F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini coding/programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by grh372
Hi guys, im new around here. I recently purchased a set of union jack taillights for my 2014 f56. Seems they are coded different here in the states and my turn signals and brake lights use the same leds on the new lights.
There has to be a way to code them to work properly. I have carly and hasnt done a thing besides remove the "lamp out warnings". As you see in the first and second pictures. in the UK the horizontal bar is for the turn signals and the verticle bar is the brake lights. Third picture shows the issue here in the united states. When i use the turn signal itll flash till i step on the brake then itll go solid. Not the safest way to ride. Thanks Gary
Gary,

The problem is caused by the way the USDM and Euro MINI's handle emergency braking. In Europe, the pre LCI taillights have a yellow turn signal, in the States, it is red.

During Emergency braking, the Euro taillights go into hazard mode, while the US ones just turn on. That is what you are seeing there.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
UJ tail lights installed

Here they are - coded out errors with Bimmercode

Attached Thumbnails Mini coding/programming-rear-tail-lamps.jpg   Mini coding/programming-tail-lamp.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 09:20 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Got everything installed, and coded out the errors with Bimmercode.

Coded the indicators in the basic mode - to not monitor and set to LED.

Then, Stephan from Bimmercode gave me the following to do in expert mode:

BL_R_IS_LED => aktiv
BL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG => nicht_aktiv
BL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG => nicht_aktiv

BL_L_IS_LED => aktiv
BL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG => nicht_aktiv
BL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUN => nicht_aktiv
Added to FAQ.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:22 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Here they are - coded out errors with Bimmercode
^That's all great that the errors are gone but does it function as intended like Gery mentioned in his post? Can you have someone in the car while you are checking from behind? Have the car running, have that other person turn on the blinker and then after that step on the brake - while the brake lights come on does the blinker still blinks or is it solid red? The horizontal bar is supposed to keep blinking (and not go solid red so people could still see that you intend to turn) and the vertical side bar is supposed to glow bright red (if I understood correctly). Or both horizontal and vertical bars should light up brighter but the horizontal bar should keep blinking to indicate an intended turn?

Last edited by boki; 03-30-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by boki
^That's all great that the errors are gone but does it function as intended like Gery mentioned in his post? Can you have someone in the car while you are checking from behind? Have the car running, have that other person turn on the blinker and then after that step on the brake - while the brake lights come on does the blinker still blinks or is it solid red? The horizontal bar is supposed to keep blinking (and not go solid red so people could still see that you intend to turn) and the vertical side bar is supposed to glow bright red (if I understood correctly). Or both horizontal and vertical bars should light up brighter but the horizontal bar should keep blinking to indicate an intended turn?
It's functioning exactly how it is supposed to, the turn signals turn on solid in emergency braking situations for US cars.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:39 AM
boki
3rd Gear
I wasn't asking about the emergency braking but regular turn signal and regular braking a the same time - from what I understood Gery was experiencing is that when he turns the blinker on and then brakes regularly to slow down before the turn (not emergency braking) both horizontal and vertical bars light up and stay lit up instead of the horizontal bar still blinking while you slowly come to a stop just before you turn - at least that's how I understood his issue. He'll chime in when he can I guess.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:40 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
That sounds good. I look forward to finding what is happening.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:42 AM
boki
3rd Gear
kfmuller here could maybe test that too and let us know, please?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:47 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Scared me - just went out and checked. Everything works fine. Stepped on brakes - they light up red. Turn on turn signal, it blinks yellow. Step on brake it remains blinking and yellow. Start driving, put turn signal on, slam on brakes - all lights behaving normally - yellow signal blinks, and red brake light comes on. Not experiencing that other situation at all.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Awesome, good to hear, did you get the UK version of the UJ tail lights since your turn signal (horizontal bar) blinks yellow? Where did you get them from?

Old 03-30-2018, 10:33 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Awesome, good to hear, did you get the UK version of the UJ tail lights since your turn signal (horizontal bar) blinks yellow? Where did you get them from?
I got them from Mike at newministuff.com

I think they were $330 US + $40 for shipping from Liverpool to Dallas, TX
They arrived in 2 days in perfect shape.

Part nos. 63217435133 and 63217435134

And, I just took it for a spin with a friend following in another car. They worked as they should - didn't get any weird freezing of the horizontal brake light under normal or hard braking.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM
boki
3rd Gear
^Aaahhh, you have different part numbers than Gary (grh372) and myself - we ordered from Cotswalds Mini from Birmingham, UK - they plugged in our VIN's in the computer and came up with these part numbers: 63217435135 and 63217435136.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if it can be fixed with coding or not, I'm installing my tail lights either tonight or tomorrow and will check everything up.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:54 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts

BL_R_IS_LED => aktiv

BL_L_IS_LED => aktiv

I have mentioned in other Bimmercode posts, that Stephan's "shortcuts" sometimes do not work.
You have to use expert mode, those "shortcuts" are supposed to be macros to expert mode.

Also as was mentioned, the brake force display set to blinken does not work in US cars, it must be set to flächenvergrößerung (Which is Area enlargement) meaning Brake lights and solid turn signal during heavy braking.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:59 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Part nos.
63217435133 and 63217435134 are EU numbers
63217435135 and 63217435136 are USA numbers

Are the US red turn signals on these??
Maybe thats the key???

Last edited by TVPostSound; 03-30-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:07 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Added to FAQ.

BL_R_IS_LED => aktiv

BL_L_IS_LED => aktiv

I assume the turn signal is a standard bulb?? As you didn't code the turn signal to LED.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:11 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
^Aaahhh, you have different part numbers than Gary (grh372) and myself - we ordered from Cotswalds Mini from Birmingham, UK - they plugged in our VIN's in the computer and came up with these part numbers: 63217435135 and 63217435136.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if it can be fixed with coding or not, I'm installing my tail lights either tonight or tomorrow and will check everything up.
Didn't know that there was numerous part nos. Your part nos. appear to be what is supposed to go with my 2016 US JCW. I just got my part nos. elsewhere, and forgot that there might be different versions. Didn't order mine by part no. from newministuff - he just advertised UJ tail lights. I'll need to pop one off and see if I got US or European ones. The yellow turn signal may be the Euro giveaway, though.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:11 PM
boki
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Part nos.
63217435133 and 63217435134 are EU numbers
63217435135 and 63217435136 are USA numbers

Are the US red turn signals on these??
Maybe thats the key???
Yep, that sounds about right but there's still confusion here. Gary (grh372) got the right US part numbers tail lights that don't work properly and kfmuller got the wrong UK part numbers tail lights that work well.

I think there might be a coding change that would allow the horizontal bar to keep blinking as the brake is applied - that would fix all the issues and make these US part numbers tail lights work as intended. They'll need to code all the new LCI cars that are US bound to work properly so someone could compare the codes and let us know what needs to be changed.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I assume the turn signal is a standard bulb?? As you didn't code the turn signal to LED.
No - the indicators (turn signals) are LEDs on mine. The night lights and reverse lights aren't LED, so I didn't get an error for those - just the brake and indicators. I coded out the indicators in the basic mode of bimmercode, and then went expert mode to code out the brake errors.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
No - the indicators (turn signals) are LEDs on mine. The night lights and reverse lights aren't LED, so I didn't get an error for those - just the brake and indicators. I coded out the indicators in the basic mode of bimmercode, and then went expert mode to code out the brake errors.
I understand the new (Union Jack) has LED.
The original turn signals were standard bulbs, even thought he ring was LED.

I have the LED option, and all rear bulbs except for the ring are standard bulbs.

The turn signals should be coded to LED, no?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
I got them from Mike at newministuff.com

I think they were $330 US + $40 for shipping from Liverpool to Dallas, TX
They arrived in 2 days in perfect shape.

Part nos. 63217435133 and 63217435134

And, I just took it for a spin with a friend following in another car. They worked as they should - didn't get any weird freezing of the horizontal brake light under normal or hard braking.
Great price!!!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM
boki
3rd Gear
So I just installed my UJ tail lights, proper part numbers for US market and everything went great. I coded out the errors for brake lights and turn signals and that's all taken care off, thanks kfmuller for posting the codes (once in expert mode you have to go to 3061 module I believe and that's where you'll find those values to code). But Gary's and my issue is still there - here's the video explaining what's happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNP...ature=youtu.be
From what I understood, when the turn signal is on and you apply the brakes the horizontal led bar is supposed to keep blinking and the side vertical led is supposed to light up bright to indicate braking.

Sorry for the vertical video, I couldn't position my cell phone any better on the ground.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:55 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
So I just installed my UJ tail lights, proper part numbers for US market and everything went great. I coded out the errors for brake lights and turn signals and that's all taken care off, thanks kfmuller for posting the codes (once in expert mode you have to go to 3061 module I believe and that's where you'll find those values to code). But Gary's and my issue is still there - here's the video explaining what's happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNP...ature=youtu.be
From what I understood, when the turn signal is on and you apply the brakes the horizontal led bar is supposed to keep blinking and the side vertical led is supposed to light up bright to indicate braking.

Sorry for the vertical video, I couldn't position my cell phone any better on the ground.

Find

3068 ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG =

Can not be:
bremsclicht blinkend

Must be set to:
flächenvergrößerung

Old 03-30-2018, 04:02 PM
boki
3rd Gear
Find

3068 ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG =

Can not be:
bremsclicht blinkend

Must be set to:
flächenvergrößerung
^Thanks for the prompt reply, heading out right away to try this.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:14 PM
boki
3rd Gear
^Thanks for the prompt reply, heading out right away to try this.
Just checked it and it is set to flachenvergr.....what does that other setting do (bremsclicht blinkend)?

Now I want to try that other setting...should I?

Update: just tried it and nothing changed.

Please help!

Last edited by boki; 03-30-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:03 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Just checked it and it is set to flachenvergr.....what does that other setting do (bremsclicht blinkend)?

Now I want to try that other setting...should I?

Update: just tried it and nothing changed.

Please help!

Looked again at your video.

I see you have the running lights on, with the blinker.
When you step on the brake, the turn signal goes solid, but I don't see your brake lights working.

Is that correct?
If so the brake light CANBUS is coded to the turn signal.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Mini coding/programming