Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

18” Tire Replacement Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18” Tire Replacement Dilemma

About 700 miles ago I changed out the 17" X 7" Conical Black Spoke Wheels on my new 2013 R58 S Coupe for the R113 JCW 18" X 7" Cross Spoke Gloss Black Wheels. They came with 205/40R18 Pirelli Pzero run flats. Looked great and of course the run flats were, well...run flats.

So today the TPMS kicks on for the left rear. Well, crap it’s picked up a nail and less than 700 miles in, there’s no repair (Pirelli says no to plugging their run flats). So it’s time to replace the tire...or did I say tires.

Always planned to dump the run flats for more enjoyable tires...just wasn’t going to do so at 700 miles in. But I’m starting to think: well, what the heck.

I also have to factor in a few mods. Sitting in my garage waiting to go on the coupe are the following
  1. Öhlins DFV Road and Track coilovers (BMS MI20)
  2. Eibach camber plates
  3. Eibach rear control arms
  4. Hotchkiss 25mm hollow rear sway bar
As far as driving the vehicle, I’d say the intent is aggressive street driving, hitting the twisties and on occasion (once a year) spending a day on the track. I want some value out of it all so I don’t want to be replacing them all at 20K. Of course, I also want to take into consideration my passenger. I tell her all the time that “it rides a bit rough because they are run flats” Therefore, in order I’m looking for: Handling, Tread life, Comfort & Noise. Also I’m in Southern California so no worries about cold or snow performance.

So with all the above now I have to make a couple of decisions:

Which tire...right now I’m considering:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Continental Extreme Contact DWS
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110

What size...knowing that the mods will result in lowering and any other effects:

205/40R18
215/40R18
215/35R18
...or ?

Or do I just replace the single Pirelli Pzero run flat and look at this all down the road?

Any thoughts / experiences would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Last edited by RoyalCooper; 06-11-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
If you are a costco or Sam's club member you can ask them if they would fix the flat even though it is a runflat. If the puncture is near the sidewall they cannot fix it but if it is in the center of the tread area they might do it. Nevermind what Pirelli says.

If you replace just the one runflat that is the cheapest option.
Tirerack.com has it for $297 each, contact Alex@tirerack.com for more info.

As far and replacement tire sizes go-

205/40-18 is fine, this is OEM so clearance is OK.
215/40-18 is too tall at 24.8" but if you do a minimal drop with your coilovers you might make it fit, adjust negative camber as well. More negative front camber can wear tires on the inner treads a bit, watch you toe setting in front, try zero toe if you don't want to wear that much. Stock setting is toe in, autocross setting is slight toe out.
215/35-18 is fine, has tire diameter of 24" which offers more clearance but 35 series is stiff so it's not for driving on bad roads.

Some choices for tires in that size include-
Sumitomo HTR ZIII (Max Summer tire) $118 each
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All Season tire) $142 each
see
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...35&diameter=18

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the premium street tire to look for-
In your case it comes in 205/40-18 for $170 each, 300 treadwear
This can handle some track use better than other street tires.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the premium street tire to look for-
In your case it comes in 205/40-18 for $170 each, 300 treadwear
This can handle some track use better than other street tires.
Besides the run flat Pirelli that's the only choice other than a Yokohama S.drive. Wish Continental ExtremeContact and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 came in that size so that I at least felt like I was making a choice, rather than 'this is it'

Last edited by RoyalCooper; 06-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
As far and replacement tire sizes go-

205/40-18 is fine, this is OEM so clearance is OK.
215/40-18 is too tall at 24.8" but if you do a minimal drop with your coilovers you might make it fit, adjust negative camber as well. More negative front camber can wear tires on the inner treads a bit, watch you toe setting in front, try zero toe if you don't want to wear that much. Stock setting is toe in, autocross setting is slight toe out.
215/35-18 is fine, has tire diameter of 24" which offers more clearance but 35 series is stiff so it's not for driving on bad roads.
That seems to settle the replacement tire sizes for me. Don't want the rough ride from the stiff sidewall. Just as important is to be able to align them so they perform well both for handling and wear. So best to stay with the 205/40R18

Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
Besides the run flat Pirelli that's the only choice other than a Yokohama S.drive. Wish Continental ExtremeContact and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 came in that size so that I at least felt like I was making a choice, rather than 'this is it'
In 205/40-18 you have these tires from tirerack.com-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=18

You are not limited to the brands that tirerack.com sells, if you can find a better tire in your price range that meets your needs then that would be fine.

Honestly, is there a better street tire with good handling and good ride comfort? Not really, you can get better grip with an Extreme Summer tire, but it won't wear as well nor be as comfortable for daily driving.

The other factor is you are lowering your MINI which means you may have rubbing issues if you use a tire size that is taller and or wider than OEM.
Otherwise 215/40-18 would have been a viable size and tire selection is better-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=18

The minimum drop you can do with the Ohlin coilovers might be not that much, seems it is designed to be 15mm lower than stock, or about .59" drop.

Given that, you may be able to use that plus some negative camber to help make a 215/40-18 tire work for you. You might check around and see if other owners have done it with a lowered MINI. You may also need to trim the rear lower edge of the wheel arch and remove some plastic.

If 215/40-18 then in Max Summer tires-
Continental ExtremeContact DW $155 each, 340 treadwear
Michelin Pilot Super Sport $231 each, 300 treadwear (costs more than 205/40-18)
Sumitomo HTR ZIII $124 each, 300 treadwear

In 215/40-18 for Ultra High Performance Summer tires
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2
$145 each, 340 treadwear
Tirerack test result-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=163
A good tire for the money, maybe not as comfortable and maybe slightly better treadwear (likely only a little better), handles well especially in the wet.

The ExtremeContact is comfortable for street use, some owners complain it feels too soft for good handling. The HTR ZIII is a good tire on a budget.

Last edited by minihune; 06-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Thanks Minihune you've been a great help

Michelin Pilot Super Sport for $167 each (today @ TireRack) in 205/40-18 make the most sense.

Now onto who, where, how... Discount Tire has them for $178 each which works out to this out the door:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (34227) $178.00 $712.00
205/40ZR18XL 86Y B

Environmental Fee (State Required) $1.75 $7.00

Tire Disposal Fee $2.50 $10.00

Valve Stems, Lifetime Rotations FREE

Installation & Lifetime Spin Balancing $16.00 $64.00

(4) Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement $25.75 $103.00

(4) TPMS Rebuild Kit $5.50 $22.00

Subtotal $918.00
CA 8.00% Sales Tax $59.52

Total "Out the Door" Price $977.52

That's with everything they can throw at it. With such low miles on the run flats currently on the car would I really need the TPMS Rebuild Kit? Also is the $103 for their "warranty" needed?

Pull those two out and the price OTD drops to $850 ($177 less)

Also has anyone had Discount Tire match Tire Rack...I know there is shipping involved but there is also the tax vs no tax (which basically makes it a wash).

Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM
minihune
I would skip anything that was not required.
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a superior riding tire compared to the OEM runflats.

So, replace one runflat or buy a new set of non runflats.
If you remove the OEM runflats carefully you might be able to sell them as backups for someone that uses runflats.

You cannot mix runflats with nonrunflats.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Pirelli's Road Hazard Warranty might apply.

If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or material irregularities or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge. The initial warranty period lasts one year from the date of original retail purchase (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of original tread, whichever occurs first. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship and material irregularities or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost for a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rated basis. An authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner will be responsible for any associated service charges, including mounting and balancing of the tire. A tire has delivered its original usable tread and is considered 100% worn when the treadwear indicators (2/32" tread remaining) become visible regardless of age or mileage. Run Flat tires have the same mileage warranty as the standard tire line they are part of, up to a maximum of 30,000 miles.