R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Need help with what else.....convertible top!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with what else.....convertible top!!!

Hi all,

i have an 05 S convertible. We've had absolutely no trouble with it and love it. Until now. The top would go in subroof mode, but wouldn't open. I saw the link on the passenger side had broken, the plastic part of it, that unlatched the latch on the header. I had the interior trim piece off, and the outer plastic trim off too, so my wife could drive it, I only took off the rear sliding portion of the broken link. Ordered the links, in pairs, from ECS. They are fast and do a great job on here with advice. The sunroof continued to work fine. I got the links and discovered I had misplaced the slider plate that the rear portion of the link slides on. I ordered the slider plate. Came back from vacation and the plate is here and I'm set to fix. Should be easy. Now the passenger side won't even open in sunroof. The drivers side does fine, but the passenger side doesn't. It seems like it is jammed in the front area and not releasing properly. I don't think the cable is broken. The latch wants to unlatch but that is because of the boken link I believe. Is it possible the latch end of the link is jamming the mechanism? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Perry

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Anyone out there have any advise on how to fix the problem I have? The passenger side of the top won't roll back into sunroof mode. I know I have a broken latch link and I was going to just replace that, but now the sunroof part is not right.

Thanks,
Perry

Old 06-26-2014, 12:21 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello,

I have a bunch of thread on here how the convertible top functions. Check the whole top and if you can post pics of video that helps. Check number #15 , the slider piece that connects to those #18 double latches you bought. Check both sides. The cables attache to #14 which is a set also. Make sure it did not detach from the cable itself. When one side works and not the other. Also the cables could be stretched or ground by the teeth gear on the motor. #7 that sets right above the main cassette #1 .

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nlatching.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Hey,

Thanks for the response. I was excited to install the links I got from you and only needed the slider piece as I lost mine. Then, the sunroof wouldn't open. I have not heard grinding or other noises from the sunroof motor, so hopefully thats not the trouble. I suspect the cable came out of the slider on the end. do the cables not have any ends on them when they go into the motor?

Thanks,
Perry

Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome, these tops have a bunch of moving parts and when something breaks you have to stop using the top otherwise you might damage something else. Just good to know.

The cables go from the front slider / latching and slide on the rails which of course is pulled by the motor evenly. They overlap in the back and when all the way towards the front ( closed position ) , there is a little extra slack at the end , so the motors does not run out of cable.

Sunroof Mechanism / Convertible Top Cable Set Part # 54347174761

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/54347174761/

#1 Front Cassette ( Sunroof assembly / top box ) Part # 54347180038

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/54347180038/

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
I've followed the video on this repair and so far it's gone good. i broke some of the tabs on the front of the top, but I think I can epoxy or somehow fix them.

where I ran into a problem is when they say to push on the plastic tab in the front to release the sliding header for the sunroof, the driver side is no problem, but the passenger side won't push back to disengage.

I had the broken link on that side also, and I believe the cable is off that side.

I've attached pictures and a video to show what I mean.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Perry

Attached Thumbnails Need help with what else.....convertible top!!!-image.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I cant see it from the pic, its all overexposed in the pic. Don't see the video ?

Try to take to get a better pic and I will try to figure out what is going on.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Well, I took the Mini to a local shop that does good work. They replaced the broken parts on the passenger side rail and got the sunroof part working. However, the rest of the top won't go down now. I didn't have any trouble with that part before. I don't know if the tech turned to screw in the back correctly, and I think he knows about the package shelf switch. When they push the button to open the back part, the light flashes. Is there something he may be overlooking? Maybe another switch or a reset of some sort? I am stopping to check on it tomorrow morning.

Perry

Old 07-10-2014, 05:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, I would check the rear parcel shelf is in place, the flashing light once the sunroof portion is put back is due to the system detecting the micro switch in the back is not depressed, or some other obstruction , so it will not damage itself. Also the shelf has two positions , upper and lower. Make sure its in the lower position and the rear side latches are pushed down and locked.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-position.html

Also some people had to reset the top by I believe closing it all the way. Then disconnecting the battery and reconnecting.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
I stopped and talked to the tech. He did do the screw in the back, and the parcel shelf is OK, he knows about the switch. He got it to manually open, then it did work to close under it's own power. Hopefully it's just a switch or sensor out of wack. I mention the reset also. Thanks for the help and anything else you can think of.

Perry

Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes, I would check the rear parcel shelf is in place, the flashing light once the sunroof portion is put back is due to the system detecting the micro switch in the back is not depressed, or some other obstruction , so it will not damage itself. Also the shelf has two positions , upper and lower. Make sure its in the lower position and the rear side latches are pushed down and locked.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-position.html

Also some people had to reset the top by I believe closing it all the way. Then disconnecting the battery and reconnecting.

Thanks
You mention the pacel tray has two positions. I am only aware of one when closed. Can you illustrate? Also, how easy is it to damage or missalign this switch?

Perry

Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep,

Its linked in hat other thread on how to make sure its in place, Parcel shelf Upper position , does not touch the sensor.

Parcel shelf lowers position , touches the sensor. And then you lock each side latch down.

Its easy to mis-align it. The rear self has to be flat and horizontal and making contact on both bottom panels and the front ***** hooked into the side of the rear roll over supports. Then those latches on each side that swing up must be locked down. Once that's done then micro switch depressed lets the top go all the way back and down.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Just wondering,if it isn't the micro switch in back, where else would we look to fix the issue? He had it hooked up to the BMW diagnostics,so I hope that may help. So close to being done.

Perry

Old 07-11-2014, 04:22 PM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Talked to the show today and they are stuck for ideas. They called the dealer and they didn't know either. They are calling Mini North America to see if they can help.

Anyone have any idea what would cause the top to operate to the closed position, but not go past the sunroof open position? The hydraulics all work, but there has to be a switch or sensor not letting the hydraulic motor operate.

Perry

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM
gbtr6
1st Gear
Shop called today.... SUCCESS. After having Mini NA hook up to the cars computer, the relays and everything is OK, and the commands were OK, so the tech adjusted the top, and voila, it works. The tech was fantastic, and the shop helped by not charging exactly the hours they had in it.

So, we are back on the road again. If there's anyone in the Green Bay area that needs an alternate to the dealer, let me know and I can recommend this shop.

Perry

Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Awesome, I somehow knew it needed adjusted by the right person. Like it was binding and would not release. Glad you got it fixed. Now for some top down motoring.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
54347174761 is back in stock.
So now your bumping old dead threads just to SPAM the forums up.

I think these should be reported

Old 02-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Post redacted at poster's volition.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM
Projectboats
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
New member here. I have the broken plastic latch #54347174763
I'm in the disassembly process and have the plastic covers removed and can see the broken part. There is a hex headed bolt that is a pivot point for this assembly but I'm not sure if I can just back it out? There isn't enough room to get a allen wrench on it due to the rail. Those YouTube videos on this repair are brutal to watch with that one handed photography. Are you willing to describe the process?
The sunroof works fine but the top doesn't. I have no history on the problem so hoping the latch repair will do the trick.....?

thanks in advance.
Duncan