R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible top problems??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Mike D.
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milton, is yours an early build "launch" car? Does it have hot chocolate lounge leather, xenon, etc.?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
zapprint
1st Gear
The dealer did say the tabs are now either metal or metal reinforced, so it does seem they have made an improvement.
It did squeak in the first week, but has settled in after I was going to take to the dealer. All seems well with the new top. If you have an early convertible, I would definitely keep an eye on both driver and passenger sides where you have seen in the different photos, as ours broke on both sides.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Fatworm
Neutral
11,000 miles on our 2007 Mini Cooper S Convertible: we needed a new seal recently (leaks air over 40mph above driver's side sun visor)...more annoying is that our closest dealer (Keeler Motors) does not stock such a basic part and would not make sure it was on hand even though I specifically stated that this was probably needed when I made the service appointment. 140 dull thruway miles on a day off, for nothing. And they want to know if the service lived up to our Minitastic Expectations??

Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the cracked plastic clip problem. My '09 was built May 08 '09. I have about 7,000 miles on the MINI and the plastic clip on the driver's side broke - just like the pictures posted elsewhere in this thread. Top was working fine but the fabric went slack. Everything is still water tight.

The dealer, Global Imports - Atlanta, provided a BMW 328 loaner and jumped on this immediately with no B.S. whatsoever. Top is to be here in a couple of days.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
they didn't replace the top but now have a fix that puts some kind of plates on the existing top. Had to take it back again to have it adjusted. They are to put the fix on both sides when it's in. Had it done a few months ago and no problems since. Of course the weather had not been real conducive to put the top down.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 PM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
I have a week 10 build, so far I have not experienced any failures as many of you have. My top goes through a full cycle (up and down) 3 to 4 times each day, maybe more on the weekends. I have to say other than the squeeking, I haven't had any problems.
Mine is a 7/09 build date, am i safe?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
The plastic clip on the driver's side broke. Dealer replaced my top.....twice....with only 8,000 miles on my MINI (5-08-09 build). Dealer ordered a new top and installed it. After they had it installed and were cleaning the car they noted optical distortion in the glass back window. Dealer called me, told me to keep the new BMW 328 loaner and ordered another new top.

When I got top back it looked like a nice installation - nicely centered etc. but there were some front-to-back wrinkles in the top above the driver's head just to the left of the antenna.

Dealer told me that we should give it a few days/weeks to sort itself out as it has been much colder than normal in Atlanta this year. I must admit I was skeptical. I took it by a fantastic independant top expert (Charles at Marietta Auto Trim in Marietta, GA [Atlanta Suburb]) and he confirmed that the dealer (Global) did a nice job and said we needed to give it 3-4 weeks. Felt somewhat better but still skeptical.

Well, they were right - it took about 4 weeks but the wrinkles are completely gone and the install looks perfect. Moral to the story: if you have some slight wrinkles in a new top they can take weeks to sort themself out - particularly in cold weather.

Global was very professional and handled it well. SA - Brandon was great to work with.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Well, even though on 9/22/2009 I reported no issues, a few weeks back I had my top replaced by my dealer for the famous rub marks that have been occuring on early 2009 builds.

I posted high res pics of those rub marks over here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...82-post20.html

The regional rep came to the same conclusion as me, these rub marks are not normal, so they agreed to replace the entire top with a new one. After it was completed, I was told that it's a $4000 MSRP Part, with around 4 to 6 hours of install which my dealer charges I believe around $165/hr, so an almost $5000 expense if done after the warranty period has ended.

BTW, I had around 271 hours on the top when they replaced it.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 AM
juliansorl
Banned
Great thread. Anyone with a convertible mini should read this thread through to end. I have an 09 jcw convertible and now I know what to look for.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Well, even though on 9/22/2009 I reported no issues, a few weeks back I had my top replaced by my dealer for the famous rub marks that have been occuring on early 2009 builds.

I posted high res pics of those rub marks over here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...82-post20.html

The regional rep came to the same conclusion as me, these rub marks are not normal, so they agreed to replace the entire top with a new one. After it was completed, I was told that it's a $4000 MSRP Part, with around 4 to 6 hours of install which my dealer charges I believe around $165/hr, so an almost $5000 expense if done after the warranty period has ended.

Wow! looked at your pics and no there is nothing normal about those marks. Look like moon craters. I'm glad they cooperated and replaced it before it rubbed a hole completely through the top.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
bqp
Neutral
I am glad I found this thread. Just notice that my 09 MCS has the same broken plastic piece on the driver side. I will take it to Mini of Sterling VA tomorrow. Don't know what they will do but hope they will not give me any troubles like phillyMCS got. I also notice that the plastic on the steering wheel center started scaling. Anyone have this problem?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 PM
bqp
Neutral
I am glad I found this thread. Just notice that my 09 MCS has the same broken plastic piece on the driver side. I will take it to Mini of Sterling VA tomorrow. Don't know what they will do but hope they will not give me any troubles like phillyMCS got. I also notice that the plastic on the steering wheel center started scaling. Anyone have this problem?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
Here is ia pic of my aribag logo delamination.....i took it to the dealer and they ordered a whole new airbag under warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Convertible top problems??-dscn0754.jpg  

Last edited by mickeyR57sparkling; 04-11-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mickeyR57sparkling
Here is ia pic of my aribag logo delamination.....i took it to the dealer and they ordered a whole new airbag under warranty.
That is a strange failure. Are the edges sharp or is the "chrome" plastic?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
the surface is smooth, but the chrome under the plastic is seperating, so it looks cracked underneath.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
mini6322
2nd Gear

zanary, this is excellent. Thank you for the thoroughness on this. I'm glad to see there is some precedent here that it is included in the warranty. Some of the stuff I was seeing earlier in this thread had me really worried about my first convertible purchase.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM
bqp
Neutral
Just got my car back from Mini of Sterling VA today. It took them more than a week to get the part to fix the broken plastic retainer for the canvas. The kit came with parts for both sides, and they replaced both. As for the plastic scaling on the steering wheel center where the airbag is, they replaced the whole airbag without questions. Also, they completed those campaigns for the computers. It was a pleasure dealing with the service manager. He called me frequently with status updates. Everything was finished under warranty. They also gave me a loaner car for the week. It was a justa with an automatic transmission.

Driving the automatic loaner is another story. I am not a hard-footer, but still feel the auto transmission is slow to response and down shifts too much. Driving it at slow speed in traffic is not very settled. I am glad I got a manual MCS.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 AM
juliansorl
Banned
I agree with you 100% about the automatics! If you aren't driving a manual you are really missing out on a wonderful Mini Experience.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Skyline09
Neutral
Same thing happened to me!!! I was just up at my MINI dealership (Prestige in Mahwah, NJ) for a routine service and then later that day I noticed the same problem with my top on the passenger side. Mine is also an early make MINI (Week 11 I believe). So, now I have to go back up there and hopefully have this resolved in a timely manner. I had so many porblems initally with this dealer that I'm dreading this upcoming experience!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Skyline09
Neutral
Correction- snap is on the driver's side NOT passenger's side.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM
chinarider
2nd Gear
Another wear spot to look out for: inside rear headliner.

Thought I'd post this here, rather than starting another thread. I just got back from the dealer after noticing premature wear/rub marks on the inside headliner of my soft top, about head-level on either side of the car. Dealer thought it was enough to replace under waranty. The part is under national backorder, so it's a pretty common thing/known issue. Anyway, good idea to check yours out when you have a chance.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM
jbpalladino
1st Gear
Originally Posted by phillyMCS
The reason why I'm asking is because I have a problem with mine and it's killing me. I bought a 2009 MCS Convertible last Saturday and discovered there is a problem with my top on Sunday. Called my salesman on Sunday and told him about it.

The dealer saw the car Tuesday and told me it was damaged by a third party, meaning "vandalized." My insurance company had an adjuster come out on Wednesday to look at it. They do not feel the same way. They feel it was a mechanical problem.

Now I'm stuck with a potential $4000 bill to fix my now 6 day old car. I feel totally screwed. The sales manager was very rude and arrogant at the dealer and just plainly told me it could never have happened on their lot. My salesman and financing manager have tried to be "nice," but I know they don't want to deal with the situation as well so they're playing the "I don't know what's going on" game. Now, I know it may have occurred on my clock, but in just a few hours of owning the car and considering where the was parked for the few hours? No way, I don't think so!!!

I will not name the dealership yet because the owner called me this morning and asked to speak with my claims adjuster about the problem. He wants to make right I'm hoping. I will post pics of my top if anyone would like to see it. I'm hoping this problem will get resolved quickly and painlessly, but...

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I have had tha same issue that you have pictures of with my car. They have replaced the top 4 times in the year I have owned it. As a matter of fact I am driving back right now beacause the weather stripping is coming off! I am fed up with my car. The dealership and salesman have told me there is a known problem with the 2009 tops and are trying to do a recall or class action suit. I just want to get out of my car at this point. I am so tired of spending a daytondrive there to drop off m car for repair. It's rediculous!!! If I can help you let me know!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
jbpalladino
1st Gear
Good luck. My top has been 4 times for the same problem. Now the weather strip is coming off. They are going to try and get me a different car I have had so many issues with the top... 11 repairs in less than a year! Insane! If not, then I am going for the lemon law. Hopefully your top will not give you any more issues. But its a known problem. They told me today they are recalling the tops?

Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
jbpalladino
1st Gear
The pictures you posted are just like my car. Same broken piece and in the exact same spot... Every time it breaks!

Quick Reply: R57 Convertible top problems??