1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexplainable

Old 09-25-2015, 10:08 AM
rt808
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unexplainable

My car haven't been driven in a months due to overheating, once in a while ran the engine to keep the bettery charged but yesterday engine doesn't turn just clicking, jumper the car but having difficulties all the warning light illuminated except the battery warning light...weird though, tried several times ensuring jumper cable has good connection then finally started, drove around then the rest of the light cleared execpt the dcs and the power windows will not operate.
I decided to remove the battery and charge overnight...BTW the battery is Optima and its only 2 years old, hardly drive the car except when my son coming home from College. Today i decided to replace the Coolant expansion tank where i found some seepage from the joint in the middle, removed the socket wire connector located next to the air filter (driver side) ensuring its tight, started the car fine, power windows works fine and cleared all the warning lights, no engine code though..which surprised me, but still car overheats, i hear the low speed fan running at certain temperature but if i use the AC the radiator fan stop and the AC compressor stop as well. I am planning to evacuate the coolant i have the tools now to do it, change the harmonic balancer ( still good as of now ) but im going to replace it all at once, and solid thermostat housing....Comments are welcome. Thank You

Last edited by rt808; 09-25-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
What year MINI?
S or non-S?
Which Tranny?
Hardtop or cabriolet?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yep, model and year needed.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 PM
rt808
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, model and year needed.
Its 2002 MCS, Manual Transmission/hard top.
It started overheating when the thermostat seal leaking after the dealer changed it, followed by the low speed fan not working, replaced the radiator fan, changed the gasket myself and ever since its been on going issue, water pump also changed along with the new supercharger(seal leak on PTO side) done this done that, tilt the whole car and bleed the air and still same issue, the only thing i haven't done is to evacuate the system.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
" evacuate the system" and check the thermostat they replaced. I have seen new ones stick, you can test it by placing it in a hot bowl of water and seeing the valve if it moves at the centigrade temp marked on the part.

Battery, even though its a optimum battery it will need load changed, its might be bad. Then inspect the lines going from the battery to the starter, on a 02 you might have corrosion on the starter terminals, then check the battery connection in the rear and the terminal with the little yellow/ black box on it.

Thats where I would start.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-25-2015, 01:40 PM
rt808
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
" evacuate the system" and check the thermostat they replaced. I have seen new ones stick, you can test it by placing it in a hot bowl of water and seeing the valve if it moves at the centigrade temp marked on the part.

Battery, even though its a optimum battery it will need load changed, its might be bad. Then inspect the lines going from the battery to the starter, on a 02 you might have corrosion on the starter terminals, then check the battery connection in the rear and the terminal with the little yellow/ black box on it.

Thats where I would start.
Thanks ECS for the input, yeah i have a wish list in your website the thermostat housing and silicone radiator hoses those are the parts im going to replace...

Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by rt808
Thanks ECS for the input, yeah i have a wish list in your website the thermostat housing and silicone radiator hoses those are the parts im going to replace...

Welcome,

Thanks for the order.

Let me know if you need anything else.