R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Seems like a fairly easy thing. They don't have to take the bumper off or anything like that to get to it. It's just in a tight spot.
You'll be ok.
Agreed--this is a simple thing, not an engine teardown! And there's nothing to suggest that anything will change with the car's performance. Incidentally, I'm at over 80,000 miles, with no oil consumption.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I'll give my dealer a call and see when to bring it in. The letter said it takes about an hour to replace the parts.

I hate having my car taken apart because I'm sure it will not ever be right again.

In my 23,000 miles I have no leaks, use no oil, have absolutely no problems at all.

Now the nightmare begins. (((DOOM)))
Ours was changed out. Been driving it since last Thursday. No problems at all. Not to worry.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rudeboim3
noob q here: i own a MCS production date 05/2007. how do i know if my car is recalled?
Mine is a 04/2007 production. You should be in the recall. The dealer can check your records via your key fob and tell you for sure. Mine was in the system about 3 weeks before the letter arrived. The dealer doesn't need the letter, btw.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I think it's safe to say that all the 2007 production models will be involved. I agree--you don't need the letter.

BTW, if you're not the original owner, you might not be in the system.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Jupiter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Recall done last week when I was having the brakes done. I hadn't received the letter when they did the work but I received it yesterday.

All done, in and out, no problem...

Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Ok, I got to confess. I wasn't worried about this so I didn't read this much into this long thread. I have now, and I didn't see anything like my experience.
I live 80 miles away from my dealership. They are good folks. They don't see me for months, but they remember my wife and I. Nice touch. I got mine scheduled for a Friday during my spring blink. I don't call it spring break because even though I work at a university, we the employees only get two days off. While the students run around nekkid and drunk on warm beaches for a week. It aint fair.
We drive down, they take like three hours to do the job. But it is cool, they ferry us to a local mall which keeps the wife happy and me gawking. They pick us up, bags and all.
Percy is clean and ready to go. We head down to Houston for the Rodeo then hightail it to Beaumont and a hotel.
When I stop I hear a hissing sound from under the hood. Flashlight in hand, I hunt a leak for 10 minutes cussing everybody at the dealership. Grumble my tired a$$ off to bed and have bad dreams of being stranded with a overheated motor.
Next day I reinspect Percy, note my water level is still good, and call to put the dealership on notice that I would see them Monday morning. Moderately politely.
Skip to Monday after another 80 mile drive and a vacation day call.
Me: I got a leak. Listen.
Service manager: I think that is the pump. Let's go ask the tech.
Me: Wuh?
Tech: Yep. That's the new pump. It sounds different.
Sure as *^& I don't hear the old pump and a hiss. Just a hiss.
What follows is 80 miles of strong language.

So has anybody else noticed a change in the sound of their Mini post shutdown after having the recall done?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
Ok, I got to confess. I wasn't worried about this so I didn't read this much into this long thread. I have now, and I didn't see anything like my experience.
I live 80 miles away from my dealership. They are good folks. They don't see me for months, but they remember my wife and I. Nice touch. I got mine scheduled for a Friday during my spring blink. I don't call it spring break because even though I work at a university, we the employees only get two days off. While the students run around nekkid and drunk on warm beaches for a week. It aint fair.
We drive down, they take like three hours to do the job. But it is cool, they ferry us to a local mall which keeps the wife happy and me gawking. They pick us up, bags and all.
Percy is clean and ready to go. We head down to Houston for the Rodeo then hightail it to Beaumont and a hotel.
When I stop I hear a hissing sound from under the hood. Flashlight in hand, I hunt a leak for 10 minutes cussing everybody at the dealership. Grumble my tired a$$ off to bed and have bad dreams of being stranded with a overheated motor.
Next day I reinspect Percy, note my water level is still good, and call to put the dealership on notice that I would see them Monday morning. Moderately politely.
Skip to Monday after another 80 mile drive and a vacation day call.
Me: I got a leak. Listen.
Service manager: I think that is the pump. Let's go ask the tech.
Me: Wuh?
Tech: Yep. That's the new pump. It sounds different.
Sure as *^& I don't hear the old pump and a hiss. Just a hiss.
What follows is 80 miles of strong language.

So has anybody else noticed a change in the sound of their Mini post shutdown after having the recall done?
Yes, I guess I did, now that you mention it. Not enough to check it out, though. Some people hear the fan go on post-shutdown (and I have on one or two of my previous electric-fan cooled cars), but I never did before on the MINI. I have heard it a time or two since the recall. I never heard a hissing sound, or anything that made me raise the hood, though.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Nope , I don't hear anything.

I will listen for the hissing sound but so far my car makes no unusual noises at all.

Of course your talking to someone that did not even notice the timing chain noise it was making. It is now a very silent car when running.I guess my timing chain was making the noise for a long time and I just got used to hearing it.

I really need to get rid of this JCW loud exhaust and put something else a lot quieter on my car. (Just Kidding) I love the sound of my exhaust.

If I hear anything strange I'll post it.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Haven't heard a thing.Q

Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
PatM
6th Gear
I listen, feel and breath, my wife's R56. She had her pump changed a couple weeks ago and it sounds the same as the other. A little quieter maybe than the last but it most certainly is not a hiss. Not even close to a hiss. More like a mechanical whurrrrrr if you ask me.

I would keep a close eye on it. Not saying that they will all sound the same but a hiss doesn't describe it if you ask me.

But if no leaks and the coolant level does not change then maybe they are right. I would check frequently to make sure all is well for at least a little while.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Haven't had mine changed out yet but I currently hear a whzzzz sound when I turn my car off coming from the passenger front area. I assume that's my turbo aux water pump.
Getting the recall done next week.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Haven't had mine changed out yet but I currently hear a whzzzz sound when I turn my car off coming from the passenger front area. I assume that's my turbo aux water pump.
Getting the recall done next week.
if you pop your bonnet the pump is actually more on the drivers side or center than the passenger side. After you have driven for awhile pop the bonnet and put your head down near the turbo and you can hear it. It's actually on the RH side of the turbo.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
if you pop your bonnet the pump is actually more on the drivers side or center than the passenger side. After you have driven for awhile pop the bonnet and put your head down near the turbo and you can hear it. It's actually on the RH side of the turbo.
Pat, you are correct. More toward the middle but not very loud. When
I put my head down toward the bonnet before I didn't have it opened
so I assumed (made an *** out of me) it was to the left. Open the hood,
makes alot of difference.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 AM
KrautHammer
2nd Gear
Mine was done yesterday at Tom Bush in Jacksonville. In at 0930, out at 1145 including a car wash.
The car was in perfect condition and noiseless when it went in and now after 70 miles the pump makes noise when running and a loud and long bird-like chirping noise when the engine is turned off.
I called the service writer who off course stated that they had never (!) heard this before but agreed to log my complaint in my file so that the next time I want to waste a day they can tend to it at their expense.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
brohammer619
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got mine done today and definitely noticed a hissing/whirring noise when it stopped. Must just be the new pump

Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM
ianjenkins
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by brohammer619
I just got mine done today and definitely noticed a hissing/whirring noise when it stopped. Must just be the new pump
Same, the old noise post-shut down was deeper and less pronounced. Was definitely still audible during the cooldown, but not like after the change.

This new pump/fan is definitely higher pitched, like a zing-buzzing or "ZZZZing" sound. There's no way to write it down, but odds are, we're all experiencing a similar change. I'll record it next time I have a chance.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I can describe it. Sounds just like when you have a hole your radiator. Not a big one. Just one of those "oh crap, at least it will hold till payday" size ones.

I guess I adjust quick enough. We went for a blue bonnet run yesterday in the wife's cabrio. First time we stopped I thought her cool down pump was loud.
Go figure.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Called to make an appointment for mine and it's for next week. They quoted me a time frame of 4 hours to complete??? I asked to wait for it and they said no its guna be a while and I'm better off getting dropping it off. I requested a loaner since I live 20mins away from the dealership.
Now 4 hours?! Come on, I don't like leaving my car out of my site for even 1 hour unless it's at my home. I don't let anyone else drive, look or even breathe on it. Now I'm guna worry about some newbie mechanic working on it or even pulling it into the service bay.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Hey Automan21

Now whats the hurry?

They need the two hours to do the recall and at least two more hours to wash your car for you.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lol I'm real particular when it comes to my car. The last wash they did left the bottom half of it dirty, so it's not like it's hand washed, which I've been doing myself since I got it. I would just prefer to buy the part replace it myself and then hand them the bill for the part. Is that allowed?
She's my baby lol.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Hey automan21

I really don't think that will happen.

I don't know why your dealer can't just have you wait because it only takes about one to one and a half hours to do the recall.

Your dealer may be one of those that makes three or four appointments to come in at the same time. Then it is up to the tech which one he wants to do first. With flat rate the tech's like to work on a couple of cars at one time. They can make more $$$ in a day then if doing one car until it is finished then starting on another.

Flat rate pay is nothing new. It has been around ever since I can remember. It is just how almost all mechanics are paid.

Your car will be fine, I'm sure that they will take good care of it, If you don't want it washed you need to put a nice big sign on the dash.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1.) the car needs to cool down for a while before they start work on it. 220F coolant isn't fun. Neither is working near a hot turbo.

2.) Get over it. It's a car, not even an expensive car. It's going to be fine.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a 2011, built mid-December 2010.
A couple of weeks ago, Tom Bush in Jacksonville checked my car when I was there to purchase a couple of parts.
They scanned the key and reported that there is no recall for the water pump listed for my car.
I thought it a bit strange, but went with it.
Now, I am really beginning to wonder.
Then again, maybe this is a good thing as I get to keep the non-hissing pump.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Deep, slow breathing. Exhale fully. Slow, deep breath....

Originally Posted by automan21
...I don't let anyone else drive, look or even breathe on it. Now I'm guna worry about some newbie mechanic working on it or even pulling it into the service bay.
My dealership offers free pick-up and delivery for service and sales, but I haven't taken them up on the offer because I don't know how Molly would be driven. And my dealer is 120 miles away.

On the other hand, LOTS of people have driven her safely(?):

Out of the Oxford plant.
Onto the train to Southampton.
Off the train onto Southampton dock
Onto the roro ship.
Off the roro ship.
Into vehicle processing center.
Out of vehicle processing center.
Onto shipping truck.
Off of shipping truck.
Into dealer's prep.
Dealer test drive.
Onto dealer lot.

So, I necessarily rationalize that everything will be fine.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
ianjenkins
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Called to make an appointment for mine and it's for next week. They quoted me a time frame of 4 hours to complete??? I asked to wait for it and they said no its guna be a while and I'm better off getting dropping it off. I requested a loaner since I live 20mins away from the dealership.
Now 4 hours?! Come on, I don't like leaving my car out of my site for even 1 hour unless it's at my home. I don't let anyone else drive, look or even breathe on it. Now I'm guna worry about some newbie mechanic working on it or even pulling it into the service bay.
I had to wait overnight, after dropping mine off in morning. It was ready the next day... now I'd call that more of a problem. 4 hours, I can understand, but overnight? Not so much.

Quick Reply: R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall