R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible top problems??

Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bqp
They also gave me a loaner car for the week. It was a justa with an automatic transmission.

Driving the automatic loaner is another story. I am not a hard-footer, but still feel the auto transmission is slow to response and down shifts too much. Driving it at slow speed in traffic is not very settled. I am glad I got a manual MCS.
I would have to echo one of the other posters here, I'm very glad I found this thread! Since reading these posts a short while after getting Sarah Jane I was on the look out for problems with the convertible top. I didn't notice anything for a few weeks but then one morning I went out to the garage (say it like the british...ga rage!) and notice the rear wing window wasn't all the way up on the driver's side. I just thought that I had an attack of old age and forgot to roll it up. Fortunately when I took the wife out to breakfast I noticed that the same window was binding and not going all the way up after I put the top up. Being an investigative soul I put the top down and confirmed that the window worked fine, then raised it and observed the problem once more. After I got back home, I noticed a plastic tab peeking up from the rubber seal by the window and when I looked on the passenger's side I didn't see the same thing so I deduced something was wrong. I tucked the errant piece back into the seal and everything worked ok for several days and the problem once more occurred. I took the car into the dealer to have them look at it and they said it wouldn't be a problem to fix (apparently there is a kit) but while they were investigating the found that the A/C compressor had bitten the dust and had to order one from Germany! They have provided a courtsey car (MCS Convertible) but it is (you guessed it) an automatic. I really don't like the shift points and when I tried using sport mode the car kept fighting my gear choices! I've been without my SJ for 8 days now so I hope the get the part in soon so I can drive a REAL car!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to have the top repaired? I just found my top with the same issue and the dealership has ordered the repair kit. I was wondering if it's an all day affair or just a couple of hours? Plus: Does the repair kit fix all the gromets or one which is broken?
thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM
jbpalladino
1st Gear
Depends, but generally it takes a few days. They usually had my car for a week because I live 3 hours from the dealer, so I would have to drop it off and pick it up on my days off. Best of luck with your car. I am persuing the lemon law with mine unfortunately!

Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info. The dealership is an hour away for me and I was so frustarted yesterday with them. I called about the problem and wanted to know if they had the kit or give me loaner car. They told me no problem - they had the kit come down and get the car fixed. Well, after I got to the dealership it turned out they didn't have the kit and would not give me a loaner - my car is safe to drive. So 2 hours and 40 minutes of my day was gone - for nothing. Needless to say, asked the service guy how long would they need the car for repair and he thought only for a couple of hours. At least now I know that's not the case and to be prepaired to set an appointment with a loaner.

Ahhh the world of service department, sometimes I think NAM is more helpful then they are.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
bqp
Neutral
It took my dealer ten days to complete the repair and the computer update, but more than half of the time was for waiting for the kit. The kit fixed both sides. I asked the service manager to make sure they keep the car in the garage the whole time there to avoid the rain.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
pocolilli
Neutral
Faulty Cont. Tops...

I know it's a year later a perhaps no one will read this. I too experienced top failure. It's an 05 and at only 32K miles the top wouldn't latch onto the window. Long story short 2 dealerships later telling me to bad it's out of warranty, finally got someone to write to the VP of Mini the very next day I got a call and the fixed it...a "goodwill" effort...BS. Now I sit here only 6 months later with the same problem. This time however it's a little different. The sunroof is opening just the the entire top. It's convertible weather I'm so upset that I have to lose another summer without the top down. I live next to the Cherohala Skyway and close to the Dragons tail...I could cry.

If it's a minor problem I'm going to trade it in before another MINI problem comes up. I loved this car but now too worried about the problems it has.

Lily

Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
pocolilli
Neutral
J Palidino...just curious

Are you from Philly/NJ area?

Lily

Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pocolilli
I know it's a year later a perhaps no one will read this. I too experienced top failure. It's an 05 and at only 32K miles the top wouldn't latch onto the window. Long story short 2 dealerships later telling me to bad it's out of warranty, finally got someone to write to the VP of Mini the very next day I got a call and the fixed it...a "goodwill" effort...BS. Now I sit here only 6 months later with the same problem. This time however it's a little different. The sunroof is opening just the the entire top. It's convertible weather I'm so upset that I have to lose another summer without the top down. I live next to the Cherohala Skyway and close to the Dragons tail...I could cry.

If it's a minor problem I'm going to trade it in before another MINI problem comes up. I loved this car but now too worried about the problems it has.

Lily

Sorry to hear about your problem. I feel for you...it's tiring to play games with the dealership.

I need to post under the "usual wear" thread. So not only do I have a broken gromet, I have wear pattern that has worn the top and the weather stripping. Dealership told me it's normal wear - my husband is mad and called Mini. Waiting to have mini rep look at the top. I love the car so much I'll put up with it, but the fabric is starting to fray. It does helps to know the warranty covers the issues though I get a bit worried about the car beyond that point. I guess I'll be buying the extend warranty as I don't have thousand to put into potential top problems.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
Beware: Extended Warranty probably doesn't cover the top.

When I was at the MINI dealer last year (taking delivery of my new R57), they were selling a non-MINI warranty with several levels of coverage. You had to choose the most expensive level to cover the top electronics, there was no way to get coverage for the mechanicals or the fabric.

Let us know what you find out. Tops are very expensive.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
I finally got my MCS back last Thursday after they replaced the A/C compressor and the the top which surprised me since the dealer had said they were going to use a repair kit and not replace it. I tried to grill the Service Manager on whether this is a problem with the 2009 R57 (which is sort of the impression I get reading the threads here) or what the track record was with the tops but I couldn't get a good answer from him, of course this is the same person that told me they couldn't call me to tell me my car was ready because a fax machine kept answering (even though I had provided him emails and at least two alternate numbers). I guess the only thing to do is keep a close watch on the top and keep dragging it back in if I see anything going on.

Sorry for all of your problems though, it must really bite not being able to drop the top on the nice summer days.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM
kdgattis
Neutral
I have the same defect in my 2009 top. When I called my dealership, I was informed there is a Service Bulletin out on this. My service rep called today to say they are still looking for the parts to repair. It's very irritating.

Here's a follow from the Mini Dealer in Memphis. They are telling me that Mini USA will no longer replace the top because the top is not defective, just the plastic that attaches the top to the car. They said Mini is supposed to be coming out with a kit to repair but until then all they are offering is a temporary fix.

Can anyone clarify if the kit that is supposed to be the permanent fix is available and if so what dealership installed it.

Last edited by kdgattis; 07-15-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 AM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
Well it looks like im finally joining the ranks of 2009 Convertible top problems. The clip on the drivers side has split and im noticing rub marks on the top in the same place as everybody else...Let hope Jackie Cooper Mini in Oklahoma City is good to me. I assume this is something i will need a loaner for, being that the car can't sit outside and i dont have a second car.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 PM
bqp
Neutral
Originally Posted by kdgattis
I have the same defect in my 2009 top. When I called my dealership, I was informed there is a Service Bulletin out on this. My service rep called today to say they are still looking for the parts to repair. It's very irritating.

Here's a follow from the Mini Dealer in Memphis. They are telling me that Mini USA will no longer replace the top because the top is not defective, just the plastic that attaches the top to the car. They said Mini is supposed to be coming out with a kit to repair but until then all they are offering is a temporary fix.

Can anyone clarify if the kit that is supposed to be the permanent fix is available and if so what dealership installed it.
My dealer fixed my car with the kit which has metal grommets for both sides a few months ago. I don't think there are temporary solutions. That was why my dealer kept my car a long time waiting for the kit.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 AM
mickeyR57sparkling
2nd Gear
Well ofcourse when i got to my dealer in Oklahoma City, they didnt have any loaners available so the Tech refitted the broken piece with instructions for me not to put the top down till they get the "Retrofit Parts in...who knows how long it will take to get the parts.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
NotPortlyNJ
2nd Gear
I too just experienced that problem on the passenger side. The technician said they just got a service bulletin today about new parts to use for repair, and I can pick my Lizzie up tomorrow.

All in all though Prestige Mini in Mahwah NJ hasn't given me a runaround over this. I called last Thursday morning when I noticed the top separated from the body, drove up there (about 40 minutes), had a loaner car and was on my way, but they couldn't fix it that day. Fortunately no rain since then. I went back up today, got a loaner (a clubman with an automatic -- even on the S I don't like the way the auto shifts), and she should be ready tomorrow. Getting brakes done as well -- under standard maintenance.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:41 AM
TRL
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not followed this thread for a long time. I had my original Top replaced back last September I believe when the car was one month old. Well it happened a gain. This time the separation from the side was on the drivers side and not nearly as bad. I caught it early and took it in because I had heard there is now a fix other than complete replacement.

I was shocked when at the end of the day they called and told me to bring back the loner as they had a the BMW rep look at it in the shop and he told them the "repair kit" is not available yet so they ordered a new top. First time they made me leave the car there as they were worried about water entering the body. This time they said just drive it until we call you. Been over a week now and I am sitting by the phone. My car is one year old this week (build date April 09) and will now have it's third top. The day this thing is out of warranty (it now has 19,000 miles on it, so that's next fall most likely) it up for sale. This third top is obviously of no better design than the first and I am not paying for the fourth.

At that time if they have fixed the myriad of ergonomics problems inside the car I might even consider a Mini again.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 AM
howie289
2nd Gear
Very sorry to hear about all these top problems, I know it is inconvenient and disappointing. I just want to add some balance to the discussion (at the risk of tempting fate).

I have an early R57 (delivered at the end of March 2009, 13k miles) with no top problems to date. I can see some indentations in the fabric when I put the top up but I see no actual fraying or rubber molding damage.

The top is a complex (and very clever) mechanism. Adjusting the top requires different skills and expertise than any other repair procedures. I believe that many techs just don't know how to properly adjust the top. Hopefully the techs will learn to properly fix these top problems.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
What's the sense of how common this problem is? Is it as common in the 2010 model year cars?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM
franklinminty
2nd Gear
I have what "might" be considered the rubbing/wear and start of fraying on the fabric, and was going to mention it when I'm in for my first check up.

But I also may just be paranoid...

Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't be shy, take a picture of the roof and post it. It helps to get a second opinion.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And brakes too?

Originally Posted by NotPortlyNJ
I too just experienced that problem on the passenger side. The technician said they just got a service bulletin today about new parts to use for repair, and I can pick my Lizzie up tomorrow.

All in all though Prestige Mini in Mahwah NJ ... ...Getting brakes done as well -- under standard maintenance.
hi NPNJ, how many miles did you have total when you got the brakes done for free? I have 14,000 already with a little squeal sound when initially braking.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
I just came back from MTTS and saw an odd piece of top sticking out the side. I had the same plastic piece break.. It is bad engineering for a part that is exercised everytime the top goes up or down.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
franklinminty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Derepente
Don't be shy, take a picture of the roof and post it. It helps to get a second opinion.
Finally had a chance to take these...

Anyone care to give a prognosis? Note - both wear patterns are symmetrical on the car.

The 1st is roughly by the door edge on each side, the 2nd is on each side on the rear of the car

Attached Thumbnails Convertible top problems??-20100821-img_0632.jpg   Convertible top problems??-20100821-img_0633.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 AM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by franklinminty

Anyone care to give a prognosis? Note - both wear patterns are symmetrical on the car.

The 1st is roughly by the door edge on each side, the 2nd is on each side on the rear of the car

This is the same problem I have. Mini USA and the dealership have indicated that this is a "normal" wear pattern for 2009 tops. Thus no one will take responsibility to correct the issue. I don't think its normal. If the wear gets worse my husband is going to be more aggressive to have the issue addressed.

I love the car so much I'll put up with it, but if the top needs replacing...there is no way I can afford to fix it.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 AM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by franklinminty

Check this thread out...this is where I posted. Might be of help.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...op-down-2.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R57 Convertible top problems??