North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r57-cabrio-talk-2009-187/)
-   -   R57 Convertible top problems?? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r57-cabrio-talk-2009/172303-convertible-top-problems.html)

phillyMCS 07-16-2009 04:31 PM

Convertible top problems??

I was wondering if anyone has had ANY issues with their convertible tops? Please respond freely. Thanks!!!

phillyMCS 07-17-2009 10:50 AM

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a problem with mine and it's killing me. I bought a 2009 MCS Convertible last Saturday and discovered there is a problem with my top on Sunday. Called my salesman on Sunday and told him about it.

The dealer saw the car Tuesday and told me it was damaged by a third party, meaning "vandalized." My insurance company had an adjuster come out on Wednesday to look at it. They do not feel the same way. They feel it was a mechanical problem.

Now I'm stuck with a potential $4000 bill to fix my now 6 day old car. I feel totally screwed. The sales manager was very rude and arrogant at the dealer and just plainly told me it could never have happened on their lot. My salesman and financing manager have tried to be "nice," but I know they don't want to deal with the situation as well so they're playing the "I don't know what's going on" game. Now, I know it may have occurred on my clock, but in just a few hours of owning the car and considering where the was parked for the few hours? No way, I don't think so!!!

I will not name the dealership yet because the owner called me this morning and asked to speak with my claims adjuster about the problem. He wants to make right I'm hoping. I will post pics of my top if anyone would like to see it. I'm hoping this problem will get resolved quickly and painlessly, but...

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

zanary 07-17-2009 12:24 PM

Can you describe the problem?

On NAM, only one other problem has been reported with the Cabrio top with the new R57s (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-top-down.html).

I have an occassional squeek from the passenger side near the rear window when I close my top at normal room temperature, but not enough to make it a annoying, but I'll have the dealer look at it next Friday when I take in my Mini to get the famous "Door Seal" replaced (it's a known issue with almost all R57s to date (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nger-side.html).

I might also be getting the JCW Brake Kit installed that Friday as well. :)

whorrace 07-17-2009 01:02 PM

I think my 3-week old top (built in June) may have some unnecessary wrinkles and a rub spot forming. There is also a slight squeaking noise on both driver and passenger sides when it is being closed, but it does not bother me much. I will post wrinkle pictures soon to get some opinions.

Good luck with your problems and keep us posted, Bill

zanary 07-17-2009 02:21 PM

Unwanted wrinkle... I see mine folding a bit weird as I put the top down, but I see this all the time, so I assume it's by design. It doesn't put any wrinkles in the top, and I don't have any rubbing so far.

Maybe we should note that type of top we have. Maybe there's a common issue with a certain type.

I've got the black top.

redZip 07-17-2009 02:53 PM

I haven't heard any squeaking yet - but sometimes there is a bit of rattle from the soft-top when the top is up. But I attributed that to the stiff suspension and really bad San Diego roads.....

Will keep an eye out for the fading.

CR&PW&JB 07-17-2009 03:21 PM

I call BS on the dealership. If there's no evidence of vandalism, where is their proof ?

The insurance company would cover it if there was any indication it was tampered with. But since they aren't, there is obviously no evidence meaning the dealership should cover it under warranty.

If they insist on making you pay for it, contact MINI USA and complain.

whorrace 07-19-2009 12:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple photos of my top wrinkles after 3 weeks. Is this normal? Suggestion removing them?

Thanks, Bill
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5/ppuser/67933

zanary 07-19-2009 12:45 PM

I've got those wrinkles as well, but only after the top has been down for an extended period of time (maybe 6 to 8 hours). If I have the top back up, those wrinkles usually work their way out.

I haven't been to concerned about those atleast on my top. I attribute those wrinkles becuase the top gets folded numerous times as the top is going down.

Now if those winkles results in fading lines like Stef has been experiencing, then I'll be at the dealership the next day.

whorrace 07-19-2009 02:35 PM

My top is almost always down (even in the garage), so I guess the wrinkles are inevitable.

CR&PW&JB 07-19-2009 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by whorrace (Post 2825218)
My top is almost always down (even in the garage), so I guess the wrinkles are inevitable.

Why would you leave your topo down in the garage ?

Besides the top getting wrinkled, you're likely to get some insects in your interior, and if the doors are opened for any length of time, your interior will get dusty and dirty.

I know they look a lot better with the top down :nod: :lol: but hey, put it down the second you roll it out of the garage.

zanary 07-19-2009 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB (Post 2825267)
Why would you leave your topo down in the garage ?

Besides the top getting wrinkled, you're likely to get some insects in your interior, and if the doors are opened for any length of time, your interior will get dusty and dirty.

I know they look a lot better with the top down :nod: :lol: but hey, put it down the second you roll it out of the garage.

In my case, my garage is completely done with a faux granite looking floor, cabinets, walls and ceiling sheetrock, lights, windows, window coverings, etc... So I hardly get any dust/dirt in it, and as for insects, I get the occasional fly or two but hardly anything that would force me to put the top up when I park the Mini in the garage. Now, when our rainy season arrives, the top will always be up, even in the garage. Living in San Francisco, we have two seasons, Rainy and Not Rainy :lol:. Here's a slightly old picture of my garage (pre Mini). Albeit not the most organized, but clean enough to keep the mini topless in the garage without worrying about getting it dirty. Plus, as you said it looks a lot better with the top down.
http://home.comcast.net/~zubinanary/garage.jpg

Originally Posted by zanary (Post 2825152)
I've got those wrinkles as well, but only after the top has been down for an extended period of time (maybe 6 to 8 hours). If I have the top back up, those wrinkles usually work their way out.

I haven't been to concerned about those atleast on my top. I attribute those wrinkles becuase the top gets folded numerous times as the top is going down.

Now if those winkles results in fading lines like Stef has been experiencing, then I'll be at the dealership the next day.

So, today I decided to put my top up, and see if I have those wrinkles. My top has been down since Tuesday, and sure in enough, I had the same wrinkles. I think they will mend themselves as the top goes back up.

CR&PW&JB 07-20-2009 02:39 AM

My garage is complete finished with sheetrock, too. But unless you live in a bubble, you're going to get some dust, pollen, and other junk in your garage. Hell, you get it in your house.

It's your MINI... if you want to park it with the top down, cool. Just expect to get those wrinkles in the top.

whorrace 07-20-2009 06:40 AM

Maybe I will start putting the top up in the garage. I actually throw a cover over the car when it is in the garage (after it cools), so dust and bugs are not a problem, but maybe proper top care dictates I put it up. Who knows?

We once owned an '77 MG Midget which reeked of cat pee from the day we bought it, so (in addition to dust and bugs) you can add cats to the list of top-down storage hazards.

phillyMCS 07-20-2009 07:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics from the insurance adjuster. After you guys look at these pics, please give me your thoughts!!!

phillyMCS 07-20-2009 08:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are three more...

dslucki 07-20-2009 09:29 AM

Not trying to nit-pick but you have a ")" in the link above which causes an error. The correct link should be https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nger-side.html :thumbsup:

CR&PW&JB 07-20-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by phillyMCS (Post 2825802)
Here are some pics from the insurance adjuster. After you guys look at these pics, please give me your thoughts!!!

That sure doesn't look like vandalism.

Looks more like wear and tear or part failure. MINI should suck it up and cover that problem for you.

stefspain 07-20-2009 11:36 AM

looks a weird spot to have vandalism !!! This is for me a self destroying top " Does not look like my rub spots ! See other topic !! Seems that the factory might have some issues !! They better stop production until they know what is going on !

miniola 07-20-2009 11:56 AM

Interesting... the "vandalism" took place from outside the car (I presume)... but the evil-do-er vandalizer was able to pry out this part and break it without leaving a single scratch on the trim.:sly: Hmmmmm... that's one talented vandalizer. If only they were all that careful.:roll: Why are so many dealers being such PITAs?:no:

zanary 07-20-2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by dslucki (Post 2825875)
Not trying to nit-pick but you have a ")" in the link above which causes an error. The correct link should be https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nger-side.html :thumbsup:

Good Catch. I updated my original message above. Thanks!

phillyMCS 07-20-2009 01:11 PM

I just got a call from my insurance adjuster, and she said she just spoke to the owner of my dealership. Apparently, he is still sure it was "third party," just like what the BMW/MINI field rep has said it to be. They do not want to take responsiblity nor does my insurance company because they think it was a mechanical defect.

Now I'm truly PISSED OFF. I refuse to pay $4000 to have this fixed when I just bought this car last Saturday (July 11th) and you guys all see the damage...

I will now name the dealership that is F**king me so hard!!! They are MINI OF TOWSON in Maryland (outside of Baltimore). The sales team of John Miller, Scott (financing mgr), and Brad Broman are on the same page to screw me. The owner, Lou Cohen, has all but told me, ""EAT IT!!!" I know they either knew about the problem, or they know it's a mechanical problem, but...

Well I need an attorney to take this to the next level, which I don't want to, but I have to. Please let me know of any good attorneys in this Baltimore area to help me out. Also, please advise me of what to do next with this problem.

MINI OF TOWSON IS NOT THE DEALERSHIP YOU WANT TO BUY YOUR NEXT MINI COOPER!!!!

CR&PW&JB 07-20-2009 01:36 PM

Wow... that's where I take my MINIs for service and have had nothing but good things to say about their service dept. Of course, I've never dealt with those names you mentioned.

I had wear marks on my top (2005 MCSC) and they were borderline within limits for replacing the top. The SA had a zone rep come out and they approved replacing it under warranty. Had another mechanical issue with the top, one side would not release, again covered under warranty at MoT.

Sorry you're having this issue but I can't believe the insurance co and MoT cannot agree that ONE of them has to cover the damage. Guess they're both being stubborn and appears to me the dealership is the one in the wrong here.

Gluhwein 07-20-2009 03:47 PM

Let them know you're getting an attorney. Doesn't MD state law protect you? I used to live in Gaithersburg and seem to remember the salesmen going on and on about consumer rights and your right to return the car within a certain amount of time; no questions asked. Of course, if they insist the damage is your fault, that's a bit of a sticky wicket. You might consider going over the dealership's head and to the regional home office. I'd appeal it all the way to MINI national headquarters in NJ.

bluemeanie357 07-20-2009 03:54 PM

Having had other convertibles that looks like faulty parts and they should replace the top. Contact MINI USA at once.
But just curious what happened? Did it go up noisily and then not open again?