Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain LW Flywheel/Clutch - grinding; fan always on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LW Flywheel/Clutch - grinding; fan always on?

Finished my JBR LW Flywheel/FX300 install, and so far it feels great - it's only been 20 miles or so though

Got a pretty definitive grinding sound when I'm driving with the clutch fully engaged and letting off the accelerator. Car FEELS fine - but man it's a strange sound, and as soon as I put even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal it goes away. Basically coasting in gear on the highway, off the gas.

Also, the aux fan is always running - turns off with the car, but as soon as I fire it up, it goes and doesn't stop. The only thing in relation I can think of is the A/C lines and condenser were removed - anything to do with that?

Can't wait to get past the break in period...I feel like I'm driving around with an egg under my clutch pedal!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Anyone? I really don't want to tear the car apart to find out there's nothing wrong. What's the deal?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
When I was breaking in my FX200 there was noticeable decelleration noise. How loud is it? My suggestion would be to try not to engine/compression brake while breaking in your FX300!

Jeremy

Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
IceManMCS
Banned
I'm not saying its normal, but I also experienced a moderately loud rattling noise on hard acceleration and deceleration when I was breaking in my CM flywheel & FX200. I almost tore everything back apart because I thought I probably mounted the clutch disk on backwards, but decided to wait and see if it fixed itself over time since nothing broke yet and I didn't really want to spend another full weekend working on my car.

1000 miles later, the noise was still there on deceleration. After 2000 miles, everything sounds normal, but with a slight chattering noise at idle speeds. I now have about 2700 miles on the setup and everything feels tight.

Last edited by IceManMCS; 11-08-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
I've had my SPEC Stg 2+ for almost a year and about 16,000km and did a 700km break-in(which sucked). Like Iceman said...chatter is there when idling down, and the like...but it is expected from what I gather when you go from a dampened dual mass to a single l/w alum one. its nothing to worry about

Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
if the ac pressure switch is unplugged, it will read as if the ac pressure is through the roof, and will make the ac not function, and run the aux fan on high in an attempt to cool the ac condenser. id talk to jan or someone about what you should do when removing the ac to fool the system to think you still have ac, and its working as it should

Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
First - thanks SO MUCH for weighing in - I was feeling the same way, ready to tear it all apart and make sure everything went in right. I was super **** about putting everything together though, so I can't picture how I would have done anything wrong or how taking it apart and putting it back together would help unless it's a defective part. The performance is everything I wanted - it's just that scraping/dragging sound when letting off the accelerator, and sometimes on harder acceleration, that scares the crap out of me. It seems to be getting softer, so I'll keep on truckin' and weigh in lol.

I have not gone over 4k RPM AT ALL aside from once or twice, and put the clutch in and let the car slow itself down before putting it in a much higher gear. I have done ZERO engine braking aside from letting off the accelerator while driving - NO WOT shifts, no engine braking shifts at all, and I haven't shifted with the speeds higher than 3-3800 rpm. It's KILLING me, but I'm patiently waiting - 300 miles so far!

Soccer - that is my EXACT theory, and I now need to figure out a way to trick the fan into seeing it as such. Everyone suggested a bad relay - timing was too close, worked fine before the clutch job, now not working right after a/c removal and reassembly.

Anyone else fix this issue?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Guys, ditto here also. I installed an FX200 w/alum flywheel in my 04 MCS this past spring. Info from the internet told me that some increased chatter in neutral with the clutch pedal out would be expected. This was true for me and much louder with the a/c on. What I didn't read was all the racket this setup makes between 2500-3500 rpm's in !st,2nd, and 3rd gears under accel & deaccel. And a barly audable rattle in 4th & 5th. On the plus side;engine responce is much quicker,clutch engagement quicker and really tranfers the torque!! Didn't bug me as much in the summer with the windows open and the radio on, but now with windows up its driving me crazy. The pluses are not wurth all the noise, I'am hoping to redo this with OEM parts come Janurary. Know anyone interested in buying a used clutch/flywheel setup with approx 4500 miles of daily street driving?
Everyone enjoy your rides and Happy Motoring, Jeff

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey gokaht, you didn't grease the throw out bearing when you installed the clutch did you?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:35 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Hey gokaht, you didn't grease the throw out bearing when you installed the clutch did you?
No, just the guide tube and the contact points for the clutch fork.