F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Auto AC not so auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:26 AM
kevinlhr310
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto AC not so auto?

I just received my 2016 MCS with the dual zone AC.

My understanding is that the central **** is used to set the 'maximum' fan speed when in auto mode. However, in my experience, it seems that **** just sets the fan speed. When I have it on max, it never seems to slow down and goes at full blast for my entire trip.

It could be that the AC in the car isn't that strong but the weather now is quite mild and it still goes full blast until I turn it down myself.

Also, the air flow never seems to change. In the mornings when it's cold, i feel hot air coming from both the top and bottom vents. And when I drive home after work in the heat, cold air comes from all the vents.

Anyone else experience these problems? Wonder of its just a mini quirk.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Same thing in my 2011 Countryman, I only use auto if it is boiling hot outside.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kevinlhr310
I just received my 2016 MCS with the dual zone AC.

My understanding is that the central **** is used to set the 'maximum' fan speed when in auto mode. However, in my experience, it seems that **** just sets the fan speed. When I have it on max, it never seems to slow down and goes at full blast for my entire trip.

It could be that the AC in the car isn't that strong but the weather now is quite mild and it still goes full blast until I turn it down myself.

Also, the air flow never seems to change. In the mornings when it's cold, i feel hot air coming from both the top and bottom vents. And when I drive home after work in the heat, cold air comes from all the vents.

Anyone else experience these problems? Wonder of its just a mini quirk.
I just attribute it to the British never really got a handle on how Auto Climate Control systems work. When I had my Land Rovers, when the AC was on, the front defroster would belt out hot air while the front vents sent out cold air. In the winter it was the reverse. With the Mini, the Auto function never really worked right for me either, I was always fiddling with it to get it set just right. My R56 had manual controls and I was able to find the right settings that worked for me. My F56 has the Auto unit, I just shut off the auto settings and tweak the settings myself till I find something comfortable.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:55 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I had Auto AC on my 2007 MCS. When it was hot it would crank the fan until it cooled off and back off automatically. Same when it was cold except it took a minute or two to start blowing until the water heated up. I didn't have to touch the fan speed dial unless I wanted to override it, if I did the Auto light went out. Sounds like yours is not working right to me. I'd have it checked out. You aren't the first person to complain about it either.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:08 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I had Auto AC on my 2007 MCS. When it was hot it would crank the fan until it cooled off and back off automatically. Same when it was cold except it took a minute or two to start blowing until the water heated up. I didn't have to touch the fan speed dial unless I wanted to override it, if I did the Auto light went out. Sounds like yours is not working right to me. I'd have it checked out. You aren't the first person to complain about it either.
The new Auto units on the F55/56's don't do that, you still have to set your fan speed in auto unless you hit the max AC button. The car will decide where to blow out air depending on temp outside and inside, but as far as the fan goes it doesn't adjust it.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:09 PM
MasterYoda
2nd Gear
I loathed the Auto AC when I first got my MINI. I had an Accord previously that you just set the temp and it did all the work. Since I've adjusted to the MINI system, I've gotten it to work similarly.

I just leave both temps at 68 and adjust the fan dial between one tick above middle and one tick below middle and hit the max A/C button for cooling down the car when I first get in, if needed.

I would still prefer it to ACTUALLY be auto, but I've gotten used to it. It works basically the same now.

It also drove me crazy that you couldn't tie the temp dials together; Switching to using just the fan speed dial is a nice workaround.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:52 PM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
Actually, there some auto speed fan control. Whether it is hot or cold outside and you have the system set to auto, the fan will increase in speed until it hits the temp you set then back off to the speed setting you have the fan set. Mine does it reliably each time.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:02 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
This appears to be the way my 2015 operates also. We have our fan speed dial set to the 12 O Clock position. When the car gets started there is a hesitation and the AC starts to blow at what appears to be full blast. It remains that way until temps in the car lower at which point the fan speed automatically lowers to a slower speed I have manually set on the dial. As indicated above, if we choose to have a stronger AC stream from the vents (after the unit has cooled the car down and back off on the air flow), we can move the center dial from the 12 O Clock further to the right for stronger AC air flow.

It appears to be working as advertised for us in our MCS.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:43 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I have to ask, since it's come up before - do you have it in "Auto" mode?

It should function as described where the fans will not go past the set point on the middle dial, but they should go down, depending on ambient temps and what you have the thermostat set to.

I usually keep mine at 68 for the summer and now, 70-72 degrees since it's cooling down. The middle dial is set to the 12 o'clock position. I find this position is efficient without being noisy.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:47 PM
kevinlhr310
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I have to ask, since it's come up before - do you have it in "Auto" mode?

It should function as described where the fans will not go past the set point on the middle dial, but they should go down, depending on ambient temps and what you have the thermostat set to.

I usually keep mine at 68 for the summer and now, 70-72 degrees since it's cooling down. The middle dial is set to the 12 o'clock position. I find this position is efficient without being noisy.
Yup, have it set in auto. Says auto in the central dial.

Sounds like mine may be defective then. Surely must be programming. Might bring it in during 1st service and have them check it out.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:22 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The light is on? [4]

Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM
kevinlhr310
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands

The light is on? [4]
Yes the little green light above auto is on.