Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Can't Unbolt Crankshaft Pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM
hothomir
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't Unbolt Crankshaft Pulley!

It's time for me to replace the crankshaft pulley in my r55 as its gotten rusty and more importantly it has just the slightest wobble on it. When I was reading online people made it sound easy when they said that you just unscrew the three torx screws and pop it off. I guess the crankshaft pulley has never been replaced on my r55 because I can't manage to unscrew it at all! Not only is the whole thing turning as I'm turning, but when I manage to have it stop I cannot get the screws to move at all.

Has anybody else run into this problem before? I just wanted to know if there's something that I'm missing or if I'm just gonna have to give it my all with getting the screws off.

Also, is there a better way to get the crankshaft pulley to stop rotating? I'm no mechanic by any means so I'm learning everything along the way hahah

Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
youtube has lots of videos on doing this.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
First of all, are you trying to change the pulley (center bolt) or the vibration damper (three torx bolts)? Take a look at this illustrated parts list to be sure which you want to change --- https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Then take look at these procedures --- https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select --- and find the one most appropriate for what you want to do.

Note the special tools required for the pulley, and the requirement to reset the timing, a major chore and NOT recommended for the novice mechanic.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM
hothomir
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
First of all, are you trying to change the pulley (center bolt) or the vibration damper (three torx bolts)? Take a look at this illustrated parts list to be sure which you want to change --- https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Then take look at these procedures --- https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select --- and find the one most appropriate for what you want to do.

Note the special tools required for the pulley, and the requirement to reset the timing, a major chore and NOT recommended for the novice mechanic.
Oh sorry I should've been clearer. I mean taking out just the vibration damper itself.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
No need to be sorry, I was wrong about the function of the damper. I was in a hurry this AM. My bad!

Damper bolts can be removed using the flywheel locking tool that's part of most timing tool kits. It's also possible to use the center bolt to hold the crank in place while torquing the three VB bolts, but not recommended. If the center bolt should loosen, you're at risk for blowing the entire engine. Definitely find some way to lock the flywheel.

The following users liked this post:
hothomir (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
For me there are few easy ways to do this, all of which work very well.

Method 1: use a strap style oil wrench and wrap it in the correct anti-torque direction. I've attached a link to an example here: https://www.grainger.com/product/52V...!502447222717!
This is the easiest and never had once failed. If you watch some youtube videos on how to remove the A/C clutch pulley on BMW's, you'll get a good idea.

Method 2: Obtain the key lock from the timing chain alignment tool, insert the key lock to the flywheel at TDC position, by then you'll easily be able to remove the dampner bolts.

Method 3: Special tool, I'd advise against this as the tool is quite expensive, and you won't seem to use it too often. Or you can try to fabricate one like many others have done.

The following users liked this post:
hothomir (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM
techman1
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
And, might I add loctite might be in use.
If it is that tight, you may need to use some heat before it breaks free.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:47 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
the torque spec on these bolts is less than 30Nm...