Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New Tires

Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
New Tires

So the way I buy new tires is this: When driving in the rain scares me, I buy new tires. Today I ordered new tires I have been running Bridgestone RE11s for 3 sets so far. Today I switched to Continental Extremecontact DWs. The reviews look very good. The Bridgestones gave me about 22000 miles at a time. Hoping for that or better, We shall see.

Ivan

Old 09-10-2015, 05:00 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Sounds like you are on the "right track".

Waiting until your tire treads are bald enough to scare you in the wet is not wise since it won't take much to hydroplane in any car when tread depth is much less than 4/32" or just a tad from the tire wear bar indicator which is at 3/32" and definitely at the limit of safety.

In the dry you will be OK but no so in wet conditions even in light rain.

You should be checking tire treads for even wear with each tire rotation at about 4000 miles. This helps you get the most out of each tire and even out the wear which is twice as fast in the front.

Bridgestone RE-11 are Extreme Summer tires good in the dry and in warm weather up to 40 degrees. They aren't so good in the wet especially once the treads are worn down but they are OK. The original RE-11 have been replaced by the RE-11A and recently the RE-71R.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW are Max Summer tires good in both dry and wet and they have a longer treadlife than the RE-11. In addition they are more comfortable riding and have lower noise than the RE-11 or similar Extreme Summer tires.

For most owners of either Cooper S or base Cooper MINIs, Max Summer tires are about the best tires for street use without having to compromise on street comfort and good tire life. You can get more grip and better handling from Extreme Summer tires but they likely will wear out in as little as 12 months or 12,000 miles if that long, they tend to be firm riding and can be noisy. All are good in the dry but only some are good in the wet. Some owners like Extreme Summer tires because the tread design is very aggressive looking as they are basically a competition tire that can be used on the street, they also come in sizes that allow for lower sidewalls for a given tire width which helps to stiffen the sidewalls and improve handling response but increases ride harshness.

You mention you got 22K miles out of RE-11s which is very long, I would say that they were far past the time to replace them since when tires get old they get very hard/noisy and tread wear slows however ride quality suffers as does grip.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
I have had 3 sets of these Bridgestones, and I ran them way to the end. I am a former shop owner, and an automotive instructor and have used them as an example of do as I say, not as I do. I have known each time, that I was well over my limit. It is amazing how well they stick even when they are way way gone. We just had a month of no rain, then a barrage of rain, so all the oils came up with that first rain. I was hoping to stretch them a couple of months when I throw my winter tires and rims on. I usually go a little more than where I am now, but I'm not taking that chance. I agree with everything you said. The mileage was real for these Bridgestones. I rotated them in the beginning, then decided, forget it, kill the fronts, buy 2, rotate the backs forward, then buy 2 more. I was always happy with them, but they were noisy with such a solid contact patch. These Continentals look good and have great reviews. I am looking forward to how they feel. I just put a set of Koni FSDs in and the ride is incredible, these should add to that. Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:24 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ive....I too have had a lot of experience with various tires over the years...one of my previous favorites was the Bridgestone SO-x series having had the SO4 on my last Miata. Just recently put the Conti DWs on our Roadster and have been very pleased with ride and handling...think you'll enjoy them!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
These DWs are truly great. I cannot believe how incredible this car rides now between the Koni FSDs and these. Its like night and day to what I have been driving for the last 100000 miles. I am running 38 psi to stiffen them up a little since the sidewalls are a bit softer than the RE11s. One major surprise was that these tires are half the weight. Reducing unsprung weight in a Non-S makes a huge difference in performance when running from 60-70, 70-80, 80-90, etc. It feels even more nimble than it did before. What a transformation! Thank you for everyone's thoughts!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 PM
r7denz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice choice. Had the Conti DW's and had no issues whatsoever. Grip and cornering are good.