much.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
I got my 06 JCW back in April.
The previous owner had installed an Amsoil air filter and it seems to work well.

I also use their oil, so I joined the preferred customer program to get discounts.
With discount the a/f is $45:
EAAU3570
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ction-filters/

My experience is limited though and I can't offer any performance comparisons between brands,
but the Amsoil a/f generally gets very good reviews.

scubus (12-28-2018)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
+1 on the Amsoil air filter, that's what I have in my GP.

scubus (01-06-2019)