Vendor Announcements Announcments from the Sponsors of North American Motoring. New products, test results, and more.

No more bugs or rocks in your radiator!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more bugs or rocks in your radiator!

I come from the world of BMW motorcycles, but have now entered your world of MINI Coopers. However, we are all in the world where bugs can drive us crazy if they clog our radiators. For the last four years I have made protective grills for radiators and oil coolers for BMW motorcycles, it is now your turn to have that protection on your MINIS. I offer powder coated aluminum guards for the radiators on MINIS which will protect the delicate fins and keep them debris free. Check me out @ www.bugguardsforbeemers.com

Old 09-13-2007, 10:06 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are these removable to be hosed out?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
how much does this cut down on airflow/cooling capacity?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Dang, why does the MINI's bug guard have the highest price tag?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
There is a lot more material used...the others are for motorcycles

Mark

Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I did some of the beta testing on this and can answer some of the questions.

how much does this cut down on airflow/cooling capacity?
In track testing at Road Atlanta in July with outside temps in the mid 90's I saw a 7 degree increase in water temps. The way I tested was by running a session without the unit and then a session with. Repeated this twice.

Data was collected and logged using a Racepak G2X along with the Racepak gauge and sensor.

In stop and go street driving in the Texas summer with temps approaching 100 the temps with the bug guard were never more then 5 degrees above the norm.

Sustained highway driving for over 2 hours at 100-103 outside the temps normalized to be the same as operating temps without the unit.

In all situations I did see a slightly increased climb rate to normal operating temps.

Are these removable to be hosed out?
Yes, I also use the M7 Air Plate Diverter and that does have to be removed to R and R the bug guard. 13mm wrench makes short work of that.

Hope that helps...

Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
dgcooks
3rd Gear
neato.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh, with a 410 phone #, you would think they would have talked to DCMM about testing as well. Oh well, looks like a cool product though.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
I don't know how much it would affect IAT's but is there one for the IC?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
A couple of questions answered..

I am the maker of the Bug-Guards and have been running one on my MCS for a year. On the stock guage, I see no increase in temps, but of course with all of the guages that "gnatster" has on his tricked out machine, I'd go by his numbers, but either way it poses no problems.

Yes, the "Guard" removes in seconds to clean on all models but the R56 coupes. There, you have to remove the grill to get to the "Guard" but with the powder coating, believe me the bugs wash out easily.

Sorry to the DCMM members. I tried to gather interest on the board for testers, only two responded, and none were DCMM members. Plus, I was at the MINI of Towson Autocross event in July with them on display and no DCMM member seemed interested, sorry. I know for a fact this area has bugs! Try one you'll like it.

The reason they are the more money then the motocrycle ones is the size, so of course the material use is greater. Also, I had to get custom mailing boxes made.

Trust me they work and are easy to install. I know bugs aren't of a big concern now, but rocks are. Plus, remember one for a great Christmas gift.

I would like to personally thank Mark, Sam and the "gnatster"for their help and I hope the product will grace many more MINI's in the future.

I hate bug guts!!!

Thanks, Gene

Old 10-20-2007, 07:20 PM
gaminis
3rd Gear
Bug-Guard

I installed a Bug-Guard on my '06 MCS Cabrio, and I'm very happy with it. It's very easy to pop off and clean, and the powder coating keeps it looking like new...

gaminis

Old 10-22-2007, 02:59 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Funny, the first 'mod' I did on my 02MC was to install a piece of screen between the radiator and the grill to prevent bug juice and body parts from getting in between the fins of the radiator. It's worked like a charm. Your product looks a lot better, but I'll leave the screen installed and take that $55 and put it towards some other mods.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Glad you like it!

Glad to hear you like the product. I hear it even kept a lot of grass out of Nate's radiator during his recent off. If clueless what I am talking about check out gnaster's post on the M7 splitter. I PM'ed him to check on how he was doing and how the guard survived (first known "Bug-Guard" in accident). He is fine, (great news) and he said the guard survived fine and kept a sh..load of grass out of the radiator fins.

Gene
www.bugguardsforbeemers.com

Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emsjr
I am the maker of the Bug-Guards and have been running one on my MCS for a year. On the stock guage, I see no increase in temps, but of course with all of the guages that "gnatster" has on his tricked out machine, I'd go by his numbers, but either way it poses no problems.

Yes, the "Guard" removes in seconds to clean on all models but the R56 coupes. There, you have to remove the grill to get to the "Guard" but with the powder coating, believe me the bugs wash out easily.

Sorry to the DCMM members. I tried to gather interest on the board for testers, only two responded, and none were DCMM members. Plus, I was at the MINI of Towson Autocross event in July with them on display and no DCMM member seemed interested, sorry. I know for a fact this area has bugs! Try one you'll like it.

The reason they are the more money then the motocrycle ones is the size, so of course the material use is greater. Also, I had to get custom mailing boxes made.

Trust me they work and are easy to install. I know bugs aren't of a big concern now, but rocks are. Plus, remember one for a great Christmas gift.

I would like to personally thank Mark, Sam and the "gnatster"for their help and I hope the product will grace many more MINI's in the future.

I hate bug guts!!!

Thanks, Gene
I don't recall hearing anything about this product. Good luck with sales and I may pick one up come Spring time.