R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
rac427
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Sounds like it, but why don't you just ask your SA?
yea.. will give them a call tomorrow morning
Was tried to call them and they are off like 3minutes before my call

I will keep my finger cross that my car is in part of the recall

thanks again for the help!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:49 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes, it's nice to own Just A Cooper.

The following users liked this post:
pilotart (12-07-2023)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dhoosee
Sometimes, it's nice to own Just A Cooper.
Maybe, but sometimes it's more fun to have an MCS. Name:  burnrubber.gif
Views: 114
Size:  14.9 KB

Seriously, though, this just isn't a big deal. Couple of hours and it was done. I didn't even bother with a loaner car.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM
Lifecycles
2nd Gear
My 08 R56 Cam Tensioner Failure

Just got my Mini back from the dealer after it failed. 35K miles and it started making noise. Cam was 90 degrees out after failure and luckily no head or valve damage. BMW covered all the parts and labor even though I was out of warranty.
The mechanic told me this happened a few times and should have been a recall. I guess I need to check on this newest recall also before I damage my engine.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Lifecycles
Just got my Mini back from the dealer after it failed. 35K miles and it started making noise. Cam was 90 degrees out after failure and luckily no head or valve damage. BMW covered all the parts and labor even though I was out of warranty.
The mechanic told me this happened a few times and should have been a recall. I guess I need to check on this newest recall also before I damage my engine.
Are you saying that your cam slid out of the bearings? I would like to better understand what happened to your cam.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Lifecycles
2nd Gear
My Cam Tensioner Failure

My cam tensioner broke and broke the timing chain which caused the cam to move 90 degrees out. It was all repaired and working fine now. I did call my Mechanic about the water pump recall and he said they replaced mine while it was at the dealership.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What's this timing chain recall I hear of?

Apparently now it's in full effect?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
What's this timing chain recall I hear of?

Apparently now it's in full effect?
I haven't heard anything about this. I would have imagined we would have gotten letters and there would have been leaks about it. Do you have any source of information to claim this or is this just that you've heard of this possibly being true?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cereal
I haven't heard anything about this. I would have imagined we would have gotten letters and there would have been leaks about it. Do you have any source of information to claim this or is this just that you've heard of this possibly being true?
I remember seeing a thread on it a while ago. Some dealers were doing the service ahead of time.

In South FL, Vista MINI is one of them.

Luis at Precision Autoworks in Miami told me yesterday at an autocross that it is now a bulletin for all dealers to follow. I guess I'll just call and see.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM
cereal
4th Gear
I remember seeing a thread on it a while ago. Some dealers were doing the service ahead of time.

In South FL, Vista MINI is one of them.

Luis at Precision Autoworks in Miami told me yesterday at an autocross that it is now a bulletin for all dealers to follow. I guess I'll just call and see.
You should try and coerce a copy of this bulletin, I'm sure others here would love to see it (myself included).

Old 10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Lifecycles
2nd Gear
If you hear a little rattle on cold start-up, you definately want to have it repaired. Mine failed and luckily did no major damage to the head , etc. They did replace everything even though I was beyond 5 year warranty. I only had 35.5K miles on my R56. The dealership did it all as a warranty job. It did cost me $225.00 to have it towed in, I didn't ask for the tow charges since they did cover the expensive stuff.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
If you hear a little rattle on cold start-up, you definately want to have it repaired. Mine failed and luckily did no major damage to the head , etc. They did replace everything even though I was beyond 5 year warranty. I only had 35.5K miles on my R56. The dealership did it all as a warranty job. It did cost me $225.00 to have it towed in, I didn't ask for the tow charges since they did cover the expensive stuff.
This is what I have and this is specifically what he told me to listen for.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Lifecycles
2nd Gear
Death Rattle

I would suggest you do not hesitate to get it serviced. Make sure you tell them that they need to cover the repair. My mechanic at Brian Harris in Baton Rouge, La. made sure he wrote up the inspection report so they could cover it. It took a while for BMW to allow it to be repaired, but it saved me lots of money. I was very upset that my Mini was in need of repair with so few miles. If they didn't cover it I would have paid and sold it. It would have been my LAST Mini.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
You should try and coerce a copy of this bulletin, I'm sure others here would love to see it (myself included).
Yeah, me too! I had mine done on my nickel, but at the dealer. I have my name on file at MINI USA, but I'd like to know what you find.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Roland V
Neutral
'09 Clubman S

Just got off the phone with my Dealer's service department for a recall on some sort of heat shield. They say there is no charge. Anyone else get this recall notice?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Roland V
Just got off the phone with my Dealer's service department for a recall on some sort of heat shield. They say there is no charge. Anyone else get this recall notice?
Nope, not yet. I had my scoop replaced under warranty, and left out the "grill" insert. Since I've seen the partially opened scoops warp just as much as my totally closed scoop (I have a very early '07), leaving it out seemed to be the best option. That was a few years ago, and I've never had any problems, even in heavy rain. No warping, either, and it's not something you'd notice. My SA recommended doing that, by the way.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Well I didn't exactly get this.

But the bulletin is for the Timing Chain Tensioner.

Basically just call, give them the last 7 of your VIN and they will look to see if its on the original tensioner (to their knowledge).

If not, bring it in for inspection. Seems like I will be getting a loaner car since I'm taking it in during the week (Tues).

The issue is supposedly only there for cars with the original tensioner.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

Basically just call, give them the last 7 of your VIN and they will look to see if its on the original tensioner (to their knowledge).

If not, bring it in for inspection. Seems like I will be getting a loaner car since I'm taking it in during the week (Tues).

I have a '07 MCS with 111K+. Will it be covered under this recall/service bulletin? I'm a couple of hours from the closest dealer.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 AM
BritBoy
3rd Gear

Is there a bulletin number I can reference?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
Is there a bulletin number I can reference?
Not that I am aware of. You shouldn't need one as long as you have an "S". Just call and speak to the service manager, let him know what you have gotten word of a service campaign for the timing chain and tensioner, and would like to know if your vehicle falls under the build-dates of that campaign.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by babysarah
Not that I am aware of. You shouldn't need one as long as you have an "S". Just call and speak to the service manager, let him know what you have gotten word of a service campaign for the timing chain and tensioner, and would like to know if your vehicle falls under the build-dates of that campaign.
That doesn't work. I called the dealer who did the work on my car prior to moving, and they claimed they didn't know about any such service campaign. I then called MINI-USA, and got the same story. Build dates, VIN numbers, and such were never even part of the conversation--they claim there is NO such service bulletin or recall. The most MINI-USA did was put my name on a "complaint list."

Yeah, like that will do something...

Old 11-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
here's the letter that has gone / is going out. Got mine about a week ago. 4 days after I sold the car....

Name:  MINIchainltr_zps29301ba2.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  64.2 KB

You may note that the words 'recall', or 'bulletin' or anything like do not appear. The letter says MINI wants to CHECK and repair IF NECESSARY . . .

Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
here's the letter that has gone / is going out. Got mine about a week ago. 4 days after I sold the car....

You may note that the words 'recall', or 'bulletin' or anything like do not appear. The letter says MINI wants to CHECK and repair IF NECESSARY . . .
That looks a good deal more promising! Now, if only they agree to reimburse those of us who had it done prior to the letter. At least I had it done at the dealer.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
That doesn't work. I called the dealer who did the work on my car prior to moving, and they claimed they didn't know about any such service campaign. I then called MINI-USA, and got the same story. Build dates, VIN numbers, and such were never even part of the conversation--they claim there is NO such service bulletin or recall. The most MINI-USA did was put my name on a "complaint list."

Yeah, like that will do something...
I'm not sure when you called .. but as soon as I caught wind of the campaign, I called my local MINI dealership here in Orlando, FL and spoke with the service manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about, asked for the last 7 of my VIN, checked my vehicle's history with MINI, and told me that to their knowledge they didn't see any record of my vehicle ever being there at a MINI dealership for timing components, told me that I definitely fell within the campaign guidelines, and scheduled me for an appointment for several days later to have everything checked out and completed. I pick up my MINI this upcoming Tuesday.

Sorry you had a bad experience ..

Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by babysarah
I'm not sure when you called .. but as soon as I caught wind of the campaign, I called my local MINI dealership here in Orlando, FL and spoke with the service manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about, asked for the last 7 of my VIN, checked my vehicle's history with MINI, and told me that to their knowledge they didn't see any record of my vehicle ever being there at a MINI dealership for timing components, told me that I definitely fell within the campaign guidelines, and scheduled me for an appointment for several days later to have everything checked out and completed. I pick up my MINI this upcoming Tuesday.

Sorry you had a bad experience ..
I called them about 4 or 5 months ago. We had already moved to Arkansas, and our independent MINI garage told us there was a recall. You give me some hope that things are progressing, and I'll try again.

Quick Reply: R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall