R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 are these deals for real?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are these deals for real?

hey there.. i was doing some research on cars and found these that are on sale..is there something wrong or is ti too good to be true? i sent email adn hope i get reply... if its true, i am getting one and paying CASH

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1028

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1668

Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa, can I have the other one

Lois

Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Cubfan
2nd Gear
I know for almost a FACT that they're fake. I emailed similar people when I was looking... "too good to be true" prices and incredibly low mileage on Cooper convertibles or under 30K miles with unbelievable prices. See if you don't get an answer similar to this:

----

The car is in Georgia. Where are you from? I have list the car on many locations so I can sell it asap. Like I have told you this is a charity sell so we must use a company. I decided to use eBay company. I am ready to reserve the car for you and end the ad earlier if you agree with my price and my terms.
Here is how the process works:
- you give me your full name and shipping address,
- I start a transaction on eBay company,
- they send you the payment instructions,
- you send the money into eBay trust account,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I ship the car,
- you receive the car,
- they send me the money.
They will hold the money until the car is delivered to you, with properly executed title. You have 5 days for the inspection period. If the car is not like described you will have to ship it back in 30 business days on my expense, but I am sure that you will love it.

If you agree please send me your full name and shipping address in order to start the transaction!
Thank you,
Alvin
---
I reported this guy to Autotrader and they took down his ad. More sprouted like it in other parts of the country.
Ask to see the car and make a cash deal, and no matter where they are, say "I have a friend who lives a few miles away, can I send him over?" If they decline, stay far away.

Also notice that the ad for the red one claims the car is in Orlando, yet the phone number is in the 313 area code, and the license plate is definitely not Florida. The other one looks extremely similar to the one where the guy emailed me above, and I think the price and mileage are almost exactly the same.

Hey, if you're lucky, he might have a Nigerian check you can cash for him and keep most of the money, too.

Last edited by Cubfan; 06-23-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Lovemonkey
1st Gear
The fact that the first pic is very poorly photoshoped is what i noticed in the fist link.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Cubfan
2nd Gear
Both are gone now. Wonder why?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Cubfan
2nd Gear
Hey, Lois... I've been meaning to tell you that the ugly logo your signature really clashes with your beautiful Cooper.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Hey, Lois... I've been meaning to tell you that the ugly logo your signature really clashes with your beautiful Cooper.
I've noticed you, too Can't imagine why My first MINI was red. Should have kept up the tradition

Lois

Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Cubfan
2nd Gear
I notice your smiley looking up. Kinda like your team is looking up to mine (in the standings).

Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
obviously a scam... the poor grammar and/or very formal use of the language is a dead giveaway.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Cubfan
2nd Gear
Since the ad is now gone, I did save a screenshot. Very similar to the scam someone tried to pull on me. Here's the scammer's original email after I contacted him:

---

Yes, the car is still available for sale and it is under warranty.

This is a charity sell, I will donate the money to a children foundation so the deal will be concluded through a company. This is first time when I sell on AutoTrader so for me is better to use eBay company. I hope that is fine for you. The price is $14670 with shipping included. If you want to buy the car, send me your full name and delivery address and eBay company will contact you with all the details regarding this transaction ( shipping and payment details ).

If you agree with my price and my terms I am ready to reserve the car for you.

I am waiting for your email.

Thank you,
Alvin

----

Yeah, right.

I strung him along a bit asking every way I knew to actually see the car, saying I had a friend nearby who could come to see it (which was true). He said he travels too much on business and couldn't do it.

Here's one of the original scam ads, since it's now been taken down:

Old 06-29-2008, 03:31 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
Plenty of these on ebay.co.uk and most use a set of photos and description from an auction already in progress on the site, I have fun trying to find the other one.

peter

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 AM
revray
4th Gear
Off the top of my head, there's only one exception that I can think of that is "too good to be true!" So ngweibing whenever you see such things, just remember the old adage ... "If it's too good to be true, it probably is!"

Well, maybe there's one other thing as well ... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=145543

_

Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Originally Posted by revray
Off the top of my head, there's only one exception that I can think of that is "too good to be true!" So ngweibing whenever you see such things, just remember the old adage ... "If it's too good to be true, it probably is!"

Well, maybe there's one other thing as well ... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=145543

_

Yeah... NOW i know..

Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 AM
wewantamini
1st Gear
There have beem similar ones posted on Craigslist.One was a car that was at a Bentley dealer in St. Louis.Guy said in was in Idaho he was in Eurpoe on biz needed to sell it fast.Offered to sell it through eBays VPP plan all a big scam.I reported him to eBay and to Google since he was using a gmail acct.eBay said they would look into it have not heard back from them

Old 06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Craig's List gets lots of fraud listings, so much so that CL posts lots of cautions on the vehicles page. What they say pretty much applies to any online car or motorcycle listing.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Examples of Scams

1. Someone claims that craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that craigslist will handle or provide protection for a payment
  • These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.
  • Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!
2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check
  • you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
  • cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
  • value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
  • banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
  • scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)
3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:
  • Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything
  • Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
  • Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
  • Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
  • Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc
4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:
  • this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
  • sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
  • scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
  • deal often seems too good to be true
5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.
  • most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
  • for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"
6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods
  • he says he trusts you with the partial payment
  • he may say he has already shipped the goods
  • deal often sounds too good to be true
7. foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds
  • foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly
  • you are typically offered a percentage of payments received
  • this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email

Last edited by MichaelSF; 06-29-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Counter Scam ... Very Long Thread

Some have had good sport doing counter-scam .... link is here ... the NSX guys went on and on and on ... conclusion, with pix, after many pages is a hoot.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS07MGM
Some have had good sport doing counter-scam .... link is here ... the NSX guys went on and on and on ... conclusion, with pix, after many pages is a hoot.
This is priceless! I laughed so hard cookies came outta my nose!