R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 JB+ and your roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
silvrevo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB+ and your roadster?

Have any of you guys put the simple JB+ tune on your roadsters?

I'm wondering just how close a S model would be power wise to a JCW.

I guess you can JB+ your JCW too just have it dialed back some.

I'm either leaning towards a used S model and mess with it,, or just do a JCW flavor and leave the car alone,,,,,,,,haha yea it is tuff to do.

Besides that LONGGGGGG thread made by Terry , I haven't seen much of any ecu tunes on this Roadster section.

Anyone care to share that would be great!

Thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You haven't seen much because there is really nothing different. Same engine and similar chassis.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've installed a coupe JB Modules on Roadsters and they worked just as well as on the hardtops. The engines and trans are all the same so it doesn't matter it will work just as well on both.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 AM
silvrevo
1st Gear
Okay,
Just wanted to see who has done it on the same platform im looking at,, the roadster.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by silvrevo
Okay,
Just wanted to see who has done it on the same platform im looking at,, the roadster.

Thanks
It'll give you almost as much as a JCW. For way less price. Platform is not important, engine type is important. You should do it :-)

Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I thought there were a few engine differences on a JCW engines other than just software tuned to 208? Am I wrong?
Isn't the transmission slightly different too?

And I'm not talking about the rest of the external components such as brakes, different exhaust, IC, etc...

Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 AM
whoneyc2
1st Gear
I personally installed this as well. Did make a good bit of difference. Some caution however, it can possibly throw an O2 fault and possibly go into 'limp mode'. As it did on mine. Did some more research and learned if you're running through the gears pretty hard and heat engine up a good bit, this can happen. Simple fix, pull it off and run it through the gears as close as you can to 5,000 rpm.

Also it's adjustable, so you can open it up and twist the **** back some if a fault is thrown right away.

I removed mine, just to get the fault out, and will probably keep it out until after MOTD. I don't wanna mess it up before I get there. Lol.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whoneyc2
I personally installed this as well. Did make a good bit of difference. Some caution however, it can possibly throw an O2 fault and possibly go into 'limp mode'. As it did on mine. Did some more research and learned if you're running through the gears pretty hard and heat engine up a good bit, this can happen. Simple fix, pull it off and run it through the gears as close as you can to 5,000 rpm.

Also it's adjustable, so you can open it up and twist the **** back some if a fault is thrown right away.

I removed mine, just to get the fault out, and will probably keep it out until after MOTD. I don't wanna mess it up before I get there. Lol.
What 'fault' did you get? Did you get a 'code' number. Are you sure it was the JB+? Just curious. thanks

Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
whoneyc2
1st Gear
In all honesty, I don't know what the code was. I took it to dealership and had them look at it, without thinking through what could be wrong. They came back saying it was an O2 sensor thing, saying it was getting too much air. Said the chip was the issue.

Whether they were right or not... I dunno. I'm going to give it another go here soon. My expertise in cars is currently limited to those with carburetors in them, not computers. I'm learning though.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Poderes1
2nd Gear
I had a 'fault' code on my N18 JCW as well. The check engine light wouldn't come off after I removed my JB+. Took it to the dealership and they said it was a software glitch. They fixed it and the check engine light was gone. Was wondering what would cause it as well

Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
whoneyc2
1st Gear
I've done quite a bit more digging around since my last post. It actually wasn't my JB+ that threw the fault. I had put an intercooler muffler delete pipe in my car and the top hose had come partially off under boost pressure. I noticed it, fixed it, and was able to replicate the O2 fault proving that was the issue. Since then, i put the factory one back on, re-installed the JB+ and have had zero issues.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whoneyc2
I've done quite a bit more digging around since my last post. It actually wasn't my JB+ that threw the fault. I had put an intercooler muffler delete pipe in my car and the top hose had come partially off under boost pressure. I noticed it, fixed it, and was able to replicate the O2 fault proving that was the issue. Since then, i put the factory one back on, re-installed the JB+ and have had zero issues.
Thanks for following up on your issue. Good to know it wasn't the juice box.....
Now enjoy the boost!