R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible top problems??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM
scottt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to the dealer to see both (2009) cars. One was not my 1st choice of color, but I played around with it a bit while the dealer was getting the keys for the one I wanted to test. I put down the top on car #1 and then put it up. Immediately a piece of plastic was sticking out of the drivers side C pillar area. Broken top #1.

Test drove the other one. Put the top down while driving, put the top up when I got back. Piece of plastic sticking out of exact same place as car #1. Broken top #2.

The piece that broke looks to be the exact same one shown in the 2nd pic on post 33.

I examined both cars before I touched them. There was a small gap between the top and the rest of the car in the C pillar area on the driver's side (exactly like the 1st pic on post 33, but only about an inch in length). So I don't know if they were broken before or after I touched them. No matter, it's a 100% failure rate nonetheless.

Both brand new cars.

Last edited by scottt; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BlueMiniac (03-20-2019)
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottt
I went to the dealer to see both (2009) cars. One was not my 1st choice of color, but I played around with it a bit while the dealer was getting the keys for the one I wanted to test. I put down the top on car #1 and then put it up. Immediately a piece of plastic was sticking out of the drivers side C pillar area. Broken top #1.

Test drove the other one. Put the top down while driving, put the top up when I got back. Piece of plastic sticking out of exact same place as car #1. Broken top #2.

The piece that broke looks to be the exact same one shown in the 2nd pic on post 33.

I examined both cars before I touched them. There was a small gap between the top and the rest of the car in the C pillar area on the driver's side (exactly like the 1st pic on post 33, but only about an inch in length). So I don't know if they were broken before or after I touched them. No matter, it's a 100% failure rate nonetheless.

Both brand new cars.

If they gapped when up the part was broken before you looked at them and the dealer did not repair it. Likely they did not recognize the problem. It would be good to pass the information to the dealer...

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM
scottt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreyWOF
If they gapped when up the part was broken before you looked at them and the dealer did not repair it. Likely they did not recognize the problem. It would be good to pass the information to the dealer...
Oh I did pass it on.....in the form of "See, I told you the '09's had problems"

Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
irishvixen77
Neutral
This was the best post to read (minus the Towson, MD dealership acting like turds). I just discovered the same problem that most of you have diagnosed, photographed & provided kit #s for - hopefully this will make my trip to the dealership fast and easy.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:14 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Just located the dreaded convertible top problem. Only on the drivers side for now. She is going into the shop on Wednesday for a fix.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have noticed that since my top was replaced, I am seeing water get through when ever I take the car into the carwash. Has this happened to anyone else? Eventhough that's a unique situation, not like rain, it's still something I didn't notice before. Now I have to dry the inside of the windows after leaving the carwash.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
MrMikey
Neutral
Same convertible top issue

I have the same issue on the passenger side of my '09 convertible; a broken plastic clip. I took mine in for a first time servicing and informed Morristown Mini (the dealer where I purchased) of the issues with the conv top and also of the annoyingly erratic trunk opening while I have been motoring. After I picked up my car this past Sat after hours I noticed that the conv top issue had not been fixed. They replaced the trunk grip and harness, but as for the conv top it was noted on the paperwork, "Compared vehicle with other vehicles of the same year. Conv sits the same as other vehicle." To say the least, I'm highly unsatisfied with the servicing as I feel as if the issue was completely glossed over and now have to drive all the way back to the dealer once again to have them replace the part. I'm considering taking it in to another dealer (possibly Princeton) to have them handle the issue. It's a shame that such cheap plastic parts were even used to begin with.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Go in with this information and pictures..
C-Pillar Reinforcements per "SIB" The part number of the kit
54BMZ04 repair C-pillar reinforcements per SIB

1 54-34-7-276-922 Repair kit for convertible
T:54999934

part number is in there somewhere..
the problem is not the way the top sits it is the gap in the side when up.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
MrMikey
Neutral
Thanks so much. Yeah, I took notes from your previous posts; very helpful. I just checked out your gallery images. I have the same color MINI, but I'm curious as to what that is in your back seat with the wind deflector (the checkerboards & what not)?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM
jeanstpierre
2nd Gear
just returned from the Mini dealer after they called me to come in for the repair on the cvt. top. Upon last visit for an oil change the service manager advised me that the part that holds the top on the passenger side was broken and that he would order the parts in as much as he has had to repair many '09 mcs cvts. and was out of the parts. they replaced the plastic parts on both sides with the new metal parts.
My dealer, Brian Harris Mini of Baton Rouge, has always taken the initiative to fix any problem and has never argued or tried to get out of fixing one. I had noticed this problem but did not mention it to them just to see if they would and they did. They do a "walk around" the Mini each time you bring it into detect problems.

The cvt. top issue is well known to Mini and they should fix it w/o argument.

If you suspect you have a problem just put your fingers between the cloth top and body. If you can slide your hand down between the top and body then that plastic part is broken.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
A while back, I wrote that my convertible top didn't need this fix yet. A few weeks ago, @ 16Kmiles/20months, the dealer installed this fix along with the car's first maintenance routine.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Patyacht
1st Gear
I've got a 2010 JCW and one day the top would not go up. It would move about 2 inches and stop. Dealer ended up replacing the entire wiring harness. They said the initial mounting of the factory harness was not very good and was causing the wiring harness mounting to loosen and eventually it gets pinched and breaks. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
checkerboard

Originally Posted by MrMikey
Thanks so much. Yeah, I took notes from your previous posts; very helpful. I just checked out your gallery images. I have the same color MINI, but I'm curious as to what that is in your back seat with the wind deflector (the checkerboards & what not)?
The checkerboard pattern is the bottom of the little pockets on the factory wind deflector. The factory wind deflector pocket idea is cute, but the zipper should have been on the forward edge of the pocket so it could be accessed from the pax compartment.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM
kdgattis
Neutral
Convertible top squeak

I had the dreaded plastic defect and then the factory fix to replace the brackets but now everytime I hit a bump or the frame flexes during acceleration, I have a squeaking rattle sound in the rear passenger side area. My theory is the tension is not properly adjusted thus creating a pulling on the fabric causing the noise.

Any comments or ideas?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kdgattis
I had the dreaded plastic defect and then the factory fix to replace the brackets but now everytime I hit a bump or the frame flexes during acceleration, I have a squeaking rattle sound in the rear passenger side area. My theory is the tension is not properly adjusted thus creating a pulling on the fabric causing the noise.

Any comments or ideas?
You seem to have the best idea. Our two cabrio's do not squeak or rattle with the repair in place. sorry that I can't give you a better suggestion.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Patyacht
1st Gear
We have a similar squeak (do not have the plastic issue for ours is a 2010) and our dealer thinks it's because we tinted the windows. Right! Goes in again tomorrow for it's 1st service and another look at the annoying squeak!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
catlvr2
Neutral
I have a 2010 that I bought new in June. Several days later, when trying to put the top up it stopped just short of closing all the way, leaving about a 2-inch gap. Dealer had to replace the sunroof cassette.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
kdgattis
Neutral
it's not the window tint and hopefully they will come to that conclusion. I have tinted windows and did not have a squeak/rattle until they started messing with the top due to the factory defect.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Patyacht
1st Gear
They are replacing a window control motor. Not sure of the exact name but we'll see if it fixes the rattle. Stay Tuned!!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Patyacht
1st Gear
Just picked up our JCW. They replaced the Right Rear Regulator which had and I quote: "excessive play causing glass to creak against front window rear upper edge." Initial impression is squeak/rattle gone but let me get a few miles to make that final determination.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Gary33031
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phillyMCS
Here are some pics from the insurance adjuster. After you guys look at these pics, please give me your thoughts!!!
I had the exact same problem on my 2009 R57. Dealership replaced the whole top. It looks like the failure of a $2.00 plastic piece sewn into the top. It can't be replaced without replacing entire top. I had a failure on both sides.

The following users liked this post:
BlueMiniac (03-20-2019)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Patyacht
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Patyacht
Just picked up our JCW. They replaced the Right Rear Regulator which had and I quote: "excessive play causing glass to creak against front window rear upper edge." Initial impression is squeak/rattle gone but let me get a few miles to make that final determination.
Well the squeak/rattle is back. If I put the back window down just a tad, not visibly open, and the front windows closed the squeak goes away. Any other ideas out there?

Also my back up picture did not work all day today. I've got built-in Nav and back-up sensors. The warning noise worked but the picture didn't. Is there an adjustment for that when you go into reverse?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Rocketman14
1st Gear
Well I just bought a 2010 Cabrio, and this post scares me! Does these problems happen to all of the Cabrio's, or just a select few?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Select few.
If the sun is out, run it down regardless. Heaters, heated seats, hats, coats and gloves complete the fun factor. Wind chill should be the only factor then to establish the fun limits. Sunscreen is always at hand. Drive it like you stole it.

Do keep it clean. Dirt and dust will cut the fabric eventually. Use a good treatment like RaggTopp or something like it.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Patyacht
1st Gear
Maybe this will fix some of the top noise issues: Technical Service Bulletin SI M51 03 09 Body Equipment May 2009. The link is to a word document addressing both open and close top noise issues.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-articles.doc

Quick Reply: R57 Convertible top problems??