R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New toys and first upgrades to my R53 JCW but advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 PM
sabjcw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New toys and first upgrades to my R53 JCW but advice needed...

So I just picked up my 04 JCW about a month ago. Took care of some basic maintenance and required repairs after the PPI was done and now just purchased my first upgrades.

This week I received my Bilstein PSS10 coil overs and a set of Enkei RPF1's in 15x8 ET28 with Dunlop Direzza DZ102's in 205/50/15. Definitely excited to make these changes since the car is running on stock, worn, suspension and 17" run flats. Should be a nice upgrade.

I'm curious as to what else I should be looking to upgrade/replace when I have the suspension and wheels and tires off the vehicle. I know new strut mounts are a given, but is there anything other than stock replacements for that? Any other bushings, bearings, mounts, etc that should be done at the same time since it's apart? I've looked at camber plates but haven't made a decision on what to get so any recommendations would be appreciated. This is totally a street driven car, at least for now What would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
You will for sure want some powerflex front control arm bushings as they wear out every 40k.

For strut mounts it is ideal to do camber plates since you will have them off already.

Then in the rear it is easy to install a new hsport comp rear sway bar as you normally remove the struts to install it anyway.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM
sabjcw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
You will for sure want some powerflex front control arm bushings as they wear out every 40k.

For strut mounts it is ideal to do camber plates since you will have them off already.

Then in the rear it is easy to install a new hsport comp rear sway bar as you normally remove the struts to install it anyway.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Totally appreciate that! So, I just replaced the control arm bushings with stock ones, so probably won't be doing that right away.

However, I really do want to do camber plates. I have zero experience with camber plates. Any real advantage of Eibach, or any other brand? I have no problem spending the money on something that is going to last longer, and generally just be better made.

And I had almost forgotten about rear sway bar. I know most folks do them on their Mini's, and I ran them on all of my VW's. So, with the PSS10's, RPF1's, and camber plates, would a rear sway still be appreciated for street use?

Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The Vorshlags are the best camber plates and are built to order, the eibachs are just a little more affordable but a single bearing design.

Yes the rear sway bar is the biggest improvement you can do on the suspension even if its just a street car.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice list of upgrades that you've got going already! Yes, a rear sway bar would be a nice compliment. Next time you are replacing worn bushings, definitely look into upgrade with Powerflex as they prolonged tire life, improve performance, better handling and they are more cost-effective than OEM bushings. If you're looking to do camber plates, maybe even look into some Hotchkis adjustable rear control arms. Not necessarily a must, but really do make a difference and allow for a much more dialed in alignment. Otherwise, take a stroll around our suspension parts in our catalog here for some other great upgrades for now or the future. Be sure to post some pictures once you get everything installed!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST