Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 06:47 AM
ArchSTL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?

I have a 2007 MCS and for a couple years I've had a leak through my rearview mirror. I've seen a number of other people complain about it so I know it isn't that unique...after a heavy rain I'll be driving and water will be dripping out of the bottom of the rear view mirror. It was never more than an annoyance until recently when the remote keyless entry stopped working. I don't have the easy-access key fob, so it's not easy to open up the fob and look at the rechargable battery. I did remove and open up the rearview mirror and found some corrosion on the electronic chip. I cleaned it off with a toothbrush and 70% isopropyl, plugged it back in, but it still doesn't work. (see attached before and after photos). So I have a few questions.
*If the chip is fried and I buy a new chip or a salvaged mirror and swap the chip, does the key need to be reprogrammed by Mini?
*Is there any way to tell if the battery in the fob is at fault without taking it to the Mini dealer and paying $80 just to find out?
*I checked the fuses for the lock icons, but are there other fuses I should be looking at as possible culprits?
*Has anyone ever actually found a solution for this waterfall out of the mirror issue? I've seen others complain that it's after a windshield is replaced...and mine was replaced a number of years ago so that may be it. But unsure how to stop it now.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?-20180707_073823.jpg   Rearview Mirror Remote Receiver Damage...or Fob Battery?-20180707_083024.jpg  
Old 07-08-2018, 05:05 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
With it being a 2007 the battery in the remote my have finally quit and that's what's causing the problem. The batteries don't last forever. If you would take it to the dealer they would probably order a new key first, a non-comfort access remote is around $170.00. If that doesn't fix it the next thing is the rearview mirror.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
If you haven't done any key fob problem searching yet, here is a link to a guy who works on them, you can PM the guy if you want...he may even show up here. Don't make the mistake so many others have in buying a replacement from ebay or somewhere else. These keys have to be coded to the car's VIN.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mini-keys.html

Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchSTL
I have a 2007 MCS and for a couple years I've had a leak through my rearview mirror. I've seen a number of other people complain about it so I know it isn't that unique...after a heavy rain I'll be driving and water will be dripping out of the bottom of the rear view mirror. It was never more than an annoyance until recently when the remote keyless entry stopped working. I don't have the easy-access key fob, so it's not easy to open up the fob and look at the rechargable battery. I did remove and open up the rearview mirror and found some corrosion on the electronic chip. I cleaned it off with a toothbrush and 70% isopropyl, plugged it back in, but it still doesn't work. (see attached before and after photos). So I have a few questions.
*If the chip is fried and I buy a new chip or a salvaged mirror and swap the chip, does the key need to be reprogrammed by Mini?
*Is there any way to tell if the battery in the fob is at fault without taking it to the Mini dealer and paying $80 just to find out?
*I checked the fuses for the lock icons, but are there other fuses I should be looking at as possible culprits?
*Has anyone ever actually found a solution for this waterfall out of the mirror issue? I've seen others complain that it's after a windshield is replaced...and mine was replaced a number of years ago so that may be it. But unsure how to stop it now.

rear view mirror is a plug and play.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Sleepy289
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2x regarding plug n play - no need to reprogram. Also, make sure that your driver's lock is in working order. My son discovered the hard way when the remote would not unlock the car (due to failed electronics in mirror) and could not unlock the door mechanically.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:52 PM
George Lee
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sleepy289
2x regarding plug n play - no need to reprogram. Also, make sure that your driver's lock is in working order. My son discovered the hard way when the remote would not unlock the car (due to failed electronics in mirror) and could not unlock the door mechanically.
Just wondering when this happens, can you still open the boot like keyless entry?

Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 AM
cream-bun
Neutral

The waterfall you mention is from the rear roof aerial - either under the bottom seal or down the aerial itself if anyway damaged.....the water actually travels to the front of the car, especially when on a gradient...!!

Old 11-05-2020, 04:35 AM
Tronix
1st Gear
Was it easy to open up the mirror? Is it glued because I don't see any screws on mine.

Last edited by Tronix; 11-05-2020 at 04:53 AM.