R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DIY GP2 from S

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:24 AM
ICONchad
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY GP2 from S

I've been wanting to get a GP2 and found a great one with low miles but I've been thinking recently of making a standard S that's just as capable. I've always had offroad cars and half the fun is the project in modifying it to make it my own. Also buying a S and changing it looks like it would even be cheaper than buying a GP2.

What I was thinking of doing is
- Mini Cooper Turbo K04 Gt Dominator™ Hi-flow Gen2
- ECU upgrade
- Forge Intercooler
- Oil cooler
- Duell AG Frog Instrument Panel
- DEFI coolant/boost gauges
- Duell AG body kits
- AST Suspension
- AEM air intake & strut bar
- Eventually new seats/interior accents/paint job or wrap
- Black wheels & tires

Does a 2013 Cooper S have the N18 engine?
Which Brakes and Tires?
Any other suggestions on parts?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yes it has the n18. This is some of the most popular upgrades and kits. Lots of info. With the front red brake ducts and the GP2 rear duffuser you will need the JCW aero boy kit II or higher.

Gp2 brakes here and DIY: https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...013_2014_2015/

DIY: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...tallation1.pdf

Wheel fitment: http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...t_template.pdf

GP2 rear diffuser:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...se-in-mpg.html

Gp2 front belly pan install and our kit : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-pan-kit.html

GP2 / JCW underbody covers:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...g-install.html

Some of GP2 parts here to look at.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...de_Kits_19020/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-22-2017, 01:11 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Oooor... get the GP2 and mod it. I think that when you get finally an S to handle and run as a GP you will spend as much as the GP. I agree on the DIY journey, but believe me, the GP is not just the parts.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:36 PM
ICONchad
2nd Gear
Thanks for the links. MiniMoic..thanks for the insight...beyond the parts and being part of the cool kids club of having a limited edition..what's the difference? resale value is slightly higher than a JCW but I expect to drive the **** out of it. There is a S near me for around 14k and the GP2 I'm looking at with the same mileage is 27k so lots of room for parts. The GP2 would definitely be easier but that's no fun.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Welcome. Good luck on the build and let me know if you need anything else.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
An S with the mods you mention, plus a tune, plus the necessary forged internals to take care of what the dominator can push, will eat stock GP2s for breakfast....

(Take it from me: do not push big boost into stock internals.)

Old 06-23-2017, 11:16 AM
ICONchad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by keithmcgreggor
An S with the mods you mention, plus a tune, plus the necessary forged internals to take care of what the dominator can push, will eat stock GP2s for breakfast....

(Take it from me: do not push big boost into stock internals.)
What internal changes do you suggest?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
At the end of the day it is what you want in a car. If special letters or numbers on a car make your day, spend the money and buy the GP. I just got back from a tour on the Blue Ridge Parkway here in North Carolina. I have some mods but had some "big" Gen3 4-doors in our group that hit the twisties off the Parkway. I left that tour with a completely different take on the 4-doors as they handled pretty darn good in stock form. There was a N14 there with 225,000 miles and that car went pretty darn good as well.

Unless you live with "dragon" like roads nearby, any S or JCW Mini is more than capable on the roads. If you can turn a wrench, you can buy a lower cost Mini and with mods create a pretty hot little number. My modded Gen1 had no issues what so ever with the Gen2 turbo cars on the curves. My buddy had his Gen1 S on the tour. He does have lowered coil overs but only a 15% pulley yet he was right on the butts of some Gen2 JCWs.

The only bad thing on mods, is that you will not get the money back out when you sell the car so you gotta decide how much money you are going to throw down the hole of owning most type cars.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 AM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
At the end of the day it is what you want in a car. If special letters or numbers on a car make your day, spend the money and buy the GP. I just got back from a tour on the Blue Ridge Parkway here in North Carolina. I have some mods but had some "big" Gen3 4-doors in our group that hit the twisties off the Parkway. I left that tour with a completely different take on the 4-doors as they handled pretty darn good in stock form. There was a N14 there with 225,000 miles and that car went pretty darn good as well.

Unless you live with "dragon" like roads nearby, any S or JCW Mini is more than capable on the roads. If you can turn a wrench, you can buy a lower cost Mini and with mods create a pretty hot little number. My modded Gen1 had no issues what so ever with the Gen2 turbo cars on the curves. My buddy had his Gen1 S on the tour. He does have lowered coil overs but only a 15% pulley yet he was right on the butts of some Gen2 JCWs.

The only bad thing on mods, is that you will not get the money back out when you sell the car so you gotta decide how much money you are going to throw down the hole of owning most type cars.
Extremely well said! I completely agree.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM
ICONchad
2nd Gear
Ya definitely agree, I've done several off-road truck builds and know all to well you don't get back what you put into it. My budget is around the price of a gp2(27k) and had originally decided to go that route but I think I'm gonna go with an S and then make it my own and spend up to what I would on a gp2. Not gonna go crazy race mode (yet) but just something fun to drive.