R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:32 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEFINITELY try again. It was not official several months ago, and JUST became official as of mid-October. Give it a whirl.

The service manager told me this about the process ..

- If they haven't already, the dealership will pull the VIN to check the history and see if timing components have ever been changed before.
- They will inspect the timing chain slack.
- If it still has the old part number, they will replace all of the timing components.
- If you have an updated or newer part number, it falls outside of the service campaign.
- If you have issues with newer components or fall outside the campaign range, how dealerships handle that is at their discretion.

They will also be doing the heat shield for my MCS as well - that is under a recall right now.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by babysarah
DEFINITELY try again. It was not official several months ago, and JUST became official as of mid-October. Give it a whirl.

The service manager told me this about the process ..

- If they haven't already, the dealership will pull the VIN to check the history and see if timing components have ever been changed before.
- They will inspect the timing chain slack.
- If it still has the old part number, they will replace all of the timing components.
- If you have an updated or newer part number, it falls outside of the service campaign.
- If you have issues with newer components or fall outside the campaign range, how dealerships handle that is at their discretion.

They will also be doing the heat shield for my MCS as well - that is under a recall right now.
Okay, I called MINI USA today. They said that yes, my car was included, no, it wasn't an actual recall, and yes, some dealers are doing the work or reimbursing for work previously done on a "case-by-case" basis. I called the dealership that did the work, but the manager was unavailable. I try again tomorrow, or email him. I consider him a friend, as I was president of the Houston club for a couple of years and we worked together on some club activities. Since his mechanics said I needed the work to be done, and his dealership did the work, hopefully it won't be difficult to get them to agree to reimburse me.

I still haven't gotten a letter about it. The MINI USA lady said they started going out in October, and they do have my new address, so hopefully that won't delay anything. The good thing was that my car was confirmed to be covered by the service bulletin (don't call it a recall!).

Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked the Scottsdale dealer a long time ago about this recall, was told I didn't qualify. When Trigger was in recently, they fixed this problem! Now it doesn't sound like an old pickup when starting on a cold morning.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
I asked the Scottsdale dealer a long time ago about this recall, was told I didn't qualify. When Trigger was in recently, they fixed this problem! Now it doesn't sound like an old pickup when starting on a cold morning.
Who paid? Or was it still under warranty?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Who paid? Or was it still under warranty?
Good question, I bought it used, got the extended warranty.
BUT, I did receive this letter soon after they fixed it. Service manager said it was a "campaign".

Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Got my letter today!

I also spoke to the manager at the dealer where I purchased it new, and he's starting the ball rolling. Sure would be nice to get a refund check...

Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM
R56typeS
2nd Gear
Got my notice in the mail today for the timing chain, but my situation is somewhat complicated. Last summer I started getting the timing chain rattle, and when I took the car in they told me how bad it sounded and it needed to get fixed ASAP for 1200 bucks. I went home and installed the new timing chain tensioner myself and its been fine till recently when its started to get cold out and the rattle is back, though only slightly.

The car has just under 100k miles now, so I imagine the chain has stretched a fair bit, but since I put in the new tensioner myself, will they try to get out of doing a full parts swap?

I also need a thermostat and turbo oil feed line put in, what are the chances they'll do it cheaper since they'll already have most of the engine apart and the labor for it will have been done for the timing chain (assuming they do it)?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:40 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R56typeS
Got my notice in the mail today for the timing chain, but my situation is somewhat complicated. Last summer I started getting the timing chain rattle, and when I took the car in they told me how bad it sounded and it needed to get fixed ASAP for 1200 bucks. I went home and installed the new timing chain tensioner myself and its been fine till recently when its started to get cold out and the rattle is back, though only slightly.

The car has just under 100k miles now, so I imagine the chain has stretched a fair bit, but since I put in the new tensioner myself, will they try to get out of doing a full parts swap?

I also need a thermostat and turbo oil feed line put in, what are the chances they'll do it cheaper since they'll already have most of the engine apart and the labor for it will have been done for the timing chain (assuming they do it)?
I guess it will depend on your relationship with the dealer management. It's strange that this isn't being done through MINI USA, but on a "case-by-case" basis through the dealer. I've seen good dealers...and bad. I think the one I bought the car from, who also did this work, is one of the good ones. If not, I'll report that here.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Pirate007
2nd Gear
Got my recall notice on my 2008 S recently... Thought I'd report in my results.

While I live in Asheville, NC.. I had a biz meeting in Nashville, Tn the following week so I called Mini of Nashville, set up an appointment, and told them I needed a loaner car while in town. They explained they would open her up and evaluate the situation then replace the timing chain if necessary.. Upon drop-off, he looked up my car and also found another recall notice was pending regarding putting a heat shield over an oil line so they'd take of that while I had it in. Cool

I dropped off the car at 9am on a Tuesday was told the car would be ready by end of day. They provided a Mini loaner. Late in the day they called and told me that A. the timing chain did need to be replaced and B. The car would NOT be ready until 11am the next day. I had planned on leaving town before noon anyway so the delay was fine with me as long as the car was fixed correctly...

The next morning I showed up at precisely 11am and (I'm not kidding).. I turned over the loaner, signed the paperwork, was handed my keys, and was out the door in under 4 minutes. Cost to me.. $0. Stellar service from Mini Of Nashville. They even washed it for me. Sweet. They mentioned that in order to replace the timing chain they had to drain and replace with all new oil.

It's been about 3 weeks now and the car is so much quieter now.. This is my first Mini and I had just assumed the noisy timing chain was just part of the eccentric charm of Minis.. kinda like clunky shifting on BMW motorcycles.. I was wrong... the engine hums now.. a night and day difference.. Mongo happy..

Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
An update on my reimbursement. First, to recap, I had the work done by my original selling dealer exactly a year ago (tomorrow!), before my move to Arkansas. I did so partly because the chain was noisy, partly to prevent worse problems, and partly because I was moving to a place where there was no dealer, and I didn't know who could service MINIs. I paid for it myself, well over $1300.

After establishing a relationship with an independent garage in Little Rock, I was told that MINI was starting to reimburse for this work. I called MINI USA and was referred back to the dealer who did the work, saying that it was on a case-by-case basis, by the dealers themselves.

Now comes the gotcha. No one's denying that I had the work done on my nickel, or that it was done at a MINI dealer. My car does fall into the service campaign (not a recall) parameters. Reimbursement is apparently in my future, but FIRST, I was told I have to have the car inspected by a dealer to make sure the "right parts" were used last December. The person I spoke to in Houston said that the part has been redesigned 4 times--not sure exactly which part she meant--and she didn't know which was used in my car's servicing. We'll have a dealer opening in Little Rock within the next few months, and it makes more sense to wait, rather than to drive 800 miles round trip to the dealer who did the work, or 400 miles round trip to the current nearest dealership, in Memphis.

So, I'm not real happy about the delay. What happens if the "right part" wasn't used? Will they reimburse me for the work that was previously done, as well as what is needed to make things right? Why not cut a check to reimburse for what I already paid, with the knowledge that it also needs an inspection for this and also for the turbo shielding?

Thoughts, anyone?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
An update on my reimbursement. First, to recap, I had the work done by my original selling dealer exactly a year ago (tomorrow!), before my move to Arkansas. I did so partly because the chain was noisy, partly to prevent worse problems, and partly because I was moving to a place where there was no dealer, and I didn't know who could service MINIs. I paid for it myself, well over $1300.

After establishing a relationship with an independent garage in Little Rock, I was told that MINI was starting to reimburse for this work. I called MINI USA and was referred back to the dealer who did the work, saying that it was on a case-by-case basis, by the dealers themselves.

Now comes the gotcha. No one's denying that I had the work done on my nickel, or that it was done at a MINI dealer. My car does fall into the service campaign (not a recall) parameters. Reimbursement is apparently in my future, but FIRST, I was told I have to have the car inspected by a dealer to make sure the "right parts" were used last December. The person I spoke to in Houston said that the part has been redesigned 4 times--not sure exactly which part she meant--and she didn't know which was used in my car's servicing. We'll have a dealer opening in Little Rock within the next few months, and it makes more sense to wait, rather than to drive 800 miles round trip to the dealer who did the work, or 400 miles round trip to the current nearest dealership, in Memphis.

So, I'm not real happy about the delay. What happens if the "right part" wasn't used? Will they reimburse me for the work that was previously done, as well as what is needed to make things right? Why not cut a check to reimburse for what I already paid, with the knowledge that it also needs an inspection for this and also for the turbo shielding?

Thoughts, anyone?
I called Mini USA about my reimbursement and was also referred to my local dealer, said to come in and present the dealer with my receipt and less than two weeks later had my check in my mail box! Now that Mini USA is acknowledging that there is indeed a defective component in the timing chain components they are now fully responsible for any out of pocket expense.

If the right part wasn't used and the dealer is the one who installed it that makes the dealer and Mini USA responsible, if done at a non-dealership that changes things!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I called Mini USA about my reimbursement and was also referred to my local dealer, said to come in and present the dealer with my receipt and less than two weeks later had my check in my mail box! Now that Mini USA is acknowledging that there is indeed a defective component in the timing chain components they are now fully responsible for any out of pocket expense.

If the right part wasn't used and the dealer is the one who installed it that makes the dealer and Mini USA responsible, if done at a non-dealership that changes things!
Who was your local dealer, Systemlord? How recently was the work done, and did you have to go through any hoops, like an inspection?

The work was indeed done at a dealership--the one that sold me the car back in 2007--and I do have the receipt. In fact, they even emailed me a copy of the receipt, so I know they have it, too! I don't know who's ultimately paying for this "campaign," but I notice that the person I spoke to suggested that the as-yet-unopened dealer in Little Rock could give me the reimbursement. Seems like passing the buck.

After thinking about it, I'm going to go higher in the food chain. I don't personally know the person I spoke to on the phone, but I DO know the dealer manager, and the guy above him. I'll have a chat with the manager next.

I'll keep you posted!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
After having the car in the shop last week for another round of MINI problems, today the CEL came on and the car went into limp mode. I "limped" to the dealership and told the SA that I thought it was the HPFP, which she said "wasn't likely" and that it was probably carbon buildup. Well, three hours later, I get a call that the computer programming at the dealership found the HPFP was failing. According to the dealership "no buildup was present" but I doubt the even looked. This is just another chapter of my never-ending saga of problems with this car. For a 2011 Cooper S to have been in the shop nearly as many days, as it has been drivable, I feel MINI is at fault for their crappy manufacturing. I've really thought about demanding a Buy-Back from MINIUSA, but I'm almost positive the wouldn't do anything except tell me to keep taking it to the dealership over and over. It's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
After having the car in the shop last week for another round of MINI problems, today the CEL came on and the car went into limp mode. I "limped" to the dealership and told the SA that I thought it was the HPFP, which she said "wasn't likely" and that it was probably carbon buildup. Well, three hours later, I get a call that the computer programming at the dealership found the HPFP was failing. According to the dealership "no buildup was present" but I doubt the even looked. This is just another chapter of my never-ending saga of problems with this car. For a 2011 Cooper S to have been in the shop nearly as many days, as it has been drivable, I feel MINI is at fault for their crappy manufacturing. I've really thought about demanding a Buy-Back from MINIUSA, but I'm almost positive the wouldn't do anything except tell me to keep taking it to the dealership over and over. It's crazy.

Does your state have a "lemon law"? If so, does your car qualify? If it does, it wouldn't be up to MINI USA, it would be up to the law to cover this situation.

Hope you get this settled. I haven't had anything like this, but I can understand your frustration.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Does your state have a "lemon law"? If so, does your car qualify? If it does, it wouldn't be up to MINI USA, it would be up to the law to cover this situation. Hope you get this settled. I haven't had anything like this, but I can understand your frustration.
They do have a lemon law, but I've been in contact with MINIUSA from the beginning about all of my issues. I'm hoping that someone I know at BMW corporate might be able to help me in this frustrating time.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
They do have a lemon law, but I've been in contact with MINIUSA from the beginning about all of my issues. I'm hoping that someone I know at BMW corporate might be able to help me in this frustrating time.

So, why not file under it? I'm not familiar with your case, but it seems to me this is what it's for. The fact that you've been in contact with MINI USA should be in your favor--you've already tried everything that they've asked--and if you're still having problems, sounds like it's time to formally declare this car a lemon. I'm assuming you're correct when you say that it's been in the shop for about the same number of days that it's been driveable.

Don't count on BMW corporate to read these boards--I've never seen any evidence that they do. I would, however, reference the statements you've made, just so they know that the MINI world is watching for their response.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate it when the SA or techs start guessing at what might be the problem, it's your wallet their playing with. They need to check the ECU for codes before opening their mouths! A part of me is wishing I never bought a Mini Cooper S, but now that I have put so much money into it, I'm committed. I don't see myself walking away from it.

1. Timing Chain Failure.
2. Valve Cover.
3. Thermostat Housing
4. Soon Fuel Pump In Gas Tank making spinning shaft screech almost like it's rusted.

Who was your local dealer, Systemlord? How recently was the work done, and did you have to go through any hoops, like an inspection?

The work was indeed done at a dealership--the one that sold me the car back in 2007--and I do have the receipt. In fact, they even emailed me a copy of the receipt, so I know they have it, too! I don't know who's ultimately paying for this "campaign," but I notice that the person I spoke to suggested that the as-yet-unopened dealer in Little Rock could give me the reimbursement. Seems like passing the buck.

After thinking about it, I'm going to go higher in the food chain. I don't personally know the person I spoke to on the phone, but I DO know the dealer manager, and the guy above him. I'll have a chat with the manager next.

I'll keep you posted!
Irvine Mini in California.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I hate it when the SA or techs start guessing at what might be the problem, it's your wallet their playing with. They need to check the ECU for codes before opening their mouths! A part of me is wishing I never bought a Mini Cooper S, but now that I have put so much money into it, I'm committed. I don't see myself walking away from it. 1. Timing Chain Failure. 2. Valve Cover. 3. Thermostat Housing 4. Soon Fuel Pump In Gas Tank making spinning shaft screech almost like it's rusted. Irvine Mini in California.
I know it sounds a little overboard, but I sent BMW GROUP DEUTSCHLAND an email stating my dissatisfaction with my car, and hope that they would do something to rectify my issues. I got a response from MINIUSA within a couple of days, and they sent an engineer to look at my car, but my car has still had issues. Maybe you could do the same thing, but hopefully you'll have better luck and getting somewhere with your issues. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Snake20
1st Gear
Timing Chain Reimbursement

My experiece so far with reimbursement...I recently had to take my 08 MCS to the dealer due to electrical issues and they informed me of the ongoing campaign for the timing chain/ tensioners. I had previously had the timing chain fix done in January 2012 so I decided to try to get reimbursement to offset some of the damage from the electrical fix. As it stands right now I'm being denied reimbursement because there isn't sufficient maintenance record for oil changes. I had bought the car in Oct 2011 with about 51K on it from a non-Mini dealer; by Jan 2012 I had the car at the Mini dealer to do a timing chain. According to Mini the last service record they have before the timing chain fix at 57K was at 35K. Because of this 22K mile gap in service history, specifically between oil changes, I won’t be reimbursed. I'm in the process of trying to dig up as much info as I can from the dealer I purchased the car from but I don’t have high hopes. Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Snake20
My experiece so far with reimbursement...I recently had to take my 08 MCS to the dealer due to electrical issues and they informed me of the ongoing campaign for the timing chain/ tensioners. I had previously had the timing chain fix done in January 2012 so I decided to try to get reimbursement to offset some of the damage from the electrical fix. As it stands right now I'm being denied reimbursement because there isn't sufficient maintenance record for oil changes. I had bought the car in Oct 2011 with about 51K on it from a non-Mini dealer; by Jan 2012 I had the car at the Mini dealer to do a timing chain. According to Mini the last service record they have before the timing chain fix at 57K was at 35K. Because of this 22K mile gap in service history, specifically between oil changes, I won’t be reimbursed. I'm in the process of trying to dig up as much info as I can from the dealer I purchased the car from but I don’t have high hopes. Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.
Do you have any evidence that the oil was changed? Receipts? Window stickers? Anything from the seller or the previous owner? There's nothing that requires you to change the oil at a DEALER, especially since it was a used car in the first place.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I would just like to say that Mini took good care of us. We are the second owner of an 09 MCS, with no service records of any kind at 95k. Car was covered by the campaign, they gave us a new loaner and had our car about 3 days. New timing chain set, tensioner, aux water pump, turbo heat shield, all at no charge. Rattle is gone and I have peace of mind!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Update: STILL no reimbursement from MINI of The Woodlands. I'm frankly disappointed in them. The word is still that I have to get it inspected by a dealer, and since the closest one currently is a couple of hundred miles away in Memphis, I'll wait until April when Little Rock gets a brand new dealership. I'm angry that I have to do that. Frankly, it's irrelevant, because the original work was done at MINI of The Woodlands (Houston area), and they even sent me a copy of the bill. All the new dealer is going to do is verify that the right parts were used, but even if they weren't, that doesn't negate the original mega-buck payment I've already made to MINI of The Woodlands!

It's been over a year since the work was done, and I could use the money. MINI USA should handle this, not the dealer, and MINI of The Woodlands should have cut the check as soon as the service campaign was released. P1SS poor customer relations on the part of both entities, as far as I'm concerned.

Up until now I haven't released the name of the dealership, but I'm doing so now. I don't deserve the runaround I've gotten.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Sounds like that dealer doesn't care, you should try posting a negative review on google maps and cars.com. Go higher up the food chain, negative press is the only thing they understand. It really sucks that the dealers are not consistent for the reimbursement.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zrickety
Sounds like that dealer doesn't care, you should try posting a negative review on google maps and cars.com. Go higher up the food chain, negative press is the only thing they understand. It really sucks that the dealers are not consistent for the reimbursement.
Actually, I sent an email to the manager (who I know pretty well), and referenced the thread. The reimbursement information isn't coming from him, it's from higher up. He replied immediately, and said he's going to see what he can do with HIS higher ups.

As I pointed out, I've got a MINI and my 5th BMW side by side in my garage, so there's an incentive there to make it right at the corporate level.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What production dates does this timing chain 'campaign' cover?

I'm picking up a 01/2010 production MCS tomorrow and immediately taking it to the nearest dealer to be checked out.

Quick Reply: R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall