General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official MINI DRLs Fitted

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
The stock MINI already has DRLs. People want this particular set for styling, not function.
They're not really DRL's per se. They just turn on the headlights full blast plus the parking lights.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
My point still stands. People are getting these lights for styling, not function.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. People also spend a lot of money on wheels for styling alone. However, if you're trying to justify getting these lights for safety and visibility, be honest with yourself about the real reason you're getting them.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
My point still stands. People are getting these lights for styling, not function.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. People also spend a lot of money on wheels for styling alone. However, if you're trying to justify getting these lights for safety and visibility, be honest with yourself about the real reason you're getting them.
The real reason I'm going to get them is because they look soooo cool, and I don't like running my xenon headlights full time, since I do believe in DRL's for safety reasons. FWIW, I do currently have the DRL's turned on.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw

In my case they appear to be much "Brighter" than the current factory DRL.

I want to be as visible as possible with mine.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
...since I do believe in DRL's for safety reasons. FWIW, I do currently have the DRL's turned on.
That is why I don't care for DRLs - safety reasons. It makes motorcycles harder to see since for years, they were the only ones with DRLs. WHen everyone has DRLs, no one will.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
However, if you're trying to justify getting these lights for safety and visibility, be honest with yourself about the real reason you're getting them.
But you need to remmeber that the real reason changes, depending on whether or not you've bought them.

When it is just other people that have them, it's a silly vanity purchase.

But when you have bought them yourself, BMW's argument comes in to play - DRLs are designed to throw a modest amount of light in all forward directions, so they are actually more noticeable than dipped headlights which are designed to not throw light in the eyes of other drivers.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Angib
But you need to remmeber that the real reason changes, depending on whether or not you've bought them.

But when you have bought them yourself, BMW's argument comes in to play - DRLs are designed to throw a modest amount of light in all forward directions, so they are actually more noticeable than dipped headlights which are designed to not throw light in the eyes of other drivers.
Really good point!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Watto
Neutral
Expensive downunder

Hi Guys,

Just got a quote for these to be fitted to my new 2013 cooper s by my Australian dealership… $1700 AUD.

WTH!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM
OMunguia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Watto
Hi Guys,

Just got a quote for these to be fitted to my new 2013 cooper s by my Australian dealership… $1700 AUD.

WTH!
Wow!!
That's about $1,570 USD!!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Watto
Neutral
Originally Posted by OMunguia
Wow!!

I know! They had to order them through Germany, costing $1480 without fitting…

I think I need to find a US supplier. The British mini genuine parts guys price theirs at just over $400 AUD. Shipping was from the UK is usually a killer. Much better from the US.

Any new leads other than whats in this post already?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OMunguia
Wow!!

I have not really seen anything for a MINI that was installed by Authorized MINI Dealership not {Expensive}.

And that certainly includes both the (Service & Warranty) extended contracts.

Luv the MINI but they are a very expensive machine for sure and IMHO everything concerning them.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
No price yet
I just got off the phone and my S. CA dealer quoted me $504.10, but couldn't accept an order until the 19th ~ the day after they're officially "released".

Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XSIV SUN

I just got off the phone and my S. CA dealer quoted me $504.10, but couldn't accept an order until the 19th ~ the day after they're officially "released".
Damn, just what I was afraid of!
Maybe best to order from UK and get a copy of US install instructions?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear

I'll get a price from Morristown MINI tomorrow. They can be as much as 20% off list sometimes.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
SuperGreg, Let me know. I've got a coupon for 25% off any order from this dealer...we'll see how much choking and back peddling occurs when I set it down (no astericks listed!)

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
SuperGreg, Let me know. I've got a coupon for 25% off any order from this dealer...we'll see how much choking and back peddling occurs when I set it down (no astericks listed!)
Can you order two sets? One for me and one for you . I have a Paypal acct I'll let you know.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear

Morristown could only give me the list price right now. Same as you posted. They said to call back when they can order to see if they can do better on price.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
nfo
6th Gear

Morristown could only give me the list price right now. Same as you posted. They said to call back when they can order to see if they can do better on price.
I'm really wondering what the going rate will be with install in the US. They look too damn nice!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nfo

I'm really wondering what the going rate will be with install in the US. They look too damn nice!
Just don't go to the dealer and I'm sure you can get a fair price.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Angib

If you're going down that path, the entire car is a silly vanity purchase. Why stop at picking on driving lights?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Just called Morristown MINI. still showing unavailable in the US, Was supposed to be available on 7/18, today :(

Now I'm considering ordering from the UK. Looks like $450.00 including shipping via DHL Air (2-4 days). That's 10% less than US cost and no tax.

Last edited by SuperGreg; 07-18-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
In my case I prefer to purchase them and have them installed by my local Mini of Nashville dealer.

I have learned over the years sometimes it is better to go through your dealership.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 AM
nfo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
In my case I prefer to purchase them and have them installed by my local Mini of Nashville dealer.

I have learned over the years sometimes it is better to go through your dealership.
I was told first week of August. I'm going to let the dealer do it since I don't have any place to work on my car. I'm just not looking forward to the cost. lol

Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

Can you call your dealer and see if they have availability yet?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:20 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nfo

I was told first week of August. I'm going to let the dealer do it since I don't have any place to work on my car. I'm just not looking forward to the cost. lol
I'm guessing your dealer would charge $300+

Quick Reply: Official MINI DRLs Fitted