Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs

Just installed TSW springs on my 2010 R56 yesterday. And while I haven't got the advertised 3/4" drop in the rear and 1" in the front, I'm still pretty pleased with how it looks and rides. Initial installation netted me about 1/2" drop in the rear and about 3/4" in the front, so far.

Here's my question for those of you out there with TSWs on OEM struts...when sitting static with all the car weight on the ground, do any of you have some touching of the bottom most coil wind to the second wind from the bottom on the front springs? Not talking about having it lifted on a jack where you can see the whole coil spring, I'm talking about looking at the spring through the wheel gap while the car is on the ground. I've attached a couple of pics at the bottom to show you what I mean.

If one or two of you out there can tell me yours is the same way, then I'm fine with it and won't worry about it. But I find the resting point of the bottom of the spring kinda strange.

The car and suspension itself seems to be just fine. I have no squeaking or rubbing noises, seems to handle just fine, and the ride is great. But I want to know if this coil wind situation is the same with some of you, or do I have a problem that needs to be addressed. Rears seem just fine, it's the fronts that do this, and it's the same both left and right side, same spot on both.

So...would someone out there with this setup do me a favor and look inside your wheel gaps, and tell me if your springs are sitting pretty much the same as mine. I know I got them installed exactly how they should be, that was something I double and triple checked in great detail before putting them back on. They are seated on the perch and hat just like they should be (just eliminating that suggestion).

Left side is the left picture, right side on the right...

Attached Thumbnails Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs-left-side.jpg   Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs-right-side.jpg  

Last edited by 10Zero; 08-24-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry I can't help you. I really want to get some TSW springs. can you post some pics up of your car with them in? i looked in your gallery but I couldn't really tell if you had them or not.
Thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
turtle, I'll get a good comparison pic taken tomorrow and post it up. I'm really impressed with the ride and stance, just hope the fact these coilsd touching is not an issue and acceptable for these springs. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues at all, no noises...squeaks...anything. So I do hope it's not an issue to be concerned about. And I'm hoping someone out here tells me there's are similar and ease my mind. And FWIW, I took a look at the coils of the struts on my 99 4Runner, and I find the bottom coil touching the second coil too, though in a bit different way. My current 4Runner struts are now over 5 years old and about 70,000 miles...and never suspected they were ever touching. I wrote to Way at WMW about it too, yet to hear back though.

But for now, here's a quick pic I took with my Droid the day after surgery, with about 20 miles on them. It doesn't show it well, but a little bit. I'll get a side shot tomorrow and post it up. Here's the link, post #4039

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...today-101.html

Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
thanks, that sits nice. I think i have seen the springs touching like that in other cars.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
I think i have seen the springs touching like that in other cars.
Good to know...Way tells me they should be just fine. Don't know it they'll drop any more with some more settling, but here's a side shot for you. Sitting on 215/50-16s on Konig 16x7 wheels, et40.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
that looks good thanks, lower than i was expecting too which is nice.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Jack$0n
4th Gear
YES! My JCW looks the same... didn't realize it til you made me look. But as you stated I have no issues.

But again to confirm... my springs have the same issue/look.

Jackson

Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jack$0n
YES! My JCW looks the same... didn't realize it til you made me look. But as you stated I have no issues.

But again to confirm... my springs have the same issue/look.

Jackson
Thanks buddy! Just wanted to hear I wasn't alone. I've got a couple hundred miles on them now, and seem to be perfectly fine. I did get a reply from Way too on this, and he even told me it was ok. So I'm not gonna worry, I haven't heard a single pop or chatter since I put them on, except for a couple little tiny ones the first mile or two I drove it.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
So you are riding on TSW springs and stock shocks? Can you be more detailed in ride comfort and handling difference? Normal cruising vs bad roads, daily driving vs aggressive driving, etc?

Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Jack$0n
4th Gear
For me, the ride seems similar to stock. Really don't notice much of a difference. The look is the main difference. Lower, more level.

I might be a bad person to ask. I only drove on stock for 500 miles or so. But I did have a MCS stock for a year. Although it is hard to compare a MCS stock to a JCW with TSW; because the MCS stock and JCW stock are completely different in my opinion.

Sorry I'm not much help.

I did notice a big difference with the rear sway bar though.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Jack$0n
4th Gear
It does take a few weeks for the tsw springs to settle in .... FYI.

Also you are going to need to get an alignment.... and it would be wise to get the adjustable rear links needed to adjust the alignment in the rear.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:20 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OKCdancer
So you are riding on TSW springs and stock shocks? Can you be more detailed in ride comfort and handling difference? Normal cruising vs bad roads, daily driving vs aggressive driving, etc?
TSW springs on OEM struts, yes. Ride is about the same as stock, though it does recover much more quickly from bumps (not as much bounce). Not an aggressive driver, so I can't comment there, but it does corner much better. Feels much more planted, and erased some body roll in the corners. Overall, a good improvement over the stock ride, plus got rid of some of the wheel gap.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jack$0n
It does take a few weeks for the tsw springs to settle in .... FYI.

Also you are going to need to get an alignment.... and it would be wise to get the adjustable rear links needed to adjust the alignment in the rear.
She'll still continue to settle a bit I'm sure...which is fine. Hopefully the front will get to the 1 inch mark, but I have my doubts. Last measurement check was 3/4" rear, and 13/16" front.

Alignment done, that's what I've been talking about over in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html. I'm happy now, they got the alignment where I wanted it, after some bad initial readings (I believe). As for control arms, don't think I need them at this point. There's a little wiggle room in the stock adjusters, and I had just enough to get them where I wanted them. But I'm fresh out of any more adjustment. If I want to take out any more camber (to the positive), then I'll need some arms.

Pictures below are my rear camber at -1.4.

Attached Thumbnails Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs-dscn0049.jpg   Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs-dscn0051.jpg   Question for R56 Owners with TSW Springs-dscn0052.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 10Zero
TSW springs on OEM struts, yes. Ride is about the same as stock, though it does recover much more quickly from bumps (not as much bounce). Not an aggressive driver, so I can't comment there, but it does corner much better. Feels much more planted, and erased some body roll in the corners. Overall, a good improvement over the stock ride, plus got rid of some of the wheel gap.

Thanks for the feedback. I will wait to get my new Mini and then decide which route I want to go. But I am leaning towards the TSW springs with Bildteins or Koni yellows.