R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top opens only in sunroof position

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Gmes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top opens only in sunroof position

Hello,
There are many topics with the same problem, but I didn't find the exact answer to my question.
I have Mini Cooper 2005, bought with not working roof, to be precise it opens only on half and red bulb blinks
I tried to open levers in the trunk after that roof opened a little bit more
Now the windows go down and seems that the roof might open, but it doesn't.
I read about shelf and seems it sets up in right position, also I don't know about ropes with ***** on the shelf, what are they for?

Old 08-02-2013, 05:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Just to ad a visual and a little information: Posted this in another thread and hope it will help people out to check the parcel shelf first again. I have added a little more information with the pictures. The rope loop is used to hook on the inside rear lid of the convertible top. When you open the latch the convertible top rear lip lifts up the parcel deck from the front portion. Giving more access. The ball just catches the boot of the parcel deck, check out the pics of the parcel deck.

To mention the parcel shelf , its so sensitive with the micro switch in the rear. If the parcel shelf is just not right. You will get the red flashing light right after you roll the sunroof position back. The function like to protect itself from damaging the top when you put it back and rest on the parcel.

I posted this in another thread but if anyone has trouble putting there top down past the sunroof position always check the rear position of the parcel deck. If the parcel deck is stored on the "lower" position its the sensor that needs the foot to contact, if its on upper position ( for extra storage, on the top pegs under the rear headrest ) you will need to reset the parcel deck to the lower position and make sure its fitted right.

Here are some diagrams and pics.

Check the rear parcel deck in the trunk. It has to be in the "lower" position and foot of the parcel shelf rest on the micro switch in the trunk that is on the rear left panel. If it off a bit you cannot open the top past sunroof position. In the rear of the mounts ( facing towards the front of the MINI ) sets in the notch part of the roll bar assembly ( lower ). Also I have seen some micro switches on the inter-trunk piece go bad. Is the whole trim to replace. Make sure the micro-switch is clicking when the rubber part of the foot sets on it. Also the parcel shelf should be pretty level.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51466980045/ES119734/

#1 in diagram

Parcel shelf located in the trunk. Part number 51467146370 Rear Window Parcel Shelf Deck

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51467146370/ES119944/

*This is in top position which the parcel does not touch the sensor thus top only goes back to sunroof . In the rear of the mounts ( facing towards the front of the MINI ) set in the peg part of the roll bar assembly. Also the parcel shelf should be pretty level.

This is in bottom position: make sure you close the latch on the side down.

bottom position: Latched.

Thanks and I hope that helps.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Gmes
Neutral
Hello.
Thank you so much for your answer.
I have done what you wrote, but I think the reason is different.
Having checked the parcel deck, I began to open the top, it goes till sunroof position, after duble click windows go down.
In the trunk I heard clicks and motor sound.
After that I closed the top at a tens atempt, red light was blinking.
I shot the video, where I tryed to open top (It was secont time) clicks where heard, but motor sound was not.
You also mentioned something about the mounts in the notch part of the roll bar assembly, could you specify what I should with them or how I can check them?

Alex

Video:

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, I cannot hear any click in the video. Thanks for uploading it.

But in the video the rear side panel is missing ( on the left hand side near the motor ) its screws. Which means it was possible removed at some point, maybe. That makes me wonder if someone has messed with the sensor or panel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51466980045/ES119734/

#4 in the diagram but for the other panel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/17517552373/

I would inspect to make sure someone did not remove that panel and unplug the micro-switch from the wire harness.

After you check that.

Second, If you can undo the #8 in the trunk which is a carpet insert, that gives acess to the rear of the motor.

The above diagram shows the motor that sets in the back left hand corner of the the side trunk panel. #2 and has a electrical wire harness plugged into it , you can pull back the carpet and make sure its plugged in all the way and there is fluid in the reservoir. Reservoir is on the back side.

Its good to check the whole system out.

On the top, when you press the button the second time right before the motor lifts the top, the top motor pulls the sunroof back a bit a couple inches and unlocks hooks that set right above the side rear window. These can only be seen when the top is up. They can sometimes stick. But if your top motor does not slide back really quick the second time, its usually related to the switch in the trunk, or possible the hall sensor in the top.

Here is a video that shows the full operation of the top, you can see when the press the top open button the second time, the top slides back a bit, couple inches.

Thanks and let me know what you find out.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Gmes
Neutral

Last edited by Gmes; 08-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Gmes
Neutral

Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Gmes
Neutral
Sunroof position

Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Gmes,

I cannot see the pics you posted. If you can PM me the links I can try to post them for you. Once I see the pics I can tell which micro switches.

Liquid in reservoir with be just above half.

Thanks

Thanks

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Gmes
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Gmes,

I cannot see the pics you posted. If you can PM me the links I can try to post them for you. Once I see the pics I can tell which micro switches.

Liquid in reservoir with be just above half.

Thanks

Thanks
Hello,
I checked all connections in left side.
Reservoir shows liquid little bit less than half.

What is this handle for?

After double click on the tops button, I clearly hear clicks from these micro switches.

What else can I check?
What you for your advice

Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sent PM.

Thanks

Ok got the pics fixed for you. I can see it now with the links.

" Hello,
I checked all connections in left side.
Reservoir shows liquid little bit less than half."

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/1493/e6ga.jpg

Looks normal and I don't see any residue of a leak from the pump.

"What is this handle for?"

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/8425/ehhz.jpg

That's for the emergency release of the gas lid door. Its green and you can pull it towards the rear.

After double click on the tops button, I clearly hear clicks from these micro switches.

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/8099/z0zm.jpg

What else can I check?
What you for your advice

That's looks like the relays for the convertible top , I will have to dig a little into the wiring diagrams and relays to see all the connections. I will get back to you on this and see what its related to.

Also when you disconnected the trim plastic panel in the back was the plug connected to the micro switch ? If someone has removed it before it might have been disconnected.

Thanks

Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Gmes
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sent PM.
Also when you disconnected the trim plastic panel in the back was the plug connected to the micro switch ? If someone has removed it before it might have been disconnected.
Thanks
Yes, everything was connected.
Thank's a lot for your help.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM
colinu
Neutral
At the risk of hijacking this thread... I think I may have a similar problem. My top tries to open - even to the extent of the 'claws' that clamp onto the A-pillar open but then won't open any further (but if I push firmly up on the cross bar above my head whilst pressing the open button - then the whole top will open fully and fold into the trunk). So I'm thinking my problem is s hall sensor problem (defective or out of alignment)... but don't know exactly where they are located or the best way to identify if they are faulty.
Any thoughts, suggestions???

Cheers,
Colin.

P.S.
Originally I thought it was the cables jamming so I stripped the the top (as per the famous YouTube video) and removed/inspected the cables. After reassembly the top worked for a week or two, then it's back in this defective state :(

Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Monte2773
Neutral
There are also two switches on the left and right of the soft top reachable through the rear ! Lift the rear and with a flash light make sure the switches on both sides are just resting on the connection! They might be disengaged ! I had an issue like that once and found that after flipping those back out my top worked! I hope this helps my mini friend

Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM
colinu
Neutral
I'll take a look at them this evening, but...
I thought there were only switches/sensors on the LEFT side of the soft top frame (not both) - as per items 3 and 4 on Fig12 here... http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/mini/C...20OVERVIEW.pdf

Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 AM
coolmini
Neutral
My 05 mini has almost exact same issue - it won't go pass the sunroof stage. It would slide a couple inches after the sunroof stage and disengage the lock, but then the open button shows flashing light right after and the process won't go any further. I checked the parcel deck, both handle levers in the trunk and both sensors are touched with click sound.

One thing I am able to do is to push the top up with one of my hands for roughly 6 inches while holding the open top button with another hand, I can continue the open process till the top is fully open.

So what could possibly be gone wrong?

Please share your thoughts and suggestions on what I should check to have this issue resolved.

Much appreciated!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM
colinu
Neutral
That's exactly the same problem as I have... and like you I can open the top if I push (hard!) to give it a helping hand for the first 6 inches then the motors kick in and open it all the way.
I think (guessing really!) that it may be one of the hall sensors inside the hood frame that is misaligned hence preventing the control unit/motors from operating. I do plan to strip the canvas off the frame sometime and investigate but with the rainy season about to start in north CA I'll probably leave that until Sping time (in case I end up with a perminantly open soft top amd a MINI resembling a swimming pool!).
If anyone has info on the location of those hall sensors and if there is an easy way to acccess them (i.e. without a full strip sown of the canvas) then that would be very much appreciated. Likewise for any other troubleshoting info.

Cheers,
Colin.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Gmes
Neutral
Yesterday I made diagnostic for my Mini in Mini Cooper Service
The reason is Sunroof Cassette. The service offer me to change it for $2500
Also they checked roof cables and they are good. Do you have any recommendation how to get started to identify breakage in sunroof cassette.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Gmes - PM'd you.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 AM
haji3
2nd Gear
on a semi related note, The brass "screw" that is used to allow the manual closing of the top has been rounded out by some one using the wrong size hex tool. Anybody else thought of how to repair this?

I've thought of JB welding a screw into it but I'm afraid if that doesn't work I'm really screwed.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by haji3
on a semi related note, The brass "screw" that is used to allow the manual closing of the top has been rounded out by some one using the wrong size hex tool. Anybody else thought of how to repair this?

I've thought of JB welding a screw into it but I'm afraid if that doesn't work I'm really screwed.
Think you are talking about this. Convertible Top Motor Part # 67616961172

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/67616961172/

And using the Allen wrench to close it. You could try a little larger Allen and see if you could press it in more. Or try to get it with some needle nose vice grips on the outside metal and turn it by hand. So you can close the top. If the that top motor is broken , you have the part number above. Do you still have the original allen wrench in the tool case ?

Thanks and hope that helps/

Old 10-07-2022, 12:52 AM
Rafael G
Neutral
Hello everyone,
I am having a problem with my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible top. When trying to open it, it is sliding halfway back, but not fulling opening. I have the button pushed down in the back of the trunk also. Ive token it apart a bit and manually got it to retract back and opening the hydraulic valve to allow to open fully. When pushing the button to close the top it does work, which is weird. I hear the hydraulic motor working to close the top from a fully opened position. But from a closed position, only the sunroof slides back and then nothing else happens. please help, thankyou!!

Old 10-09-2022, 06:35 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
When it reaches the sunroof position do the rear windows try and roll down?

Old 10-10-2022, 02:23 PM
bill51
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top needs help

Same problem for me. Top will open to sunroof position just fine. Push top open button again and top unlatched from windshield, slides open a bout two more inches, front windows go down 1/2 way and back windows lower completely. Then the red light on the open button start to flash and nothing else’s happens. If I keep the open button depressed and push up on the top frame 6-10 inches the hydraulic motor will kick in and open the top completely. When I’m ready to close top all I have to is press the button. Top closes perfectly. When I figure this out I’ll share my findings.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:50 AM
Quincy2003
Neutral
Hi guys, just brought home my R52 Cooper S, and it seems to have the same problem as the person above. It opens the sunroof, opens the windows and unlatches the clamps, but then I get an error light.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-17-2023, 04:09 PM
waswas132
Neutral
Originally Posted by Quincy2003
Hi guys, just brought home my R52 Cooper S, and it seems to have the same problem as the person above. It opens the sunroof, opens the windows and unlatches the clamps, but then I get an error light.

Any thoughts?
Any luck on this? I just got an R52 and the top seems to be doing the same as yours - sunroof is fine, then I hit the button again and it unlatches and move about an inch before blinking red occurs. If I hold the button any longer, I have to power off and on the car to close the roof again.
I have checked fuses and the parcel switches. Also looks like there is plenty of hydraulic fluid. I don't want to take the whole thing apart if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: R52 Top opens only in sunroof position