R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amirs4
Question, I had my water pump fail at 55K miles and this recall would have been nice then, do you think there is a chance to recoop money spent on a failed water pump?
I'm no mechanic, but I was told it's the "auxiliary water pump" that is under recall. Is that what you replaced?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amirs4
Question, I had my water pump fail at 55K miles and this recall would have been nice then, do you think there is a chance to recoop money spent on a failed water pump?
I'm still waiting on a recall letter and I'm not sure if their fix actually includes replacement of the entire water pump or just a part of it.
Need to find out exactly what the fix is. I'm sure someone out here has had it done to date. Maybe they can tell us. If it is the entire pump, you may have some recourse but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This recall is only for the auxiliary (second) water pump for the turbo specifically. And, if I read it correctly, specifically for the electrical part of the pump, though the whole pump gets replaced (?).

So if your aux water pump failed, you can make a case for reimbursement. If the electrical part of it failed, you have a stronger case. If it was your main water pump (or you have a Justa instead of an S or a JCW, or your car is too old or too new for the recall) you are SOL.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Didn't realize there were actually 2 water pumps, aux and main. This explains it. I was under the impression it's only the electrical part that is replaced but not sure.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I don't believe the "main" water pump was replaced when I had my recall done. I was told it was just for the auxiliary pump. And that while the only defect is actually a circult board, the board is inside the aux pump, hence the replacement of the entire part.

Again, I'm not a mechanic, just going on what I've heard. Why don't you call the dealer?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I knew someone would step in that had it done and set us straight.
Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
I knew someone would step in that had it done and set us straight.
Thanks
Happy to help, just hope I'm accurate.

Hey, did you wave when I passed through your area a couple of weeks ago?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I haven't gotten my recall yet, but my dealership went ahead and did my recall (and my regular maintenance while I was there). I got a call that afternoon, turns out the aux pump housing had melted, so they had to replace that as well (when they saw that, they gave my car look over with a fine tooth comb). It took them another day as they had to get the parts in (I had a loaner). When I got her back, and headed home, I found the heat was blowing cold air until I got to about 40 mph, when the heat would kick on. Back to MINI. They threw me in another loaner and fixed it. It was, indeed, a bubble in the cooling system, which is a sealed system. So they bled it, tested it to make sure it heated and sent me on my way (it was a little disconcerting having cold air blow on me when it was 22 degrees out).
I mention the last part as I believe someone said they were having heat problems.

All in all, the recall is easy UNLESS you have to have additional parts (like I did) in which case they have to order them. Parts are overnighted, but still... My dealership did a great job, but they always take good care of me, and go the extra mile. Hope y'all have an easy time of it too (just a hint, get other service work done at the same time, make the app't and get a loaner...)

Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Tee Tang
Neutral
Here is the picture of Additional Water Pump with part number.

Attached Thumbnails NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall-additional-water-pump.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
My dealership did a great job, but they always take good care of me, and go the extra mile. Hope y'all have an easy time of it too (just a hint, get other service work done at the same time, make the app't and get a loaner...)
Who's your dealer? I'm expecting to move to Arkansas, and they don't have a dealer. Any info about the Memphis dealer?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
AlbanyRocs
2nd Gear
sorry that i didn't read all of the 7 pages so this may have been covered already.....does this replacement of the water pump effect your gas mileage? what are the downsides?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Happy to help, just hope I'm accurate.

Hey, did you wave when I passed through your area a couple of weeks ago?
If you passed me somewhere down here, I'm sure I would have waved. I do to every Mini I see regardless if they wave back or not. Most do, however.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AlbanyRocs
sorry that i didn't read all of the 7 pages so this may have been covered already.....does this replacement of the water pump effect your gas mileage? what are the downsides?
Shouldn't have any impact on your gas mileage.
It's the aux. water pump to the turbo.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
If you passed me somewhere down here, I'm sure I would have waved. I do to every Mini I see regardless if they wave back or not. Most do, however.
You're lucky. Around here I rarely get a wave--too many in the Houston area. I always get waves in Florida, though, and in other states.

You'd recognize my car if you saw it. The photo in my signature was taken before the side graphics were put on--Carerra font "Turbo" in white on the red doors!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AlbanyRocs
I've seen no downside--no effects at all, for that matter. If you don't have it done, there's a small (exceedingly small) chance you could have a fire. I don't like fires in my cars.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In this recall, will the dealer bleed and replace the coolant (coolant flush), too?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cccplus
In this recall, will the dealer bleed and replace the coolant (coolant flush), too?
They won't do a full flush but top off any lost coolant and probably do a pressure test as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They won't do a full flush but top off any lost coolant and probably do a pressure test as well.
Correct, they top off what ends up on the ground.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mini of Baltimore just did this for my car. I hadn't gotten the letter yet, but they knew it was coming. About 1.5 hrs, waiting in the showroom, kicking tires... I can think of worse was to spend time.

Black JCW coupe with red roof and stripes is so cool looking, but DAMN! $39K??? For $10K more you could buy a 1M...

Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rudeboim3
So if someone has a faulty water pump issue, what symptoms are we looking for?
If you have a faulty aux water pump (subject of the current recall) you'll get a CEL telling you something is amiss, if you have bad luck you'll also see smoke and flames coming from under your hood.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
...if you have bad luck you'll also see smoke and flames coming from under your hood.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
My understanding is there have only been like 12 fires caused by the issue. That's a pretty low % compared to the amount of Mini's out there.
I saw the other day Toyota is looking at some fire issues as well so we're not the only ones with troubles.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
BEFCo
1st Gear
My understanding is there have only been like 12 fires caused by the issue. That's a pretty low % compared to the amount of Mini's out there.
I saw the other day Toyota is looking at some fire issues as well so we're not the only ones with troubles.
Modern cars seem to have a lot of problems, whatever the maker. For me I simply enjoy the hell out of my MINI, so I take all the negative shtuff in stride (I know right?!?).

Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BEFCo
Modern cars seem to have a lot of problems, whatever the maker. For me I simply enjoy the hell out of my MINI, so I take all the negative shtuff in stride (I know right?!?).
Remember the Pantera sports car, back in the 70's? A friend of mine bought one, brand new, and was driving it home. He had a brake lock up on him out in the middle of nowhere and start a fire, but he had no fire extinguisher. Er, well, actually, he did have one. One that relies on a previously-ingested supply of Coke or ice tea.

It worked. Really.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BEFCo
Me too. All the negative stuff does make you a little paronoid but also makes me more proactive in my daily/weekly maintenance programs.
My wife has a 2011 Nissan Juke (cool car and turbo) and it's already had a recall on the turbo. Something about a line that could come loose. Fixed it and so far ok.

Quick Reply: R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall