Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

'04 MCS with extended warranty. Opinions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
ManikMini21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 MCS with extended warranty. Opinions Please.

Hey everyone i just have a quick question.

I recently bought an 04 MCS with 7500 miles and while at the dealership I also bought the extended warranty for another 5-6yrs/100,000 thousand miles. question is was it really worth it? Doesn't the factory warranty cover the car up to 50,000 miles? Does this mean im paying for a pointless warranty?

Also, i would like to buy aftermarket parts but the only one covered by my warranty/warranties i guess are JCW?

Would like to hear your ideas and experiences with warranties.

Thanx

Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
miminut
3rd Gear
Location: Half Moon Bay California, 25 miles south of SF on the coast
Hate to say this but extended warrenties do not cover JCW kits. There are a few threads on NAM that cover this issue

Old 05-15-2007, 06:24 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Thats a nice MINI and sounds like you found a jewel with that one with such low miles. Check out the peerage and happy Motoring!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory warranty is 4yrs/50000 miles. Hit either one of those milestones, and you're done. Check the in-service date on your MINI. You will hit 4 years way before the mileage comes up. If warranty is a major concern (and it should be, by my experience) then ya done good by getting the extended warranty.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the cost of the warranty.
Lets say it was $2000. (not sure, you didn't' indicate)

All you are doing is betting that you will have $2000 worth of problems somewhere after your factory 4yr/50k factory warranty expires.

Odds are good your 4 years is up next year some time. So you're going to be using the extended warranty very soon.

A few points with extended warranty.
A. Probably not true bumper to bumper. Check the details in the packet
B. Usually has a deductible. (something else to add to that $2000 expense
C. Once you start modding you may have issues getting repairs depending on how decent your shop is.

It's really up to you. I have an 04 with 29k on it and have passed on the extended warranty. I'll put the money somewhere else. (knock wood) :D

Old 05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
If the money is already spent, consider it money well spent. If you can't 'unbuy' the warranty, there's no sense looking backwards.
Enjoy the car and mod judiciously. Any mods have a risk of affecting the warranty, it really depends on the dealer. All depends how badly you have the mod bug. If you're ok with the power, then maybe a CAI and a rear sway - easy, cheap, and for the most part non threatening to the warranty.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 3cocinas
You will hit 4 years way before the mileage comes up..
ha ha, two years and 43,000 miles. I guess I like to autocross!?!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 AM
dwgates
1st Gear
The warranty is like insurance, you hope you never have to use it. I know that the problems that show up here are not the norm for these cars as people without problems are out enjoying their cars not posting but if you do have something come up they seem very expensive to deal with (I found out first hand last winter). Fun cars to drive and now you've got a little peace of mind. Keep your fingers crossed you picked up a reliable example and enjoy...

Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
ManikMini21
2nd Gear
Thanx a bunch for the replies guys.

I headed out to Mini universal city yesterday and they said my warranty expires next year and that my maintenance warranty expires next month. After the warranty expires they said the extended one will kick in. Oh and just to clarify my extended warranty is a bumper to bumper exclusionary with a deductible of about $100 so hopefully it will do me well when it is needed.

As for the mod bug, im only looking into an exhaust now and maybe an intake since they don't really bust into warranty issues unless god decides he wants to destroy my car. However i think he likes me seeing that he put me into an MCS!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Spydaz
1st Gear
I just bought a 2004 MCS Indie Blue w/ 15,000 miles from MINI of the Hamptons. Torr and the Gang over there are great to do business with!

Well anywho, MINI has just started a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) program. What is included in this program is a complete go through of everything down to the smallest item on the car and if MINI does not approve, well then it gets replaced with a new part no matter how small or large.

My tires were replaced (Front) becuase MINI did not pass them in the inspection (But NYS Inspection passed them!!) LOL. All fluids changed brakes, lights everything was went through. I must say i feel like a star the way they treated me there!

There MINI CPO program is supposed to mirror the BMW program from what i see i can they are.

In this CPO Program you also get a $50.00 deductable 2yr 50k Mile B-B warranty on top of your 4yr 50k miles factory warranty. so in essence i am reciving about 3yrs 2 months warranty on the car, somewhat like i was buying a new one.

It stinks that the dealer did not mention this to you (Would have saved you 2k for the extended warranty). The other MINI dealers on long Island NY were not honoring the CPO program yet and if i wanted it certified i would have to pay 1800.00 to do so. Mini of the hamptons offered it to me for free!

But anyone who is looking for a Pre-Owned MINI don't buy an extended warranty becuase the car should be CERTIFIED BY MINI!

I must say (I am a Boat/Yacht dealer on Long Island) that my Fiance' and I were treated with the up-most respect since the minute we walked in there.

I pick the MINI up tomorrow. Can't wait!!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Revolver1978
1st Gear
I bought a used '03 MCS and also purchased a B-B warranty. I'm sure it deosn't cover everything bumper to bumper, but oddly enough, of all things covered, are replacement clutches!
It's pretty typ. other than that, $100 dedeuctable, rental car coverage, roadside assitance, etc etc. They wanted to charge $2500 for it but we ended up around $1800. Since I only had 35 days left on the factory warranty I figure better safe than sorry.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Spydaz
I just bought a 2004 MCS Indie Blue w/ 15,000 miles from MINI of the Hamptons. Torr and the Gang over there are great to do business with!

Well anywho, MINI has just started a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) program. What is included in this program is a complete go through of everything down to the smallest item on the car and if MINI does not approve, well then it gets replaced with a new part no matter how small or large.

My tires were replaced (Front) becuase MINI did not pass them in the inspection (But NYS Inspection passed them!!) LOL. All fluids changed brakes, lights everything was went through. I must say i feel like a star the way they treated me there!

There MINI CPO program is supposed to mirror the BMW program from what i see i can they are.

In this CPO Program you also get a $50.00 deductable 2yr 50k Mile B-B warranty on top of your 4yr 50k miles factory warranty. so in essence i am reciving about 3yrs 2 months warranty on the car, somewhat like i was buying a new one.

It stinks that the dealer did not mention this to you (Would have saved you 2k for the extended warranty). The other MINI dealers on long Island NY were not honoring the CPO program yet and if i wanted it certified i would have to pay 1800.00 to do so. Mini of the hamptons offered it to me for free!

But anyone who is looking for a Pre-Owned MINI don't buy an extended warranty becuase the car should be CERTIFIED BY MINI!

I must say (I am a Boat/Yacht dealer on Long Island) that my Fiance' and I were treated with the up-most respect since the minute we walked in there.

I pick the MINI up tomorrow. Can't wait!!
Dealers are only putting cars into the program when they get ones that are worth it for them. It's unrealistic to expect dealers to do it on every car as it is, from my understanding, an expensive undertaking for them. Glad you found one but people shouldn't expect it to be the norm.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Smokin_Joe
1st Gear
we just picked up an '04 MCS & I'll be taking it in for window problems, misc. noise under right rear, and random "stumbleness" in the engine while idling...along w/ POWERSTEERING whine (which will soon go out according to my research)...

I say it's worth it IMHO!
Joe