Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New muffler?

Okay, so I haven't posted on here in quite some time now. I've been student teaching and it's been completely consuming my life. However, after I got home from school today I did a little walk around my car (I stare at it a lot ) and I noticed that my muffler is starting to rust a bit. It's not exactly problematic at the current state but by the end of this crazy winter it may need replacing.

So here's my question: What do you experienced MINI owners suggest?

Being a senior college student student teaching I don't exactly have a lot of $$ to blow on a new exhaust at the moment (although I would LOVE to upgrade form stock) so is it possible to just get an aftermarket muffler to fit? I have an '05 r50 which from my understanding only the muffler isn't stainless.....meaning the rest of the exhaust should be fine.

I know you get what you pay for, but would something even like this link up nicely? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...ht_3947wt_1082

Thank you much and happy motoring!

Last edited by teamrubixcube; 03-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
rsvp9146
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a lot of variables here. Simply put, without addressing the diameter of the exhaust tubing going to the manifold, it will likely just make the car louder if you replace the muffler.

Exhausts need a certain amount of backpressure for the car to run correctly, and there is a sort of black art to exhaust fabrication. If you are concerned about rust damaging the muffler on there, you can remove the muffler, hit it with a wire wheel, patch up any holes (JB Weld works wonders on mufflers) and spray it with a good rust inhibitive paint. You can always buy a stainless steel tip to put on the stock muffler as well, or better yet, fabricate one of your own.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I would check around for local MINI clubs - odds are some enthusiast has replaced their OEM system and you could get the catback for a song.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Yes, you could just replace the muffler with an aftermarket one. Just find a good exhaust shop and talk to them about what you want.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
daewoni
2nd Gear
If you don't hear a very loud noise out of your muffler, you don't need to replace it even after this winter.
Mine rusted out but it was just an outer shell which covers the inner muffler safe. Last fall, outer shell came off completely and it still makes same noise as it did before and works completely OK.

If you don't like current one and really want to replace it, go ahead.
If you want to save your money, don't replace it.

My 2 cents.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
lotsie
Banned
I installed a Megan on my 03 justa about a year ago.

Old one was rusted out;

Hangers were also rusted, so I had it wired up before swapping for a few weeks;

New Megan installed. It's not a quiet exhaust. But I like it. Got mine from http://www.waymotorworks.com/

Mark

Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking muffler Mark.

It appears that what is rusting on the R50 mufflers is a heat shield. I've seen a couple that looked like yours Mark.

To the OP don't put that fart pipe on your MINI. Either find a takeoff stock exhaust or spring for a Megan.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Crashton
Nice looking muffler Mark.

It appears that what is rusting on the R50 mufflers is a heat shield. I've seen a couple that looked like yours Mark.

To the OP don't put that fart pipe on your MINI. Either find a takeoff stock exhaust or spring for a Megan.
Thanks. The install was not bad, except for a few rusted bolts on the mid-hanger. Snapped 2 off, rather then try and extract them, I just used self tapping screws right next to them.

The OEM muffler comes apart like an onion, in layers. As you can see, those hangers rusted right off.

The Megan was $380. Get the Way/DDM intake, and your Justa will roar

Mark

Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Noooooooo !

I agree, I wouldnt put this in

You may end up with unwanted issues. Get an exhaust specifically designed for your MINI. These cars are a bit more complicated than others who can use them.

And I would hate to see you incurr some huge repair bills later on for the sake of saving a few dollars now.

First thing I would do if $ was an issue - maybe look into finding an original exhaust that was take off by someone upgrading to an aftermarket one. You could post a want ad here in NAM Marketplace. Wayland, at Waymotorworks may even have one laying around.

Second option would be to purchase a JCW Sport Exhaust from a dealer.
I bet if you called Morristown MINI, you may get a good price there. They seem to have the lowest prices on OEM parts.

Sports tailpipeJ. COOPER WORKS118100399689$592.28

Nice thing about it is. If you plan on keeping your MINI for a long time, you can upgrade to other JCW parts to enhance the performance gains from these parts. Additionally, if you plan on selling your MINI someday, folks may not shy away from it due to you having installed weird name brands of upgraded parts, some of which are difficult to remove.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Thanks everyone! I'm going to leave it alone for the time being if it's just the heat shield and I already have a tentative long-term sub job for a lady on maternity leave for May into June. With a little $ from that I'd much rather spend money on a JCW exhaust or Megan than pay off student loans .

Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
lotsie
Banned
Keep a close watch though, if those top hangers rust off, like mine did, it will be dragging on the ground.

Mark

Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I have one for sale (cheap!) that came off my 02 R50. Only saw one winter, and then limited rain since then. I'd like it to go to a good home, and I'm not far from Northern CT. PM me or check the Marketplace. Ad was just placed yesterday.