R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sprint Booster question-off idle repsonse

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:20 AM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sprint Booster question-off idle repsonse

Now that I have my R56 and driven in traffic more I've really noticed the throttle response issue that has been discussed so much. For me it's shown up on initial take off. I've driven manual transmission cars, trucks and motorcycles since the mid 80's of various kinds. I've never had an issue with take off. But, when I come off the brake and hit the gas timed with releasing the clutch I'm running into the off-idle pause for the throttle. It's annoying as hell.

I've searched and read on here the past few days about this. Sounds like people either learn to live with it, drive in sport mode all the time or get some version of a plug in throttle modifier like the Sprint Booster. The Sprint Booster seems like it's worth it to me so I ordered one from ECS. But, I noticed that I haven't seen anyone talk specifically about the off-idle response being changed. It appears that the Sprint Booster speeds up the throttle opening time overall but I mainly just want it to decrease the time from initial touch of the throttle to the throttle starting to open. For those of you using the Sprint Booster, is this something that it does or is that initial hesitation still there?

Mine should be here later this week but with the weather here I don't know how soon I will get it installed and tested.

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Cesar_lopez
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to buy one, i will wait for your review...

Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Okay. May be a couple weeks before I get it on. We'll see.

I don't really want the throttle to hit wide open sooner. I'm just looking for the first half inch or inch of pedal travel coming off idle to get a response from the throttle quickly for taking off from a stop light. I'm hoping that the low setting just gives me that.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Cesar_lopez
1st Gear
Sb

Any news from the SB ?? Is it worth it ?

Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cesar_lopez
Any news from the SB ?? Is it worth it ?
I haven't installed it yet. We've had continuous crappy weather here. I've only gotten to drive the car twice since I first posted. Hopefully, over the next week or two I'll get a chance to do it.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:52 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the SB on my car and you'll have to have it installed and drive with the various settings to see what you like and don't like. If you worried about on off throttle lag, then the SB will def remove that,the higher you set it. I think Race 9 make the car TOO HYPER and not recommended for stop and go traffic, it'll drive you bonkers with how it makes your car react because the throttle is almost too sensitive.
I only use it when I'm doing long hwy runs where I'm on the gas constantly, no other time.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Cesar_lopez
1st Gear
thxs bro, hope you drive your car soon

Old 03-05-2019, 03:59 AM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
thxs bro, hope you drive your car soon
Me too.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Cesar_lopez
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KCLARK
I have the SB on my car and you'll have to have it installed and drive with the various settings to see what you like and don't like. If you worried about on off throttle lag, then the SB will def remove that,the higher you set it. I think Race 9 make the car TOO HYPER and not recommended for stop and go traffic, it'll drive you bonkers with how it makes your car react because the throttle is almost too sensitive.
I only use it when I'm doing long hwy runs where I'm on the gas constantly, no other time.
Nice i am a bit worried about that first part of throttle lag actually I need that first pull jaja but does the price worth it ?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Nice i am a bit worried about that first part of throttle lag actually I need that first pull jaja but does the price worth it ?
Okay, I installed it today. This is the kind of thing that reminds me how old I am. Trying to get my big head and shoulders in the footwell area was fun. Also, it was a bear trying to get the plug to come off the throttle.

Keep in mind that the issue I've been having is the moment of take off where my foot comes off the brake and hits the throttle. For all other times the car reacts well enough. After driving the car a few times the past week when weather permitted I did notice that sometimes the lag wasn't as bad. I haven't spent the time testing to give an accurate list of when it was a problem and when it wasn't. However, I did notice that trying to start off at an intersection with a bit of an incline was the worst time. And, when starting off at an intersection I could not judge "just pushing down farther" because then the rpms would still lag and then jump too high causing tire slippage and a crappy takeoff. Also, I tried keeping the transmission out of gear with foot off clutch until time to take off and I didn't see as much lag on the throttle when first hitting it using this procedure. But, I don't normally do this at a stop light and would prefer not to. So, I still need a solution short of a full ECU tune which I don't really want at this point. And, while the sport button does help the issue (and it advances the throttle curve just like the Sprint Booster does BTW) I don't care for the pops and burbles from use of the sport button. So, this is the reason for me to try the Sprint Booster.

After installing the Sprint Booster today I drove around for all of about 20 minutes in the city and tried some starts and stops on a slight incline in an empty local parking lot. So far I've only tried the Sport mode 1-9. My hope is to keep it as low in the settings as possible so as not to use too advanced of a throttle curve. So far it seems to do what I want in that on settings 3-5 of Sport mode I'm not having any issues with take off from a dead stop including a slight incline and after sitting stopped with the shifter in gear and foot holding the clutch in fully. This area of the settings seems close to the curve advance given by the stock sport button.

Obviously this is only 20 minutes of testing but so far I like it. The off idle response when my foot first hits the pedal is definitely better. Right now I have it set at 3 in Sport mode and I will be driving it more over the next week or so (now that the weather is better) to make sure and to see if I need to adjust the setting at all.

Whether it's worth the $ that is up to the individual. If it continues to work the way is has today then it was worth it to me. I like how the car drives with it better than without it. But, if you are okay with the pops and burbles of the stock sport mode then you can always do that for free.

BTW, I put the JB+ on after and drove around a bit more. It definitely gives some more torque a bit lower in the rev range than stock. I like it so far as well.

Last edited by Kcyotz; 03-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:35 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I know you don't want an ecu tune at the moment but the linear throttle curve of the manic (all I have experienced) makes the car drive much smoother than stock. Even stage 1 is better than the jb+, so if you ever want more it's highly recommended. I was so glad to be rid of the nothing....full throttle! stock map, especially in medium traffic driving.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
I know you don't want an ecu tune at the moment but the linear throttle curve of the manic (all I have experienced) makes the car drive much smoother than stock. Even stage 1 is better than the jb+, so if you ever want more it's highly recommended. I was so glad to be rid of the nothing....full throttle! stock map, especially in medium traffic driving.
Eventually I may. It may be something to do over the winter next year along with some mods. Right now I'm just doing a couple basics for everyday driving. These two seem to be good and easily reversible.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:31 AM
steve05ram360
4th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
WTF???? Not sure how I got here since I was replying to a different thread in the R53 section... or is it a trick by the forum artificial intelligence to get us to bump old threads??? lol

Mods please delete this post...

Gone are the good old days where you had a solid link between the throttle peddle and the throttle body... sigh...

Could the OP's issue have anything to do with the adaptations I read about?

Fuel pressure regulator... we have a return-less system? Isn't there a schrader valve on the rail? If it is overfueling down low, wouldnt he be able to yank the plugs for a sniff test?

Last edited by steve05ram360; 11-12-2020 at 05:38 AM.