Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts Serving the Northern Bay Area, including Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino, and Lake Counties; and the greater Sacramento Valley. Visit our club site at www.redwoodempiremini.com

June 17-19 Redwoods, Avenue of the Giants Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:12 PM
zied
Coordinator :: Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June 17-19 Redwoods, Avenue of the Giants Run

Well it's all beginning to come together.

We will be leaving from Healdsburg on Friday morning, June 17th at 10am. We will head north to Cloverdale where we will cut over towards Booneville, Philo, Mendocino, and lunch at North Coast Brewing Tap Room and Grill in Fort Bragg. Stops on Saturday will include Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Philo, Mendocino Headlands State Park, Richardson Grove State Park, and ending the day in Garberville at about 4pm, where we will meet up with PDX MINI members out of Portland, Oregon for dinner and conversation.

Saturday morning we will join PDX MINI to visit the Chandelier Drive Through Tree at daybreak, have breakfast at Benbow Inn, drive the Avenue of the Giants, then stopping in historic Ferndale for lunch. After lunch we will drive through Eureka and Crescent City ending our day in Brookings, OR.

Sunday, our members will bid our new Oregon friends "good bye" and either drive back home (about 7-8 hours down hwy 101 or 8 hours down I-5 via Grants Pass) or plan on staying an additional night in Grants Pass. In case you don't know, there is no sales tax in Oregon, and in both Brookings and Grants Pass you can find Fred Meyers Department stores (like large, clean Targets, that carries just about everything imaginable). With the 4-day option, you would likely return home by early-mid afternoon Monday, depending on the time you leave Grants Pass.

It's time to sign up and commit to this run. It is in the summer so reservations may be difficult to obtain. I suggest making reservations immediately. Be sure to mention that you are with REME & PDX MINI.

PDX MINI will be staying at The Motel Garberville (707) 923-2422 on Friday night single $60, double $69 plus taxes.
and Wild Rivers Motorlodge in Brookings (541) 469-5361 on Saturday night, single $55, double $62 plus taxes.

Other motels in the areas can be found at http://Motelguide.com
see http://redwoodempiremini.com/calendar.htm for downloadable maps of our proposed run. Sign up at http://minicooper.meetup.com/2/events

Old 05-13-2005, 06:08 AM
zied
Time to make motel reservations

Its getting close to the tourist season in the Redwoods...
If you think you may be joining us on this run, you should make your hotel reservations ASAP to assure that you will have a place to sleep. You can always cancel them if you can't join us on the run.

We will be placing our reservations today. I will post whatever motels we will be staying at (in case the ones PDX MINI are staying at are fulll).

I hope we get a good showing for this event... we should have a lot of fun driving on roads not congested with traffic.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:17 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Zeid, I look forward to rendesvous with the REME gang on the Redwoods Run. That will be a lot of fun!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 PM
zied
Make motel reservations ASAP if you plan on joining us!

We now have 5-6 cars (10 people) from REME that will be joining PDX MINI on the June Redwood Run. We still have space available for those joining us from Northern California. If interested sign up and make motel reservations ASAP! For information or to sign up: http://minicooper.meetup.com/2/events

Old 06-01-2005, 04:45 PM
weavee g
Coordinator :: Sierra Nevada Mini Coopers Club Forum
just wanted to post that i am going with you. will meet u in Fort Bragg on friday. wanted to do a few things on my own before the group arrives. glenn

Old 06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
ShesHaulinS
Neutral
So sad to miss it

Wow, this run sounds great, though it sounds like a LOT of driving! You guys are going to have a lot of fun going to some of my favorite places. My husband (haulinS) and I would LOVE to join you with our "new" 2004 MCS (we pick it up tomorrow night), but have other events going on that weekend. I'll actually be driving up to Arcata that Friday morning and back to the Bay Area on Sunday afternoon. Maybe I'll see you guys somewhere on 101. Look out for a dark silver MCS with black roof and bonnet stripes. I'll honk if I see a gaggle of MINIs.

I saw you're planning to go through Eureka on Saturday. If you have time, stop in Arcata (~6 mi north of Eureka). Saturday is the Arcata Bay Oyster Festival. They have tons of great food, live music, and crafts. All of the best restaurants in the area come out to share their best oyster recipes. It's a blast. They even have an "oyster calling" competition for kids. Kind of like a pig calling competition. . . the kids just make up whatever they think would get an oyster to come. Wouldn't they be surprised if it worked! Here's a site with more info:

www.arcatamainstreet.com/oyster

Have fun and here's hoping none of us get stuck behind an RV or a logging truck through the fun twisty bits.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:10 AM
zied
thanks for the advice re: Arcata. Too bad you can't join us on the run. We will have a great time.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:05 AM
winechic
4th Gear
So sad, we can't make it. My grandparent 65th wedding aniversary party is that weekend and we are also horse sitting for some friends (you'd think they could just eat all the grass). Should be a fantastic trip, can't wait to hear all about it.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:38 AM
weavee g
Coordinator :: Sierra Nevada Mini Coopers Club Forum
Just found out i could also have Monday and Tuesday the 20th and 21st off,so i now can complete the Redwoods drive with all the group. Glenn

Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
zied
We had a great time.... not without a few problems; but still a great time. The weather was wet, but we had the oportunity to improve our wet driving, 4 wheeling driving skills.

PDX MINI was wonderful to include us. Their club is made up of many fun-loving MINI enthusiasts that could teach all of us about how to let our hair down and have a good time.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:52 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Mom, who lives in Grants Pass, wrote me this last weekend and said she saw about 10 MINIs headed out the 199 out of Grants Pass headed for the coast. She saw you!!