R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rearended Today

Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Fufon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearended Today

Horrible way to start my first post, but I was rearended today by a cavalier at about 25-30 MPH. Just got my Clubman S about 2 months ago and absolutely in love with the car. External damage does not look bad (bumper is very messed up) but when I opened the rear door to take some stuff out I noticed that the floor in the back wasn't lying flat. Pulled up the floor cover to the wheel well and noticed he styrofoam was cracked in half and the well was bent up. What are the chances that this is totaled? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM
jacquesew
3rd Gear
Oh! I'm so sorry Fufon! I cant help with your question but, I wanted to send my sympathy. I'd be so upset if someone hit my Oliver.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Fufon
1st Gear
I am very sad about it overall, and sore! It's a 2009 dark silver metallic S. I just still can't get over that it happened, but thankfully all involved were ok. It was a hard hit and I'm impressed with how well the car took the hit. Exhaust is very messed up on top of everything else. I just don't like the unknown of if I will have to wait for it to e repaired or start a search for a new Mini. I guess I just needed another outlet to vent in too. Thanks for the sympathy!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Get it in the shop ASAP if the exhaust is damaged. Carbon Monoxide leakage is very likely!

Glad you are OK, and I hope for the best for you.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So sorry to hear. Hope it is fixable.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Fufon
1st Gear
Well she is fixable according to the guy at the body shop. Now my worry is if it wil be the same car once it's fixed as it was previously. I've never been in an accident and have heard bad things about cars once they are fixed following an accident. On the bright side the guy at the shop was very nice and showed me around and how they do everything, seems like a very nice place. Crossing my fingers!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad ur ok... any pics to show damage?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Fufon
1st Gear
Just uploaded some pictures into and album in my gallery here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p/photo/107273

I was just concerned about the damage to the empty spare tire well that can't be seen from these pictures. Doesn't look like there is much more damage to the underside than that, but I'll admit I'm not sure what exactly to look for.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
MightyNuts
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fufon
Just uploaded some pictures into and album in my gallery here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p/photo/107273

I was just concerned about the damage to the empty spare tire well that can't be seen from these pictures. Doesn't look like there is much more damage to the underside than that, but I'll admit I'm not sure what exactly to look for.
Noooo! That makes me sad because your clubman reminds me of mine. My worry is that they will fix things externally on your clubman, but will never get the frame back into shape. Seems that the rear of the frame got pushed in. I've seen a lot worst when it comes to clubmans being rear ended. Hope your insurance could somehow total the car for you so you could get a new one.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Fufon
1st Gear
I was surprised to learn that there is no actual frame of the car anymore, as most cars are built in pieces and welded together. Makes them safer and easier to fix in the case of an accident...all of this according to my contact who took me through everything at the body shop.

As it looks as though it will be repaired I am now considering options for changes on my car, specifically the exhaust as it looks like it will need to be replaced from the cat-back. Has anyone ever had experience trying to get insurance to pay for an aftermarket part as opposed to an OEM part? Also any suggestions of type of exhaust to go for? I'm just looking for something with a little bit nicer note.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Cheerio44
3rd Gear
I'm actually in the same situation as you. I got rear-ended two weeks ago and was supposed to get my car back last week...now it's delayed till Monday cause they had to order the exhaust through mini and it hasn't gotten here yet... -.-

I asked about aftermarket parts, usually they'll go for OEM parts, or refurbed OEM parts (as per the breakdown of what they were replacing) I asked about aftermarket parts, and the part has to be the same price or cheaper, and you'd have to convince the insurance to pay for it...

I have an r53 so I was trying to convince them to change the front bumper (I hit someone in front of me because of the rear-end) to the aero front bumper, and the guy at the body shop just told me that I had to pay the difference, between the parts. It's easier to convince them to change to a different OEM part than a different aftermarket part... for liability, etc.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Fufon
1st Gear
I see, it's worth a shot at least. Anyone know where I can find the price for the OEM exhaust system. I can't seem to find any price on it online.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fufon
I see, it's worth a shot at least. Anyone know where I can find the price for the OEM exhaust system. I can't seem to find any price on it online.
http://mini.sewellparts.com/oem-cata...SLCI-2011.html

Roughly a $1000 from intermediate pipe back, list.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
That doesn't look all that bad. From the photo showing the RHS rear quarter view, the quarter panel on that side isn't buckled. If the other side is straight, you should be fine as far as frame damage is concerned. I've pushed out worse damage than that at home with a Porta-Power. I'm sure a reputable shop will have that back to as-new condition. If it were me, I'd rather keep that car, properly repaired, than go through the hassle of getting another.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:43 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I agree with Blackbomber, doesn't look too bad and does look very fixable.
It is upsetting though.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Fufon
1st Gear
Blackbomber you're right. I would rather keep the car properly repaired than try to find another one that has everything I want on it like this one, just always nervous that it doesn't get properly repaired based on others stories. But the shop I took it to came recommended by the Mini dealer and has great reviews. So all in all everything will be ok, just always fear the worst I guess, especially since I've never been in any sort of accident.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Lasrsktr
Neutral
That doesn't look to bad...

And you are lucky they didn't hit the doors.

here is mine at 17 days old.. Brand new 2011..

I was hit by a range rover and she did about 6800 dollars worth of damage..

Linking to the High Res images so you can see them
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...tr/walter9.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/walter10.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/walter11.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/walter12.jpg

Good luck on getting your baby fixed..

~Steven

Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^Sorry to see that bud. At least it looks to be getting taking care
of nicely. People!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Telegraph
2nd Gear
Looking at the first picture you posted the other day it looks like your Mini came out of it much better than the Cavalier. Interesting pictures of the repair process.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
gepperso
3rd Gear
Insurance Deminished value quote

My parents works at insurance companies for quite a while,
Don't forget to contact your insurance about reduction of your insurance because of what they call "Dimished Value" of the repaired car.
It will now show up in a car fax report, so it is now not worth as much, even though it is repaired, it will not be worth as much.
There usually is a reduction in insurance now..
Food for thought

Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
allmotor1
Neutral
usually upgraded oem bumpers and spoilers are the same price as lower models. So look into the jcw parts.