Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

So what if it's cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what if it's cheap?

So can someone tell me the issue with cheap wheels? Is the integrity of the structure an issue with cheaper wheels? I found a cheap set of black wheels on ebay from a "wholeseller" but it seems TOO cheap. $200 for a set of 4 rims(add $155 for flat rate shipping).

However, I don't wanna go dirt cheap and later find myself with broken wheels. 0.o So wheel gurus, tell me what the problem is with cheap wheels.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The one most people will notice is the finish. There is just no denying that the finish of cheaper wheels is both weaker and less attractive visually. They often come with a VERY thin layer of paint that is prone to chipping. My first wheels (before I knew anything about wheels) was a set of flik's. They were a really low price so I thought I should definitely buy them. After a year of moderate driving the paint was already chipping, and after half a year more the clearcoat was spidering (and I wash my wheels regularly with no chemicals).

Strength will also be an issue. Cheaper wheels are often more likely to bend and in some cases break. Some cheap wheel advocates will make the argument that even HRE's (an example of extremely expensive wheels) break. That's entirely true, in extreme enough situations, all wheels will break. It's just that it's far more likely on wheels that have not been properly produced.

With wheels the philosophy that "you get what you pay for" is entirely true.Just think to yourself. The $155 is a legitimate shipping rate so it's not them just tacking on an added cost to trick you on ebay. So you're looking at $50 per wheel. We have to assume the seller is atleast making SOME profit so let's assume his cost is $30 or $35 a wheel. That almost scares me to think what corners were cut to get the price that low. The cost of metal materials alone should have the wheels costing more than that to produce (even if it is a wholeseller) not to mention paint, clearcoat, machine time, labor, etc.

You drive a nice car, I think it's worth a bit of patience to save up your money a while longer and just buy quality wheels. $50 wheel are a downgrade from OEM wheels in quality. You'll be much happier if you save up for a few more months and buy some nicer wheels. They'll look better and will probably hold up better in the long run. "Buy nice or pay twice". The last thing you would want is to have your ebay wheels all chipped and bent so that you're out $200 and in need of new wheels already.

And besides, cheap wheels look ugly

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Rally: I am looking for some all black wheels without the red lip around it(like the ones tirerack carry). I'm having a hard time finding any that fits the description.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

At the same time, $200 a wheel is my ceiling(with quality tires, the set will cost about $1200-that's not including the $200 TPMS sensors). What's the estimated cost per wheel for a good quality set?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Is there a design that you're looking for beyond being all black? 5 spoke, mesh, etc? What size? 17"?

There are lots out there and finding an all black wheel should be pretty easy. Estimated cost per quality wheel is pretty hard to say because the range is massive, but it should be pretty simple to find some good/decent quality wheels under your $200/wheel bargain. $50 per wheel just scares me though

Old 01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
It'd be nice to have the webbed spokes ala JCW wheels but I know those will be above the $200 each. But yea you pretty much summed it up on the design part.

And where about are you looking for wheels? I've only checked locally and on tirerack.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Mr fleaBay tire wholesaler is sticking it folks with that shipping quote. A pretty common thing on fleaBay. I've shipped wheels with tires mounted for $100.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 AM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
(with quality tires, the set will cost about $1200-that's not including the $200 TPMS sensors).
You do know that you don't need the TPMS sensors, right? The MINI's TPM works off of the ABS system, by monitoring rotational speed of the wheel.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
You don't NEED it but I don't like the light glaring at me. And I'm not gonna put a black tape over it. If there's a way to switch it off, then I won't care but there isn't(not to my knowledge anyways)

Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

And where about are you looking for wheels? I've only checked locally and on tirerack.
There are literally hundreds of wheel manufacturers. Tire Rack is really only the tip of the iceberg. Just looking around on google you'll find some other well known wheel dealers. Check out Konig wheels and see if they have anything that fits your personal taste. They are pretty low prices but their finish is much better than the stuff you find on ebay.

Check here. I saw a few all black wheels while I quickly browsed through that might suit your interest. http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....gory.799949/.f

you can usually pick up konig wheels locally or find them cheap at some wholesellers.

I think Mr fleaBay tire wholesaler is sticking it folks with that shipping quote. A pretty common thing on fleaBay. I've shipped wheels with tires mounted for $100.
You're probably right. I've paid anywhere from 75- 180 to have wheels shipped from/to various parts of the country. He may have tacked on some extra dollars, but the wheels are still too cheap to feel comfortable.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
You're probably right. I've paid anywhere from 75- 180 to have wheels shipped from/to various parts of the country. He may have tacked on some extra dollars, but the wheels are still too cheap to feel comfortable.
This saying comes to mind.... Cheap & worth every penny.

Caveat emptor...

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
You don't NEED it but I don't like the light glaring at me. And I'm not gonna put a black tape over it. If there's a way to switch it off, then I won't care but there isn't(not to my knowledge anyways)
did MINI add sensors to the 2nd gen?? I know on the 1st gen the light only comes on if the ABS system scenes a change in wheel speed from one wheel to the other suggesting one tire is low on air. if it does have the sensors I know at least with Chrysler you can get the dealer to turn it off! (did that on my 300C)

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I believe it's now federal law to include the ability of TPMS sensors and wheels equipped with them for any new vehicle sold after 2008.