Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hydraulic motor mount leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how much the oem piece is, but $199 seems a bit too dear for this guy.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chuck, I hear what you are saying. But since we are keeping production in the States and we are using a lot of material in the mount it's not priced that high. If we take production to China we might be able to save all of us a few bucks, but we have learned the hard way that saving money there costs us more here and the "savings" melt away. Take a look at most of the other poly/rubber parts for our MINI's and they add up fast for small parts. This is a beefy part.

The OEM mount can be had for under $100 at many dealers and on line and for the DYI it might be worth replacing that part twice, but if you need to replace it 3 times you are now paying more for much less not counting your time. If a customer is paying a tech to install the OEM part (not under warranty) it will cost them more in labor and the OEM part with just one mount. It's only a matter of time before the TSW part becomes a better deal for a MINI owner wishing to keep that MINI on the road for more then 50K miles.

I assure you TSW keeps prices as low as they can and I'm the one shipping them for FREE at this time.
http://www.autoxcooper.com/tsw_engin...tml#motormount

Last edited by AutoXCooper.com; 06-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've probably spent more than that in labor hours trying to get the #@$%! fluid from the last failure cleaned off the frame rail...and it's still not right.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Dustin...whats my cut for using my images without asking on your website?

See the originals and find out more about this mount from the source. Even trade posts with the person that designed it here...

Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
I assure you TSW keeps prices as low as they can and I'm the one shipping them for FREE at this time.
http://www.autoxcooper.com/tsw_engin...tml#motormount
I see by your link that you one again stole someone elses pics as you have done in the past with no credit to whom they belong to. When are you going to stop being so shady?

Edit: ah in the interim as I was working in the shop Nate responded... sorry to be redundant.

Last edited by Tüls; 06-19-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
While I would love to reply to post 104 and 105 I have been "encouraged" by Internet Brands not to do so.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
txwerks
Banned
Just a few comments from the TSW perspective...

First, I want to defend Dustin to a degree - it is a fact that Dustin is far and away our #1 dealer, to the tune of at least 2x in sales versus our next closest dealer. He spends time marketing the products he carries, dealing with his customers, and moves a whole lot of merchandise for us and other vendors. Additionally, he makes good suggestions on the product development lifecycle, as he definitely has a pulse on the MINI market segment. He has oodles of customers, so he must be doing something right - what? Blasphemy!

Second, gnat did take the photographs for use as a pre-launch teaser, which he also sent to us for review... I do think that providing photo credits should be SOP (standard operating procedure) if you choose to use someone else's images, with their prior approval, of course. In this case, I highly doubt prior approval would even be a remote possibility, however. C'est la vie...

Finally, as a more general statement of the malaise infecting NAM as of late (IMHO) - I just don't understand why people can't get along and play nice in the forum sandbox. It's the reason I choose not to frequent NAM as often as I used to, along with other forums where there is a propensity to crucify people for what should be minor indiscretions. Instead of a collaborative place for people to share information about a common interest, it's a cesspool of witless banter and bickering. Shouldn't an email or PM to someone suffice to ask them to change a post/statement/credit, instead of lambasting them in a public forum just for the sake of airing your own personal squabble? The person receiving said email or PM should then take action and work out the issue. But, instead, some choose to air their personal distaste for each other in a public forum by way of jabs, rants and other drivel. There's a lot of crap on the Internet - a whole lot of it is in forums.

We all form our own opinions of people or businesses - some feel free to share them with the world on the Internet - repeatedly. I get tired of reading snide remarks, personally, nor do I want to... We're busy enough just trying to bring new products to the market, dealing with order fulfillment, and providing what we think is stellar customer service. We bust our butts day in, day out, dealing with our customers, vendors, and dealers (and the rare complaint, which we always make right). I don't have time to wade through petty personal quarrels and witless cajoling, nor do I care to, and as such I generally don't.

Just my $0.02. I won't be posting in this thread again... It would be nice if it got back on topic, perhaps, or just locked and sent to the archives.

And, if you care to take me to task for this statement and our manifesto, please feel free to call me, email me, or PM me. I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you in private.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
Just a few comments from the TSW perspective...

Second, gnat did take the photographs for use as a pre-launch teaser, which he also sent to us for review... I do think that providing photo credits should be SOP (standard operating procedure) if you choose to use someone else's images, with their prior approval, of course. In this case, I highly doubt prior approval would even be a remote possibility, however. C'est la vie...
Actually in return for a link to certain site in the photo credits I would have gladly let the images be used. There is a perverse beauty to this idea...

Old 06-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by txwerks

Finally, as a more general statement of the malaise infecting NAM as of late (IMHO) - I just don't understand why people can't get along and play nice in the forum sandbox. It's the reason I choose not to frequent NAM as often as I used to, along with other forums where there is a propensity to crucify people for what should be minor indiscretions. Instead of a collaborative place for people to share information about a common interest, it's a cesspool of witless banter and bickering. Shouldn't an email or PM to someone suffice to ask them to change a post/statement/credit, instead of lambasting them in a public forum just for the sake of airing your own personal squabble? The person receiving said email or PM should then take action and work out the issue. But, instead, some choose to air their personal distaste for each other in a public forum by way of jabs, rants and other drivel. There's a lot of crap on the Internet - a whole lot of it is in forums.
There is allot you may not know that goes on with certain people. These people are the bottom feeders of our forums and we would hope that they would get the idea and go away. Also that the public might have some light shed on the fact that these "vendors" and I use the term lightly are not worth the money they pay them.

Some of us out there actually do this for a living. It's how we survive. While others do it out of their home office with no over head while also working a full time job. Essentially creating a saturation of undercutting of those of us who do this full time and have a building and employees to support. We cannot afford to give as deep a discount cause we dont just drop ship everything from our computer room in our house. We actually have a JOB in this market, not just a hobby.

The Bottom feeders saturating the market are a prime example of why we have economic fail.

There are plenty of people who know the difference between us and them. But I have no problem shedding the light for those who dont know. Sure it can make me look bad, but I am not a sheep

Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate, Tüls, but would you feel the same way if AXC were a top dealer of your products?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:41 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Old 07-31-2009, 06:27 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
DIY engine mount ?

anybody have a how to on replacing an OEM upper engine mount? pictures would help--

Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Yes. i saw that and it really helped. i installed the mount this morning and the hardest part was getting the goo off. 1 1/2 hours including the goo time---

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Allen E Rayfield
Neutral
motor mount replacement

My 05 S just started leaking at 44,000 miles. Has anyone replaced the motor mount themselves? It appears to be easy to access.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Just be sure you get yourself a Torx E12 female socket. If you have access to a lift, you won't have to remove pass tire and wheel liner. Otherwise, put jackstand under the jack point on pass side and remove tire and wheel well liner. Using a floor jack with wood block, lift the engine half inch. Then you can remove the gooey mount. The underneath is attached with the E12 bolt. Good Luck and take your time---

Last edited by DAVESTER; 08-13-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSW mount is a good product - quality construction and reduces engine movement noticeably. I had two OEM mounts leak in less than 50K mi, so I would never buy another one. Two questions though. What did you all use to clean up the black goo? My frame rail looks terrible. Also, has anyone actually bought a new torx bolt, since this is technically a single use bolt? I re-used mine, torquing it slightly less than spec.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
i reused the bolt as well. as for cleaning, use ordinary rubbing alcohol and that will take the goo off. my MINI is pepper white and the stain could not be removed tho----

Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Allen E Rayfield
Neutral
Thanks for info davester. I changed the mount and now have an low RPM knocking noise that seems to be coming from the new mount.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I think there are a total of six or seven bolts that should be torqued to spec. One under and five, maybe six on top. You may need to jack up the motor a little to tighten all. Sounds like a loose connection point. You should not have any noise---

Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Hey Allen, there shouldn't be any "knocking" feel free to call me to talk about the install. Dustin 312-388-4263

Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by inimmini
The TSW mount is a good product - quality construction and reduces engine movement noticeably. I had two OEM mounts leak in less than 50K mi, so I would never buy another one. Two questions though. What did you all use to clean up the black goo? My frame rail looks terrible. Also, has anyone actually bought a new torx bolt, since this is technically a single use bolt? I re-used mine, torquing it slightly less than spec.

I asked the MINI dealer that specifically--they consider the TORX bolt reusable. May just be a cost cutting measure though; they didn't have any in stock when I asked for one.

I'd be interested in getting a new one and replacing my old one though if anyone knows a source.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
I can get the bolt, and you can too at any dealer for less than $10.00, but the old one is fine to use as long as it looks normal without any stretch marks or stress marks.

The bolt is designed to break away in a front impact crash to allow the motor to break away and fall under the car and not end up in your lap.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Allen E Rayfield
Neutral
I retorqued the nut on top of the mount and it sounds much better. I plan on rechecking all of the bolts after work today. Thanks for the tip

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
lou
2nd Gear
AutoXCooper

Ordered this mount on Monday and it arrived at my door step on Wednesday afternoon...will install it tonight I hope and give an update. TSW part is nicely done and will replace the leaking unit after 43,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic motor mount leak