R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No offense, but I think some of y'all need to chill a bit. It's not a Gull-Wing Mercedes, after all! Go over the car with the SA before you hand over the keys, and check again when it's ready to drive out. Don't wash if you're worried.

My guess is the time includes cooling down, like Richardsperry says. It took me about 2 1/2 hours, and I did wait on it. Take a good book along, or work on your laptop, and even 4 or 5 hours isn't any big deal. I only live about 20 minutes from my dealer, but I hate rental cars, even MINI loaner/rental cars, and it just chops up my day too much to go back and forth. I'd rather just work in one spot.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 That's the way I am. Bring it and wait.
Actually, on this occasion I left it overnight so they could also install
my intercooler, torque arm mount inserts, and discharge pipe, along with the recall.
Even at all that, they called me at 12 noon and said it was done.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I leave it overnight all the time. I usually drop it off after work, get their shuttle home, drive my Jeep to work the next day, come home, have their shuttle pick me up, and I pick up my serviced Mini. I do a good walk around, look under the hood and look inside for any damage. They did dent my hood one time, they tried to blame me but their own incoming inspection didn't show a dent so in the end they fixed it (paintless dent repair).

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't wait for the 'notice' that may never come. Just go in and get the recall done. I heard about it in February and I wasn't able to get my MCS in until the end of March (dealers must fix/repair new cars before they can be sold).

Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM
azn_redneck
1st Gear
The Mini went in for surgery today. They also did a couple of other maintenance items per the condition based service requirements - the car is apparently still qualifies for free maintenance. Nice. I like this car a lot.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rudeboim3
warranty expired in september last year. i noticed it around 3 months ago. i spoke to the dealer about the issue when i first spotted it. no, i am not a member of a local club and i don't know any other mini owners in cincinnati. i have owned the car for around 7 months now.
i will tell you this... the cincinnati dealers did give me a run around to get stuff repaired under warranty where as the other dealers in nearby cities such as dayton, columbus, indiana and kentucky were way more helpful. each dealer treats first time customers different.
There is no Mini dealer in Dayton

I tried to buy from the Mini dealer in Cincy

I did not like how I was treated and went to Columbus

Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
GorillaArms
1st Gear
My 08' is currently at Sewell in Plano being mended. They did the recall update and performed a service due to the tragic death rattle timing chain issue. Unfortunately, my ecu [no mods to the car at all] doesn't want to take the new programming. They sent a "puma" ticket into Mini core engineering to see what the next steps are. Not fun, but I would rather it be done right then hastily taking delivery.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So I had my recall done and I noticed a loss of power from the car. Its not stuttering or shaking. Just doesnt pull like before and the thottle response is a second or two slow. I sent an email to mini and they are going to look at it on wed. No cels were showing on the dash. I will have to check my scanguage to see if any codes are in there. But the car is dissappointing to drive now.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AAONMS
Mine is a 2011, built mid-December 2010.
A couple of weeks ago, Tom Bush in Jacksonville checked my car when I was there to purchase a couple of parts.
They scanned the key and reported that there is no recall for the water pump listed for my car.
I thought it a bit strange, but went with it.
Now, I am really beginning to wonder.
Then again, maybe this is a good thing as I get to keep the non-hissing pump.
If you haven't already you should go back and let them check for the recall again! I went to my local MINI dealership back in March because of hearing about the recall (I didn't get a recall notice either regarding our clubby) The service rep check the key fob and stated there wasn't any recall but told me that my first schedule service is due in May.

So now it's almost the end of May and still no service indicator so I decided to drop by the dealer again to check and surprised it flagged my car for the aux water pump recall!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the dealer does the water pump recall do they flush the system?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Tee Tang
Neutral
Originally Posted by Tee Tang
Here is the picture of Additional Water Pump with part number.
Originally Posted by mini on
When the dealer does the water pump recall do they flush the system?
Not 100% flush, just refilled (50/50 mix) for the loss coolant which took about one bottle of the coolant. Next, air breeding through the breeding screw to make sure no airlock in the system.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Scott Senjiro Ohara
Neutral
Im curious. My water pump just went bad and I had it replaced. I know my vehicle had the parts replaced during the recall. Im wondering if since the water pump needed to be replaced after a year that it should be payed for by the dealership

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scott Senjiro Ohara
Im curious. My water pump just went bad and I had it replaced. I know my vehicle had the parts replaced during the recall. Im wondering if since the water pump needed to be replaced after a year that it should be payed for by the dealership
You paid for it yourself? If so, ask, but don't count on it. My letter for the fuel pump says that they will pay on a case-by-case basis if it's done any place other than the dealer. You may have to appeal directly to MINI USA.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
speeddriven85
Neutral
Originally Posted by Scott Senjiro Ohara
Make sure your referring to the same water pump.. The R56 Cooper S has an Aux Water pump that is electric and cools the turbo only.. This is the one that was "recalled" for replacement.. If your mechanical water pump that cools the engine failed thats completely seperate and wouldnt be covered unless you had it replace less than 2 years ago.. Hope this helps!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Kelly Paananen
Neutral
FRUSTRATED with Recall

I am new to this forum and have found it quite helpful. I am the second owner of my 2009 S Clubman. Which I have only had since August 1, 2012. I received the recall notice just this week. I live nowhere near a MINI dealer and have had gotten the runaround from MINI of Murray (the closest dealer in UTAH 700 miles roundtrip), MINIUSA, MINI roadside assistance.

They REFUSE to reimburse me to have the recall repair done at reputable MINI/BMW or European car repair shop in town. It's a $265 repair! But they were willing to have my MINI towed to UTAH, repaired there and then I'd be on the hook for towing it back 350 Miles which would cost way more than the repair itself as well as me being without a car for a week or more.

I am at a loss here. Initially MINI roadside said they'd tow it to UT, then pay for the first 250 miles to tow back to Boise and I'd pay the difference and I could work that out with the towing co. My car WAS taken on a flatbed truck Weds. the night before Thanksgiving and I assumed it would be on it's way to being fixed in Utah next week and then sent back to me. Only to get a call from the tow truck guy this morning saying the PO for the tow was cancelled. My MINI will be returned to me today at no cost for the towing, courtesy of MINI. Gee, thanks.

I am beyond FURIOUS. I just want the stupid fix done and to be reimbursed for it without all this hassle.

Attached Thumbnails NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall-mini.jpg  

Last edited by Kelly Paananen; 11-23-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kelly Paananen
I am new to this forum and have found it quite helpful. I am the second owner of my 2009 S Clubman. Which I have only had since August 1, 2012. I received the recall notice just this week. I live nowhere near a MINI dealer and have had gotten the runaround from MINI of Murray (the closest dealer in UTAH 700 miles roundtrip), MINIUSA, MINI roadside assistance.

They REFUSE to reimburse me to have the recall repair done at reputable MINI/BMW or European car repair shop in town. It's a $265 repair! But they were willing to have my MINI towed to UTAH, repaired there and then I'd be on the hook for towing it back 350 Miles which would cost way more than the repair itself as well as me being without a car for a week or more.

I am at a loss here. Initially MINI roadside said they'd tow it to UT, then pay for the first 250 miles to tow back to Boise and I'd pay the difference and I could work that out with the towing co. My car WAS taken on a flatbed truck Weds. the night before Thanksgiving and I assumed it would be on it's way to being fixed in Utah next week and then sent back to me. Only to get a call from the tow truck guy this morning saying the PO for the tow was cancelled. My MINI will be returned to me today at no cost for the towing, courtesy of MINI. Gee, thanks.

I am beyond FURIOUS. I just want the stupid fix done and to be reimbursed for it without all this hassle.
Boy, that sounds like a run-around. It sounds to me like you need to go higher on the corporate food chain. For one thing, MINI towing isn't really involved. What is involved (and remember, this is MY opinion), is that you're just trying to get the recall taken care of. Because it IS a recall based on a safety issue, I think you need to call MINI USA CORPORATE (New Jersey) and let them know what's going on; also speak to the BMW/MINI District Manager. Tell them you are happy to have a local repair shop do the job, and assuming they are capable of doing it, that ought to be okay with them. If MINI USA says no, then they should be on the hook for the tow, both ways, or for finding an alternative shop. I would calmly but firmly remind them that this is also a Federal matter, and assure them that you will inform the Department of Transportation and NHTSA if there is any further lack of cooperation on MINI's part.

Be sure to get names, document all calls, save all letters, etc., that pertain to this recall. Is there any warranty or extended warranty left?

Worst case scenario is that you'll have to have a lawyer involved, and you can tell MINI USA that you'll "turn it over to my attorney" if necessary. Never mind that you don't actually have an attorney--the mere mention will probably do the trick. Chances are, though, it will never get to this point.

If the car was purchased through a dealer or used car lot, that may enter into it, too, as a Federal safety recall is involved.

Remember, MINI Roadside Assistance really isn't relevent. What IS important is the fact that it is a Federal safety recall. Oh, and you might mention (use this only if necessary) that there is a website with thousands of US owners now watching your particular situation and how it's being handled!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Kelly Paananen
Neutral
Success!

After much persistence I was happy to receive a call from MINI Usa regarding my issue. Long story short, they paid to tow my MINI to Utah to the dealer and no charge, provided me a rental car which they said they would reimburse me for and paid to tow it back to me. All in 3 days! The MINI passed the inspection for the recall repair and I "should" be receiving some compensation back for what I paid out of pocket for the repair, likely the parts only. Still, that $176 for just the part.

If only they would have done this in the first place it would have save a lot of time and effort--and MONEY. We'll see how long it takes to get the reimbursement, I was told about 30 days.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kelly Paananen
After much persistence I was happy to receive a call from MINI Usa regarding my issue. Long story short, they paid to tow my MINI to Utah to the dealer and no charge, provided me a rental car which they said they would reimburse me for and paid to tow it back to me. All in 3 days! The MINI passed the inspection for the recall repair and I "should" be receiving some compensation back for what I paid out of pocket for the repair, likely the parts only. Still, that $176 for just the part.

If only they would have done this in the first place it would have save a lot of time and effort--and MONEY. We'll see how long it takes to get the reimbursement, I was told about 30 days.
Congratulations! Persistence pays, doesn't it?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM
big.mini.sam
2nd Gear
got my 2010 MCS about a month ago, from carmax in kenosha wisconsin., less then 30 days after buying it, the CEL came on, so i took it in to have it checked out, the replaced the aux water pump free of charge, as well as a few lights i hadn't asked for, i love carmax. and my MCS, "Hermione"

Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by big.mini.sam
got my 2010 MCS about a month ago, from carmax in kenosha wisconsin., less then 30 days after buying it, the CEL came on, so i took it in to have it checked out, the replaced the aux water pump free of charge, as well as a few lights i hadn't asked for, i love carmax. and my MCS, "Hermione"
I also purchased my MCS from Carmax and even before buying it I checked the service records before my 5-Day money back guarantee, was replaced 3000 miles ago.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi Guys -- Did I miss the part where they go over exactly what they are replacing and how it's going to solve the car-b-que issue?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 PM
rac427
3rd Gear
Hi everyone!

I have an 2007 R56 and I purchase it at April 2012 as a second hand from a dealer(not a MINi dealer tho). I never received any letter from MINI regarding the recall.
I took my car to MINI for service today and they said I need my water pump replaced and they quote me $700 to do that. I am suppose to pick the car up tomorrow(yea... And pay!:( ) I there anyway that I can let them check and see if my car is being recalled?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rac427
Hi everyone!

I have an 2007 R56 and I purchase it at April 2012 as a second hand from a dealer(not a MINi dealer tho). I never received any letter from MINI regarding the recall.
I took my car to MINI for service today and they said I need my water pump replaced and they quote me $700 to do that. I am suppose to pick the car up tomorrow(yea... And pay!:( ) I there anyway that I can let them check and see if my car is being recalled?
All the dealer has to do is "read" the key. The machine will determine what--if any--recalls are in order, as well as other information. Recall status has nothing to do with where you purchased the car or from whom. The NTSA site may also list the VIN range, too.

Make sure the dealer has your contact information--if no one contacted MINI to let them know ownership had changed, they have no way to contact YOU.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
rac427
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb

All the dealer has to do is "read" the key. The machine will determine what--if any--recalls are in order, as well as other information. Recall status has nothing to do with where you purchased the car or from whom. The NTSA site may also list the VIN range, too.

Make sure the dealer has your contact information--if no one contacted MINI to let them know ownership had changed, they have no way to contact YOU.
Thanks for the reply!
The dealer did read my key but they didnt mentioned anything about recall.
I have register in owner Lounge and I think I saw my info when they read my key but I never received anything from mini regarding the recall.
Is it mean that my car is not part of the recall mini? :(

Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rac427
Thanks for the reply!
The dealer did read my key but they didnt mentioned anything about recall.
I have register in owner Lounge and I think I saw my info when they read my key but I never received anything from mini regarding the recall.
Is it mean that my car is not part of the recall mini? :(
Sounds like it, but why don't you just ask your SA?

Quick Reply: R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall