JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Underbody Paneling install

Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Underbody Paneling install

Has anyone done this install? I've ordered the underbody paneling for my 2009 factory JCW. I got it so that it matches up with the rear diffuser and so I have a completely smooth air flow under the car.

I don't have access to a lift, so I'm wondering if this is something I can do without jack stands. I put the JCW aero kit on myself as well as the diffuser.

I ordered all the appropriate mounting gear, and there are the panels made for my car based on the VIN. I think I've read that this was normally installed when someone got the factory aero kit (not the JCW one).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&hg=51&fg=75

Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Has anyone done this install? I've ordered the underbody paneling for my 2009 factory JCW. I got it so that it matches up with the rear diffuser and so I have a completely smooth air flow under the car.

I don't have access to a lift, so I'm wondering if this is something I can do without jack stands. I put the JCW aero kit on myself as well as the diffuser.

I ordered all the appropriate mounting gear, and there are the panels made for my car based on the VIN. I think I've read that this was normally installed when someone got the factory aero kit (not the JCW one).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&hg=51&fg=75
I've not done it, plan to though. You will need to get your car high enough to get under it, don't try it without jack stands! It's just too risky, you could get yourself hurt or worse. Pick up some jack stands at Sears, Auto Zone, Pep Boys...whatever, they are not expensive. Good luck with the install, should bolt right up.

-Steven

Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yes the underpanels look like this. For the R56 2009 factory JCW

Click on the pics for the items.

Yes these were part of the JCW aero kit.

If you can lift it on jack stands you can get under it. You can jack one side up and then do one side at a time. Again with a lift its a whole lot easier.

Post up pics when you have it done.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-18-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes but does it fit if you have braces?. The roadster has factory braces and the underpanels are left off. Would like to know if it fits or if it fits with any aftermarket braces?.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan to add a set of these too since I've recently ordered the diffusers as well.

I hear the install is extremely easy once you get the car lifted somehow.

We may as well go all the way at this point. Anyone know where to source the green underpanel in the pic on the far right?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-post139.html

Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
I've been looking into the front "skid plate" piece since I first saw that video but no luck so far. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard lately. Rennline makes a very nice skid plate that would accomplish more or less the same thing but I'd prefer the lighter weight of this GP panel. Honestly, I'm not even sure if that panel made it on to the final version of the GP2 as you can see the car in the pics/video is a prototype with camo, etc. and even the diffuser panels lack the aluminum bracing parts showing up on the final version of the car. My parts dept. guy has his eye out for this piece and if I hear anything I'll certainly post it.

As for the underpanels, they are a cinch to install. My JCW Coupe came from the factory with them installed but I've removed them several times to work on the car. It can be done with the car on jackstands. I've even done it with the car on the ground and my Coupe is lowered though it was a pain feeling for where the fasteners go. Once you slide the panels in place they screw to the underside in several places with little square headed plastic threaded fasteners. I believe a 7 or 8mm socket will do the trick. Don't quote me on the socket size though since it's been awhile since I've done it.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I bought some Rhino Ramps, so hopefully, that will give me enough room. I put the JCW Aero kit and rear diffuser set on myself laying on the ground - so, I'm hoping getting it up a few inches will be all I need.

I'll probably put this in another thread, but I started smelling gasoline today, and when I popped the hood, I can smell it right by the upper right-hand-side of the engine. Anybody know if this might be the high-pressure fuel pump? I'm not getting any stalling or start-up problems at this time. 2009 factory JCW w/ 19700 miles.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I bought some Rhino Ramps, so hopefully, that will give me enough room. I put the JCW Aero kit and rear diffuser set on myself laying on the ground - so, I'm hoping getting it up a few inches will be all I need.

I'll probably put this in another thread, but I started smelling gasoline today, and when I popped the hood, I can smell it right by the upper right-hand-side of the engine. Anybody know if this might be the high-pressure fuel pump? I'm not getting any stalling or start-up problems at this time. 2009 factory JCW w/ 19700 miles.
Do you have an oil catch can in that area? They can emit a fuel smelling odor when they begin to fill up.

Back on topic, I plan to order a set of these soon and install them at the same time I add install the diffusers.

TerminalVelocity, thanks for the info. Hopefully something comes up but you're right, they may not even be part of the GP2.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
No oil catch can - I put a thread in the Stock Problems / Issues forum. I'll see if I get any responses.

Hopefully, my underbody paneling will come in today and I can see if a service advisor can have a look.

I'm looking forward to checking out a GP in March to see about that skid plate, as well as how the rear spoiler attaches to the car's back window.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
No oil catch can - I put a thread in the Stock Problems / Issues forum. I'll see if I get any responses.

Hopefully, my underbody paneling will come in today and I can see if a service advisor can have a look.

I'm looking forward to checking out a GP in March to see about that skid plate, as well as how the rear spoiler attaches to the car's back window.
Where did you source your panels, dealer? Thanks!

-Steven

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Yes - ordered them from the dealer. These have been around for quite a long time.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
jkapinos - Those above after the first post are for the R56 Model MINI.

OEM MINI Parts : 51752753163 51752753164

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES130578_ES250427/

I did find the ones for the R58 Coupe. They possibly might fit the R59 , but it might require cutting into the corner plastic near the bracing. If you could take a picture of the rear underbelly of your R59 we could find out. Most likely you would have to remove the rear additional supports , install the plastics and then re-install the braces.

Here is the part for the R58 models. ( * To fit to the R59 model )

OEM MINI Part nubmers : 51752759386 & 51752759385

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES2530926_ES2530925/

sooper_cooper - Don't see a part number yet for the GP II with the engine belly pan. Only certain parts have been released at this time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-10-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
jkapinos - Those above after the first post are for the R56 Model MINI.

OEM MINI Partsd : 51752753163 51752753164

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES130578_ES250427/

I did find the ones for the R58 Coupe. They possibly might fit the R59 , but it might require cutting into the corner plastic near the bracing. If you could take a picture of the rear underbelly of your R59 we could find out. Most likely you would have to remove the rear additional supports , install the plastics and then re-install the braces.

Here is the part for the R58 models.

OEM MINI Part nubmers : 51752759386 & 51752759385

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES2530926_ES2530925/

sooper_cooper - Don't see a part number yet for the GP II with the engine belly pan. Only certain parts have been released at this time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Thanks for the info. Here's a few pics.Name:  _DSC3945.jpg
Views: 4178
Size:  4.78 MB

Name:  _DSC3398.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  4.19 MB

-Steven

Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear

There's another DIY coming up in April at MoD. I may wait to install the parts then just for the sake of ease while having the car up on a lift.

The GP spoiler requires the entire back window to be replaced since the connectors are part of the glass.

The GP spoiler looks a lot like the Fubrication spoiler though, except that the Fubrication option is a LOT cheaper and it doesn't require a new rear window:

https://sites.google.com/a/fubricati...w/product/mini

Hope that helps.

Thanks
That does help. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
BlueToy - Thanks for the underbody shots.

I can tell you using the underbody panels for the R58 might be some work. First the rear section on the panels connects to the rear chassis center brace which is blocked by the additional supports which are on the R57 convertible and R52. Also near the center mid pipe square support would need some trimming.

Back by #5 and in the center by the inside cutout. Looks like there is enough room to slide under the brace to fit but it still might need removed and then re-installed , at least the outer arms.

Other then that it might work. Sounds like a DIY in the future Bluetoy. You do have the screw studs hanging down so it will receive the panel.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
BlueToy - Thanks for the underbody shots.

I can tell you using the underbody panels for the R58 might be some work. First the rear section on the panels connects to the rear chassis center brace which is blocked by the additional supports which are on the R57 convertible and R52. Also near the center mid pipe square support would need some trimming.

Back by #5 and in the center by the inside cutout. Looks like there is enough room to slide under the brace to fit but it still might need removed and then re-installed , at least the outer arms.

Other then that it might work. Sounds like a DIY in the future Bluetoy. You do have the screw studs hanging down so it will receive the panel.

Thanks
Thanks for the great walk through I will be trying an install in the future...we'll see how it goes. I'm assuming the panels are ABS, and easy to cut?

-Steven

Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Installed

Got them installed - here are some pics - car was at the dealer for something else, and they put it up on the lift for me.

Attached Thumbnails Underbody Paneling install-img_0557.jpg   Underbody Paneling install-img_0560.jpg   Underbody Paneling install-img_0561.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
looking back

pictures from the front

Attached Thumbnails Underbody Paneling install-img_0558.jpg   Underbody Paneling install-img_0559.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Kfmuller - Those look great on your 2009 factory JCW .

So clean and smooth !

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
kfmuller-

That looks great...thanks for sharing. Looking forward to getting these installed.

-Steven

Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Fasteners!

Underbody Paneling install-image-498767239.jpg

Underbody Paneling install-image-2646461324.jpg

Underbody Paneling install-image-2459983709.jpg

You need (for each panel):
1 torx screw
1 plastic Philips expanding rivet
10 plastic nut

Oh, and 1 of the below hex bolts

Underbody Paneling install-image-1228959242.jpg

Sorry I don't have the part #'s but I'm sure Your dealer has/can get them if they don't come with the panels. It's not a bad idea to get a few spares while your at it.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 02-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I bought mine from my local MINI dealer. I ordered the two bottom panels and all of the fasteners and two braces and it came out to be around $270 plus tax. I imagine it can be had for less, but then you've got shipping costs to deal with. My dealer's price was more than ECS Tuning, so folks might want to get them from ECS. I also think you can do a little snipping on these and make them work with the cross-bracing on the Roadster.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I bought mine from my local MINI dealer. I ordered the two bottom panels and all of the fasteners and two braces and it came out to be around $270 plus tax. I imagine it can be had for less, but then you've got shipping costs to deal with. My dealer's price was more than ECS Tuning, so folks might want to get them from ECS. I also think you can do a little snipping on these and make them work with the cross-bracing on the Roadster.
Thanks again Bro Much appreciated!

-Steven

Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Are these panels available for the R55 as well?

--Matt

Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't thnk there's any love for the Clubman

:(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW Underbody Paneling install