F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 control front and rear fogs with only 1 switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 08:33 PM
camucho
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
control front and rear fogs with only 1 switch

I have 2 minis, I changed the light switch on the F54 and I have a separate control to turn on/off the front and rear fog lights. The other car is a F56, it came with only the front fogs, but I know the rear light is already there, prewired, just need to get another switch with the rear light button.... And I started thinking... what if there is a way to tell the computer to turn on/off both, front and rear fogs with only 1 switch button?
Have somebody done this? if so, can you share the process.
Thank you guys.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:25 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 05:02 AM
Stu-mon
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
got 2015 F-56 with Fog button (on left side under steering wheel) for Front Fog/Cornering lights, my rear fog lights are dead no matter what I do. I'm talking about the 2 little red lights way down low NOT the upper Tail/Brake/Turn Signal Lights - would like the rears to turn on with the fronts. there is a button right under the Front Fog/Cornering Button that does nothing. I assume that is the Rear Fog Light button & it only needs a Power Wire ? or Coded in somehow ? does that sound right ? I want them to be seen as Running Lights only, not Brake Lights. good thing my Mini Store is right next-door to BMW Shop because it sounds like that's where I'm headed when I get some cash. I saw a Mini gioing down the road that had his Lower Lights coming on as Brake Lights, don't want that. I ALSO have a button on right side of steering wheel (down low) that turns on my Driving Lights on Hi-Beam, that works just fine.

Last edited by Stu-mon; 01-17-2022 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:27 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Stu-mon
got 2015 F-56 with Fog button (on left side under steering wheel) for Front Fog/Cornering lights, my rear fog lights are dead no matter what I do. I'm talking about the 2 little red lights way down low NOT the upper Tail/Brake/Turn Signal Lights - would like the rears to turn on with the fronts. there is a button right under the Front Fog/Cornering Button that does nothing. I assume that is the Rear Fog Light button & it only needs a Power Wire ? or Coded in somehow ? does that sound right ? I want them to be seen as Running Lights only, not Brake Lights. good thing my Mini Store is right next-door to BMW Shop because it sounds like that's where I'm headed when I get some cash. I saw a Mini gioing down the road that had his Lower Lights coming on as Brake Lights, don't want that. I ALSO have a button on right side of steering wheel (down low) that turns on my Driving Lights on Hi-Beam, that works just fine.
See my response to the OP in post #2

camucho (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:27 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts
Hey @camucho and @Stu-mon , I did what you're talking about (both front and rear fogs turned on/off by front fog switch) on my 2017 F56S and it works like a dream, @TVPostSound was part of that convo, I authored the how-to writeup. Happy to answer any questions you might have. Definitely loving it.

The following 2 users liked this post by cjv2:
camucho (01-17-2022), Stu-mon (01-27-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:55 PM
camucho
2nd Gear
Let me read and I'll report back. Thank you for sharing.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:37 PM
camucho
2nd Gear
It works!

I follow the steps, I have LED lights, so I didn't change the 2nd part. Both front and rear fog lights come on at the same time.

Thank you @TVPostSound and @cjv2. I'll wait until you find a way to turn both light indicators on the dashboard.

Rear Fog Light

cjv2 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 02:53 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Originally Posted by camucho
It works!

I follow the steps, I have LED lights, so I didn't change the 2nd part. Both front and rear fog lights come on at the same time.

Thank you @TVPostSound and @cjv2. I'll wait until you find a way to turn both light indicators on the dashboard.

Rear Fog Light
Very very cool!

I haven't figured how to get the indicator in the instrument cluster to come on yet -- don't know where that control is in the coding, or whether it is even "tweakable" in real terms. But someone may figure it out

Recommend you double-check whether your rear fog is actually LED. You can have LED bulbs all over the car off the factory line and still end up with one or more of them still halogen. My MINI in the stock config for example, has LED headlamps, LED fog lamps, LED wheel arch markers, LED welcome lights in the door handles, and LED center brake light -- but all the tail lamp bulbs (brake and turn signal) as well as the rear fogs were simultaneously halogen/filament bulbs.

If you don't want to pull the bulb out to see, the way to tell is to have someone turn the rear fog on and off while you are standing behind the vehicle. As you likely know, filament bulbs "fade" on and "fade" off -- even if the "fade" is really fast -- LED bulbs, by comparison, "pop" on and "pop" off. Took me a minute to be clear that my rear fogs were halogen/filament but it's obvious once you know what to look for -- and while I have seen people ask whether the rear fogs were LED, I have yet to see someone come back with a yes confirm.

And... the light pattern in your rear fog -- looks a LOT to me like there is a small filament bulb sitting dead center. A whole lot. Maybe it's just me...

Glad the writeup worked for you and yeah, I would love to figure out that dash indicator

Old 01-18-2022, 04:08 AM
Stu-mon
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
OP in post #2 ? I'm in the dark.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:32 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Stu-mon
OP in post #2 ? I'm in the dark.

I responded to the Original Poster (since you hijacked this thread) in the second post of this thread.
Read the links I posted.

Stu-mon (01-19-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
It works!

t
The indicator on the dash might be a result of activating the switch that has both buttons.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:25 PM
camucho
2nd Gear
I checked the bulb, because CJV2 didn't like the light pattern, and he was right, it was an incandescent bulb behind the lens. Instead of going through the trouble to connect the adapter and click, click, click the steps described in the write-up, I took an easier option to drive 15 miles EACH WAY to O'Reilly and get an LED. Fiuu! that was a lot easier!!! I used it right away, and I feel the cars behind me can see me better. I still want to get the proper switch in the future, and I'm very grateful of people like you and TVPostSound willing to share your knowledge.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:46 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
I checked the bulb, because CJV2 didn't like the light pattern, and he was right, it was an incandescent bulb behind the lens. Instead of going through the trouble to connect the adapter and click, click, click the steps described in the write-up, I took an easier option to drive 15 miles EACH WAY to O'Reilly and get an LED. Fiuu! that was a lot easier!!! I used it right away, and I feel the cars behind me can see me better. I still want to get the proper switch in the future, and I'm very grateful of people like you and TVPostSound willing to share your knowledge.

lol — it never occurred to me that someone would find it easier to get up into the lamp and change the bulb to an LED than tweak the lamp filament checks — on my MCS with dual lamp assemblies the physical is a royal pan in the yadda yadda. But hey, whatever works, you got the idea — if a filament bulb, turn the checks on, may as well; if going to LED, leave the bulb checks off.

Not bad and glad to be of assistance in getting where you wanted to get to! 😁

PS O’Reilly rocks

Old 01-27-2022, 11:50 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cjv2
lol — on my MCS with dual lamp assemblies the physical is a royal pan in the yadda yadda. But hey, whatever works, you got the idea
Naw, its not that bad!!!

Im thinking of switching my rear fogs to Ziza LEDs.
I just put them in as reverse, and damn, they are bright. Rear firing, not side.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ziza-par...023484ziz01kt/

Just have to find 921.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We tested some ziza leds in the rear fogs and it did not have the dispersion of light that the standard non led have, my guess is MINI developed the reflections in the rear fogs to work with a filiment bulb. You might see something different, but thats why we did not make a kit

Now the other zizas are great and really show you whats back there on back up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
cjv2 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 01:30 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
We tested some ziza leds in the rear fogs and it did not have the dispersion of light that the standard non led have, my guess is MINI developed the reflections in the rear fogs to work with a filiment bulb. You might see something different, but thats why we did not make a kit

Now the other zizas are great and really show you whats back there on back up.
Yup, you're probably correct.
These look like they would reflect well
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...is?q=921&pos=5

Yeah, I fitted the Ziza backups as soon as they arrived, backed out the driveway, lit up my neighbors house across the street.

PS,
Thank Jeff at ECS for straightening out the 1156 mislabelling!!

ECSTuning (01-29-2022)