Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSH catch can and dual boost port install

I was going to try to do a custom install of another vendors can until I saw this one on NAM.

The install was very simple and the parts seem to be of very high quality. I love this kit because you do not need to cut the factory PCV tube, and it doesn't neck down to 3/8 hose like the others.

I thought I was going to have to install the can on the firewall because the Alta intake locates the cold air tube right where the CC is supposed to go.

I did find a solution though. By moving the bracket down one hole (see first pic) I used some blue lock tite here to make sure it wouldn't spin with only the one bolt. I was able to use the tab on the fire wall. By mounting the CC bracket on the bottom side of the firewall tab I gained enough hood clearance. At the same time it raised the can up high enough to rest on the factory fresh air tube. I put a piece of rubber between the two.

I should note again that I only had a clearance problem because of the after market intake pushing the fresh air tube further to the right than normal.

Here is the can all installed

It's tight, but there's plenty of room so it doesn't rub (they say you don't need hose clamps here but it seemed too loose to me...)

The dual boost port was a cinch to install as well. I used the optional plug to divert the PCV gasses from both sources through the catch can, thus eliminating the need to run two. That is enough reason to buy it, but it also provides two boost sources if you need them. I already have the Alta boost tap for my BOV so I capped them both. I'll use them for future mods though...

So over all all I absolutely love this CC. I love the looks, I love the fact that I didn't have to cut the factory PCV tube. It was easy to install, high quality, baffled, and most importantly, takes care of booth PCV gas sources with one CC.

The only minor complaints that I have are:

1. The drain plug hole in the CC is not tapered so the plug never gets tight. I'm pretty sure it would fall into the CC if turned in to much? I solved this by going to the auto parts store and getting a plug with a head on it, adding an O ring and screwing it in tight. Obviously it isn't tight yet in the pic

2. The boost port only comes with one plug and two wholes. If you are only using it to block the PCV port, and not as a boost source, you're short a plug.

3. They do not give you a nut to use when you install it on the firewall tab. I picked up a lock nut while I was at the parts store.

Other than those very minor things, This set up is great. Far superior to the others I've seen. I'm sure this will become THE CC to use.

Last edited by 09MellowJCW; 02-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
go team... i'm getting my boost adaptor tuesday! :D

let me know if you end up having any CELs... not that i'm expecting any, but i'd be curious with the block off feature....

Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
go team... I'm getting my boost adaptor tuesday! :D

let me know if you end up having any CELs... not that I'm expecting any, but I'd be curious with the block off feature....
I asked them about CEL's. They assured me it would not happen. Something about how the second PCV was due to very strict industry testing, and under hood sniffers, blah, blah, blah...

I drove it around a bit today and so far so good. I really like this kit. It's obvious that some real thought went into it.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:20 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
agreed... ya gotta give a lot of credit to BSH for how they executed the kit and made the fittings, etc. now if everyone else who made a catch can put that kinda effort into it...

Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
agreed... ya gotta give a lot of credit to BSH for how they executed the kit and made the fittings, etc. now if everyone else who made a catch can put that kinda effort into it...
I talked to the owner on the phone when I ordered the CC (can't remember his name). Seemed like a good guy. He told me that he owns all the equipment to make the parts. I'm sure it's a matter of cost for the other guys. It, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you, is a lot cheaper to send a couple of reducers than to pay for outside R&D and the manufacturing of new fittings.

Everyone else will have to put that much effort in once word gets out about this can. It's the same price as the others (with free shipping), stays 3/4 the whole way, is baffled (unlike the others), looks great, and for an extra $60 has a provision to take care of both sides. Not to mention that if you do spend the extra $60, you get not one, but two, boost sources!

Why would you buy anything else?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
+1

at least for now... before you needed the MAP spacer...

Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool. What pipe is that connectinging your intake to the turbo the flat black metal looking one?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Sales@BSH
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW

1. The drain plug hole in the CC is not tapered so the plug never gets tight. I'm pretty sure it would fall into the CC if turned in to much? I solved this by going to the auto parts store and getting a plug with a head on it, adding an O ring and screwing it in tight. Obviously it isn't tight yet in the pic
Excellent solution..

2. The boost port only comes with one plug and two wholes. If you are only using it to block the PCV port, and not as a boost source, you're short a plug.
Maybe time to sell the other boost tap..

3. They do not give you a nut to use when you install it on the firewall tab. I picked up a lock nut while I was at the parts store.
The bolt, nut and washers can be used for both mounting locations.

Other than those very minor things, This set up is great. Far superior to the others I've seen. I'm sure this will become THE CC to use.
Thank you There is much more to come..

Don't forget to reinsert the factory clip

Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can BSH make a 2.5 o.d catch can ?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Cool. What pipe is that connectinging your intake to the turbo the flat black metal looking one?
that's Alta's new Hardpipe turbo inlet hose... the one that replaced their silicone one...

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sweet! I am going to look into that. How is it?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:31 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Porthos
I have the alta hardpipe . you want it ?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:52 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Maybe time to sell the other boost tap..
Nah, I'll use the ones on your tap eventually for a boost gauge and meth inj.

The bolt, nut and washers can be used for both mounting locations.
Unless I dropped it somewhere, there wasn't a nut in the packaging. Doesn't matter anyway. I would have gotten a lock nut anyway. Like I said, VERY minor. I love the OCC I need to learn how to do that little circle thing...

Don't forget to reinsert the factory clip
Thank you. Took the picture before I reread the instructions and realized it had to go back on.

Thank you There is much more to come..
If it stays as well engineered as this, I can't wait...

I like it. I know it's only cosmetic but I had it all apart anyway, I like the way it looks, and I ordered it during their resolution sale to boot!

Last edited by 09MellowJCW; 02-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
i'd take the hardpipe if i had a JCW, and if i wasn't worried about it not matching up to my DoS intake... the angle in the pictures looks like it wouldn't quite work...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
tacostrk
2nd Gear
Will this work with the stock or JCW airbox?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
the catchcan and dual boost tap? or Alta turbo inlet pipe?

either way my guess would most definitely be yes...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tacostrk
Will this work with the stock or JCW airbox?
The catch can will for sure. It's made to go right where I put it if you have the stock intake. Only you can use both bracket holes on the can (first pic), and it sits down a little lower in the engine bay. If you had an intake that deletes the factory fresh air pipe (from the grill to the air box) it can go further to the front on another factory tab, where the M7 can is made to go.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
Shot you a PM.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Did you inform BSH about the issues you found with the catch can?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Did you inform BSH about the issues you found with the catch can?
Actually they posted in this thread. I checked under the hood today and the drain plug was dripping a little. I guess I'll have to find another solution to that problem. The O ring isn't working. I'll probably try a flatter rubber washer with a metal washer over it. I'm trying to avoid wrapping it with teflon tape. Maybe a tappered plastic plug?

We'll see...

It did catch a LOT of oil and water though! I was surprised just how much was in there actually.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Actually they posted in this thread. I checked under the hood today and the drain plug was dripping a little. I guess I'll have to find another solution to that problem. The O ring isn't working. I'll probably try a flatter rubber washer with a metal washer over it. I'm trying to avoid wrapping it with teflon tape. Maybe a tappered plastic plug?

We'll see...

It did catch a LOT of oil and water though! I was surprised just how much was in there actually.

Yes, he did.But, all he said was excellent solution ,but as you just stated ,your fix didn't work. I'd love to buy one,but don't want to have to deal with finding a fix.guess I'll wait for a fix

Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
GO K4RT
1st Gear

We'll see...

Why not use a flange bolt and use a copper washer like the drain plug on an oil pan.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Yes, he did.But, all he said was excellent solution ,but as you just stated ,your fix didn't work. I'd love to buy one,but don't want to have to deal with finding a fix.guess I'll wait for a fix
I'm sure teflon tape would work. I just don't want to deal with it every time I empty the can. The problem with the O ring is that as you tighten it, it tries to roll over the head of the bolt. The bolt would need a groove in it to hold the O ring in place. I think a wider, washer like, rubber with a metal washer on top of it to keep the bolt head from going thru the rubber would work.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GO K4RT
Why not use a flange bolt and use a copper washer like the drain plug on an oil pan.
That would probably work too. The only problem is that you would want a new crush washer every time you empty it.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
wineguy
2nd Gear
How often do you need to empty the can?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install