5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Official 2nd Annual Dragon Brew Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the "draw from a hat" idea... if the number of teams can't be fully accommodated, I like an elimination style. Just make the first event a fast one that the entire team participates in... like a boat race!

The final event? How about a pyramid race?

Oh man... all this just brings back memories of the "Beer Olymics" (they made it two words) in my college dorm, circa 1992.

What will be the criteria for creating a team? Should it be a club/vendor-based model where you have to be "sponsored" (I use that term very lightly)? Or a "free for all" where anyone can just make up a team and give it a name?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
There has to be SOME limit on the number of teams. It was 4 this year. Initially I thought 6 this year. So maybe 8 or 10 max with teams being eliminated after one or two games.

Thing is I need more games.

Beer Pong is a given. Boat Races is a given. I need at least 3 more if we use just 6 teams. If we use 8-10 teams I think I need 5 more events.

By the way, one team is mine. So far it's me and Ashboomstick. I'm taking applications now.

To better answer your question Edge, teams don't need any sponsorship. They need to make a request to me officially via email and the limit is 5 members per team. Alternates are allowed in case we have a situation like with the Florida team this year.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Thing is I need more games.

Beer Pong is a given. Boat Races is a given. I need at least 3 more if we use just 6 teams. If we use 8-10 teams I think I need 5 more events.
Speed quarters - 25 quarters per contestant at a target in 1 minute. The most "hits" wins.

Too bad it's not an outside event, you could do the tricycle race ala Revenge of the Nerds.

Sorry I didn't get to say "Hey" at the Brew Swap, Matt. Every time I got over there, you seemed very busy.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Beer Olympics in a dictionary! LOL

"Beer Olympics consists of multiple beer related events in which teams compete to win the Beer Olympics Gold Medal. Games include but are not restricted to: Beer Pong, Chug n' Run, Keg Toss, Flip Cup, Timed Beer Bong, and King of the Table. Teams compete for points in each event and the winner is named at the end of the event and is named Beer Olympics Champion for that year."

I don't know what most of these games are. You might be able to find directions online.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Here's one:

Beer-Handed Arm Wrestling
Regular arm wrestling is for bar room amatuers! Beer-Handed Arm Wrestling not only challenges your strength, but your ability to hold a full beer at the same time. One member of each team pairs off to arm wrestle, with the winners advancing to the next rounds until we have the Beer-Handed Amr Wrestling Champion.

Found one more that could be modded for the Olympics:
Fill a pint glass or party cup 3/4 full of beer. Make the foam clear. Take a shot glass and make it float in the glass of beer. Each person must pour at least a drop of their drink into the shot glass and it must float for 3 seconds. Each person takes a turn until the "Chalupa" is sunk. Whoever sinks the "Chalupa" must chug the beer in a minute or less with the shot glass still in the cup. If they do not drink it in a minute or less they then have to drink another full beer in a minute.

Well basically here is a site with a whole bunch of games listed

Last edited by bamatt; 05-09-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by MOE4me
Speed quarters - 25 quarters per contestant at a target in 1 minute. The most "hits" wins.

Too bad it's not an outside event, you could do the tricycle race ala Revenge of the Nerds.

Sorry I didn't get to say "Hey" at the Brew Swap, Matt. Every time I got over there, you seemed very busy.
That's not too much different than what we did this year. This year it was 20 quarters and untimed but it didn't last longer than 2-3 minutes (not counting chug time).

And sorry I missed you too. I was going down the attendance list today going, damn...didn't see them. You were one of "them".

Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Matt - you didn't mention if you knew about the Pyramid Race.

A full case of beer per team - 24, poured out into 24 cups. The object is for the entire team to drink all 24 beers and stack the cups into a pyramid. The first team to do this successfully wins.

The amusing part is that the slower, lighter drinkers end up having 2 or 3 beers... and the faster, heavier drinkers end up having 4 or 5, in the time allotted. Obviously a very light beer (in terms of alcohol percentage) should be used. Also, a requirement for a certain ratio of men/women is advised. Say... 6 players, at least 2 of them women, or something like that.

I think it's a fantastic "final" event to determine the winning team, personally.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Edge
Matt - you didn't mention if you knew about the Pyramid Race.

A full case of beer per team - 24, poured out into 24 cups. The object is for the entire team to drink all 24 beers and stack the cups into a pyramid. The first team to do this successfully wins.

The amusing part is that the slower, lighter drinkers end up having 2 or 3 beers... and the faster, heavier drinkers end up having 4 or 5, in the time allotted. Obviously a very light beer (in terms of alcohol percentage) should be used. Also, a requirement for a certain ratio of men/women is advised. Say... 6 players, at least 2 of them women, or something like that.

I think it's a fantastic "final" event to determine the winning team, personally.
That's a lot of beer man. I hadn't heard about that before. I will definitely keep that one in mind.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
That's a lot of beer man. I hadn't heard about that before. I will definitely keep that one in mind.
It's the contest of champions! When I was in the aforementioned college dorm "Beer Olympics", it was a competition between each floor of the dorm. With 6 floors, 6 teams... and the Pyramid Race was the coup de grâce.

It's a variation on what is known as a Case Race... but that one doesn't add the pyramid stack at the end, which I think is a key factor... the ability to perform the stacking stunt after consuming all of that beer is part of the challenge!

I do recommend keeping large, empty trash cans handy in case of some... unplanned expulsion.