Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Lemfoerder Rear Strut Bushings!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:41 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Lemfoerder Rear Strut Bushings!

Just wanted to send a warning out to those who are going to be overhauling their rear suspension. This is for first gens and second gens (same part on both gens). Lemfoerder is usually my go-to brand for MINI suspension parts and is usually the original manufacturer of the MINI suspension parts.

However, much to my surprise, I ran into a defective design on their rear strut replacement bushings, which are definitely not OEM. The foam material is far too soft and deformed after only 5,000 miles and caused clunking on the back struts! See the attached picture comparing OEM to the defective lemfoerder one.

Be sure to stick with new or low mileage OEM bushings so you don't have to do the repair twice like me.

Attached Thumbnails Lemfoerder Rear Strut Bushings!-img_20170125_240557917.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by gknorr:
John Jankura (04-02-2020), Warwick Dean (03-01-2020)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Same experience x 3

I always try to use OEM parts on my R53, had 3 sets of Lemfoerder rear strut upper bushing pancake in a matter of days after putting in a set of KONI FSD shocks.. Finally installed Powerflex yellows and no problems since.

Really disappointed at all the work I had to do to finally get rid of the clunking, it ruined the drivers side rear KONI,the ram got all scarred up sliding up and down in the little metal sleeve in the foam bushing.Nice.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:40 AM
Warwick Dean
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gknorr
Just wanted to send a warning out to those who are going to be overhauling their rear suspension. This is for first gens and second gens (same part on both gens). Lemfoerder is usually my go-to brand for MINI suspension parts and is usually the original manufacturer of the MINI suspension parts.

However, much to my surprise, I ran into a defective design on their rear strut replacement bushings, which are definitely not OEM. The foam material is far too soft and deformed after only 5,000 miles and caused clunking on the back struts! See the attached picture comparing OEM to the defective lemfoerder one.

Be sure to stick with new or low mileage OEM bushings so you don't have to do the repair twice like me.
Old thread I know but I've found the same thing, the white version is straight polyurethane that's soo soft. They seem to have taken over the market now and most brands are sending this crap out in their box despite using old photos of OEM looking items. Febi also sell the same sort of make up item but use an orange polyurethane which I guess tricks customers into thinking they're OEM equivalent.

OEM is EPDM foam but it's impregnated with polyurethane and they seem to be a hell of a lot more durable as you know.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:56 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Really unfortunate they're still making and selling the defective ones. The OEM ones are very durable and I haven't had any problems ever with them. For those on a budget, just reusing you're existing OEMs or a set of used OEM ones from the junkyard will work far better.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:12 AM
Warwick Dean
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gknorr
Really unfortunate they're still making and selling the defective ones. The OEM ones are very durable and I haven't had any problems ever with them. For those on a budget, just reusing you're existing OEMs or a set of used OEM ones from the junkyard will work far better.
Agreed bud, they seem to have plagued the market now. Bilstein, SKF, Firstline, ect all selling the same garbage!

Old 03-02-2020, 08:02 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We just usually use the Powerflex here in our shop as they are about the same price as originals, but work well.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...-bushings.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We just usually use the Powerflex here in our shop as they are about the same price as originals, but work well.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...-bushings.html
Good to know there's a reliable alternate. Looks like that's what Madgepetto installed a few years back too.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (03-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:55 PM
John Jankura
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same with Kyb only 5k. Ugh!