R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible top problems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Gary33031
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you mean "you settled"? Did they fix your problem?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan

Mat, one cool trick I learned from a couple of people here is that you can reduce the wind turbulence when in sunroof mode by opening the back windows. I tried it and it reduced the wind buffeting by about 75 to 80%. It really makes a huge difference.
That's an interesting trick, never would have thought of that! I'll give that a try next time I decide to use the sunroof rather than go fully topless.

Yeah, I know the car looks a little odd with the top half open and the rear windows down but personally, I don't care. I'm willing to look a little strange for the sake of a more comfortable ride.
A little odd!?! that's an understatement! I think that SJ is down right ugly when I use the sunroof. I did drive her down to FL and back last week and ended up with one heck of a sunburn! I guess I should throw some sunscreen in the glovebox for the next time I make a longer than usual topless run.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
nstructor
Neutral
Today, as my top was coming up, and then closed fully, I noticed the 2 plastic ends at the top are breaking off!!!!!! Has this happened to anyone? I have an 09 mini s

Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Gary33031
1st Gear
Can you better describe which plastic pieces your referring too? Are the parts that attach to the windshield ton secure the top, or the plastic pieces that attach the canvas to the side of the car behind the passenger and drivers door?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:18 PM
nstructor
Neutral
I figured my description wasn't very good! They're both on the sides at the end of the windows. They're long black pieces and 1 seemed to snap and the other one is coming off! Does that make sense? I probably should take a picture for you!.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Gary33031
1st Gear
Again I'm not sure which piece your your referring too. As your sitting in the drivers seat are they in front and above you where the roof latches or behind you where the roof canvas attaches to the body?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
nstructor
Neutral
If I'm sitting in the driver's seat, the plastic things that are coming off are:

-behind my left shoulder

-to my right

They're both located directly above the far end of the front windows.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Gary33031
1st Gear
Can you post a picture or email it to me at gary33031@Mac.com

Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM
carverbaby
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nstructor
If I'm sitting in the driver's seat, the plastic things that are coming off are:

-behind my left shoulder

-to my right

They're both located directly above the far end of the front windows.
did you get it fixed? the clips that broke on my 09 s were fixed w/ p/n 54-34-7-276-922 repair kit for convertible...

Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 PM
nstructor
Neutral
I did get it fixed-am still under warranty and they said other cars have been brought in with the same problem! That's ridiculous then! Since I purchased the extended warranty, do I still get the same services for the next several years?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
MadFlava
Neutral
My 09 is going in for yet another visit to the stealership today. Ive had the car less than 4 months and this will be the 4th trip in and the first for top issues.

My problem is different than any described here tho. When I lower my top, it goes does but it doesnt go all the way down. What I mean by that is when its "done" going down, the top is still up about 2 feet in the back.

It looks like the window isnt folding down correctly. There's nothing in there holding it up that I can see and the mechanism seems to move freely but the window just wont lay down.

Ive had mixed results with our local dealership. I guess Ill see how it goes. Im not expecting to see the car for at least a week after I drop it off today.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Gabytx12
Neutral
Just about to buy-interchange yellow convertible noticed same problem!!

Originally Posted by phillyMCS
Well, as I had suspected, I had my top replaced by another dealer UNDER WARRANTY with no questions asked. They told me the issue is a problem that MINI will probably recall, or fix as it comes in.

With that being said, MINI of Towson are a bunch of a**wipes!!! Now if I had paid them $4000 to get it fixed, what are the chances they would refund me the money if MINI disclosed the problem say, 6 months down the road?

Well, at least I got my top replaced and from now on, I WILL NEVER BE BACK AT MINI OF TOWSON!!! BE FOREWARNED!!!
I am just about to buy a 2009 interchange yellow convertible and when I went to drive it yesterday, I noticed a problem with the convertible top...it is literally the SAME EXACT problem that you are having---looks like a small rip-and part is unattached from the frame!! They are going to "fix" it, but been wondering if need a new top. I know this post is a bit old, can you tell me how your new top has been holding up. Should I tell them to replace the top before I buy the car!!??? HELP!!!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Taking a chance on the top is risky. I'd want to be completely sure its in great shape. I had mine replaced due to wear spots , dealer in sterling VA had no issues doing that. If you can get a new top, do so. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2010 Denim top with 5300 miles just had the top replaced under warranty. Wear spot on driver's side. Loaner was a 2011 with black top and 21,000 miles. Same wear spot, same location. Checked my 2009 hot chocolate top with 5003 miles. Guess what? Same wear spot just not as bad because this car rarely gets used. Talked to my excellent service manager, asked if anything can be done proactively and he tells me not to worry just bring it in when it gets worse and they will replace the top and make necessary frame adjustments to eliminate the interference.

I know BMW has more money than God but I must be missing something.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:57 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where exactly are these wear spots?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
MadFlava
Neutral
Well, after almost a month, my car is ready today. Im going to pick it up and see how it goes. Theyve brought it back to me "fixed" twice now and the top wouldnt go down when they got it here. They supposedly replaced the top and all its components. I figure Im getting a rattletrap back.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
btor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MadFlava
Well, after almost a month, my car is ready today. Im going to pick it up and see how it goes. Theyve brought it back to me "fixed" twice now and the top wouldnt go down when they got it here. They supposedly replaced the top and all its components. I figure Im getting a rattletrap back.
Good luck and stay postive most verts make noise when going over rough roads.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
From what I have seen on 3 tops, 2009, 2010 & 2011, the wear is caused by abrasion against the driver's side rear seam when it is folded. It is an external abrasion and despite what my SC wants me to believe, I don't see how any frame adjustment will mitigate this problem.

That being said, I am waiting until month 47 to replace the chocolate top on my 2009 unless it wears through sooner. My convertibles are both garaged and very rarely see rain.

BTW, add the strut bar and it will minimize some of the "rattles".

Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM
AmosHarrison
Neutral
Location: full-time RVer, towing '09 black convertible behind 42' Foretravel motorhome
The dealer has just agreed to replace the top on my '09 Cooper S for the second time, and neither was for the dreaded plastic clip problem. When the car was new, I found that one wire in the rear window defroster wasn't working. The only solution was to replace the top. On a later service call a technician found some missing top hardware that I had never noticed, ordered a kit and replaced them. This past August the top stopped opening with a loud grinding noise. Another trip to a dealer. This time I was told a plastic gear had failed. This week, here in foggy Houston, I noticed the rear window defroster wasn't working at all. I hoped that it was a wiring issue, but no, a new top is required. Since I have just passed 40,000 miles of my 50,000 warranty period, I asked the finance guy to check convertible top provisions in the extended warranty plan. After several phone calls, he advised me that mechanical problems are covered, but nothing that involves the top cloth is covered!

So once again, the advice is: Don't dare exceed the 50,000 mile warranty on a Mini convertible!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:56 PM
AmosHarrison
Neutral
Location: full-time RVer, towing '09 black convertible behind 42' Foretravel motorhome
A different top problem

This week the rear window defroster failed in my April '09 S. I took it to the dealer yesterday, hoping it was a wiring problem(the fuse was good). No such luck. The connection at the window had failed. There is no alternative but to replace the top. Since I just passed 40,000 miles, just for curiosity I asked what the cost would be for me if I had already passed the 50,000 mile point. After 30 minutes the service manager came back with a quote of $8,193!!! I then asked the finance guy if the top would be covered under the extended warranty plan. Another 30 minutes went by before I got his answer: Mechanical and electrical parts were covered so long as they were not part of the fabric. All fabric associated problems were not covered. Oh, after I checked the forum I inspected the tops of the fenders, and found that the plastic piece had failed on the driver's side. So can I afford to keep the car past the 50,000 mile point? I don't think I can take the risk, though I guess the new top should last at least to 80,000 miles, right?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
Amos,

I find that quote hard to accept. I just had the denim top on my '10 replaced with 5,000 miles due to the common driver's side wear spot issue. My SA told me they are replacing almost 1/3 of the tops due to this known issue. My '09 has the same problem but I am waiting until it gets worse since I rarely use this car and the top probably has been down about 50% less than the '10. At $8K a pop I can't believe BMW would be replacing 1,000s of tops. My 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
AmosHarrison
Neutral
Convertible top pricing

Cobra,

You can check penskeparts.com to check the cost to replace your top yourself.

Regards,

Brett

Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
Brett,
$1936 list for the top, dealer cost about 55%. Still have trouble with the $8K+ quote since my SA told me they have 4.2 hours to replace it. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM
bionichicken
Neutral
2008 Mini Convertible Top Problems?????

I am looking at an 08 Convertible to buy. After reading these posts about the 09 problems, does anyone know if the 08's have a similar problem? Will really affect whether I purchase this car and would appreciate any and all replies to this post. Thank you. If you want to email me with comments it's usaforme1@hotmail.com

Old 11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Matthieum
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Patyacht
We have a similar squeak (do not have the plastic issue for ours is a 2010) and our dealer thinks it's because we tinted the windows. Right! Goes in again tomorrow for it's 1st service and another look at the annoying squeak!
It looks like we have the same car... A 2011 JCW with the same issues.
I received it on 12/02/2010 and few months after they changed the 2 arms of the top. A part at the rear on the left side (the patella, not sure if it isthe correct word) was broken. Since Ikeep having noice, squeak just like you.

Did they fix the problem with the procedure?

Thanks!

Last edited by Matthieum; 11-17-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: R57 Convertible top problems??