Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

EIM Warm Weather Babble

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the MINI are 4 big rubber bumper things that I use to put the jack stands under when I rotate tires or whatever. My MINI now only has 3 of them. I am missing the driver's side rear one. I need to order one of these but I have no clue what they are called. Using the keywords "rubber bumper" at minimania.com isn't very helpful I am feeling stupidly clueless and would appreciate some help, please. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM
smieska
3rd Gear
I think there called a lifting block. About $20

Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smieska
I think there called a lifting block. About $20
Yes! That is it. Thank you. I knew I could count on my MINI community.

Last edited by 05MINI; 09-04-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: want to add more info
Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...or you can go with the heavy duty metal jack points:

http://www.waymotorworks.com/billet-jack-points.html

Probably overkill unless you're autocrossing or constantly putting your MINI up on a jack...but they're sure nice.

Here's a source for the OEM ones -

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-C...Jack/ES128680/

Old 09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
smieska
3rd Gear
I found a couple of puddles of black goop under the right side front of my car. Not oil but thicker and black. After investigating what I thought was a small oil leak from the filter area I noticed the top motor mount was leaking hydraulic fluid. A few clicks later on NAM I found out it is not uncommon for the top motor mount to fail and leak the goop and then allow the motor to move around when accelerating. WMW saw my order yesterday for a TSW engine mount upper and Power Flex lower mount. It looks to be pretty straight forward installation but yet another specialty tool required to remove the lower bolt (E12 socket). Hopefully it shows up this week and can be installed Saturday.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Gil-galad
I found a couple of puddles of black goop under the right side front of my car. Not oil but thicker and black. After investigating what I thought was a small oil leak from the filter area I noticed the top motor mount was leaking hydraulic fluid. A few clicks later on NAM I found out it is not uncommon for the top motor mount to fail and leak the goop and then allow the motor to move around when accelerating. WMW saw my order yesterday for a TSW engine mount upper and Power Flex lower mount. It looks to be pretty straight forward installation but yet another specialty tool required to remove the lower bolt (E12 socket). Hopefully it shows up this week and can be installed Saturday.
Pretty common issue. My '05 had this happen to it. There's a picture of it posted in the bowels of NAM somewhere...

Make sure you don't procrastinate in cleaning up the fluid. Once it congeals it's a bear to remove, and since the pepper white paint in the engine compartment isn't clear coated it's easy to scrub right down through paint. (The voice of experience speaking here.)

Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
...or you can go with the heavy duty metal jack points:

http://www.waymotorworks.com/billet-jack-points.html

Probably overkill unless you're autocrossing or constantly putting your MINI up on a jack...but they're sure nice.

Here's a source for the OEM ones -

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-C...Jack/ES128680/

Thanks! I think I will stick to the $20.00 ones

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
I have most of the goop cleaned up until I remove the mount and Im sure it will leak a little more. Do you remember how the install went? The DIY said to use a floor jack to take the weight off the mounts but not to lift the motor any more than necessary. Once you get the bolts out top and bottom along with the brace bolt does it slide right out? On the bottom one it says to raise the motor enough to get the old bushings out and slide the new lowers in. Seems simple enough until I start.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Gil-galad
I have most of the goop cleaned up until I remove the mount and Im sure it will leak a little more. Do you remember how the install went? The DIY said to use a floor jack to take the weight off the mounts but not to lift the motor any more than necessary. Once you get the bolts out top and bottom along with the brace bolt does it slide right out? On the bottom one it says to raise the motor enough to get the old bushings out and slide the new lowers in. Seems simple enough until I start.
When mine blew I was getting ready to take it in for a regular check-up anyway, so I must confess that I took the lazy man's approach and just had the service department do the swap.

I think your description is correct, and if you get the weight off of the mount it's pretty straightforward. I think the head of the long bolt that goes through the length of the urethane mount has a funky head on it (male torx perhaps?) that demands a tool that is not found in your average toolbox. Way could probably give you some insight on this.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
MeenieMom
2nd Gear
Thanks for the bug shield info. Think I'll just really wax it up like you suggested, Gary.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to take a detour over to the Dragon on my way to Florida. It will only add 80 miles onto the total mileage, but it is already going to be two long driving days as it is.

Or, I can bypass the dragon this time and make a trip to the Smokies at a later time when I can spend some time exploring the miles of curvy roads around the area. It looks like there is also quite a bit of things to see and do, as well.

Sitting on the fence...anyone want to push me one way or the other?

Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by MeenieMom

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to take a detour over to the Dragon on my way to Florida. It will only add 80 miles onto the total mileage, but it is already going to be two long driving days as it is.

Or, I can bypass the dragon this time and make a trip to the Smokies at a later time when I can spend some time exploring the miles of curvy roads around the area. It looks like there is also quite a bit of things to see and do, as well.

Sitting on the fence...anyone want to push me one way or the other?
Why not do both?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM
MeenieMom
2nd Gear

Not as much fun by myself, but maybe I will...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM
old81
M6
Any chance to drive the Dragon by yourself or with a screaming passenger, DO IT!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Gil-galad
Seeing if I can post here from my iPhone using the new NAMotoring app...

Edit (from laptop): It works!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
deanman
5th Gear
It works from an iPad, too.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
Yes, it works from my droid

Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
05MINI
4th Gear
My hubby & I are going to Door County this weekend. Looking forward to those wonderful Wisconsin twisties! Also looking forward to this store I found whilst researching our trip:

http://www.madeinbritainltd.com/index.html

I ought to be able to get some cool Union Jack stuff there!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by 05MINI
My hubby & I are going to Door County this weekend. Looking forward to those wonderful Wisconsin twisties! Also looking forward to this store I found whilst researching our trip:

Can't wait to hear about your trip when you return. I've never been up there before, though I understand there are some mighty fine and scenic motoring roads in the area.

That's one cool store.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM
deanman
5th Gear
My hubby & I are going to Door County this weekend.
I thought I commented on this already but I don't see it. I wonder where it went Maybe the spiders got it.

I'm very jealous about your trip! We love Door County but don't get there often enough

Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by deanman
...Maybe the spiders got it.
Obviously a man who has done his online research!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deanman
I thought I commented on this already but I don't see it. I wonder where it went Maybe the spiders got it.

I'm very jealous about your trip! We love Door County but don't get there often enough
We have never been to Door County so I am looking forward to it.

And spiders are evil!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM
densan57
2nd Gear

Have a great time! The shopping looks like fun. You'll probably fill up Gozer's boot.

S & D

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Gil-galad
Any of you local 1st Gen owners (R50, R52, R53) interested in a used skid plate to protect the underside of your precious MINI engine this winter?

I realized that I still have the Cobalt Aluminum Skid Plate from SHADOWFAX sitting in the corner of my garage, in perfectly fine condition. I also have high-quality stainless steel hex mounting bolts (to replace the inferior (subject to corrosion) Allen-head bolts supplied by Cobalt). If your MINI is a daily driver and sees wintertime roads, a skid plate is great insurance against ice chunks flying up and damaging your oil pan, PS pump fan, and other underside components.

A new Cobalt Skid Plate from Moss MINI (<-link) will run you $144.95 plus shipping.

I'd let mine go for $50 -- hand-delivered, and I can show you how to install it too if desired.

-------

Edit: Sorry folks, it's already spoken for...and headed to its new home in Council Bluffs

Last edited by Gil-galad; 09-27-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
Is that delivered anywhere and installed? I have been contemplating getting one but couldnt justify the $150 to do it. For $50 I am interested and could probably install it myself. Did you leave it on year round?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Gil-galad
Is that delivered anywhere and installed? I have been contemplating getting one but couldnt justify the $150 to do it. For $50 I am interested and could probably install it myself. Did you leave it on year round?
Hmmm... when I postulated "hand delivery" I hadn't even considered CB. Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle.

Some folks leave them on year-round but I always took mine off in late spring, figuring I'd optimize the air flow through the engine compartment and to the PS Pump during the warmer months. Always put it back on the same day I'd mount my winter wheels/tires, usually the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: EIM Warm Weather Babble